This discussion is closed.
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
Yonder pedant, who is he?
Huh?
theone
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by ZJuwelH)
Good luck to you too! Have you had a look at a sample of the STEP we're supposed to take yet?
I did STEP I last year and got a 2, missed a 1 by 4 marks, pretty gutted to be honest.

In all honesty, I've being trying to practice on old STEP III's and, whilst hard, I don't think they're impossible with lots of practice.

And the sample STEP II on the Cambridge website is quite hard in places...

Have you taken the BMO before? Now that has hard questions...
LH
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
Huh?
Corruption of Good King Wenceslas, from this year's Private Eye's Christmas Cards.
theone
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
Just aside, your DI Grim quote's are awesome... he's so funny.
LH
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by theone)
Just aside, your DI Grim quote's are awesome... he's so funny.
I think I've got the best three.
Juwel
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
I did STEP I last year and got a 2, missed a 1 by 4 marks, pretty gutted to be honest.

In all honesty, I've being trying to practice on old STEP III's and, whilst hard, I don't think they're impossible with lots of practice.

And the sample STEP II on the Cambridge website is quite hard in places...

Have you taken the BMO before? Now that has hard questions...
How come you took STEP I before? A 2 is a great result by the way!
Never heard of the BMO (or maybe I have but I don't remember the abbreviation), but I have done the Intermediate Maths Challenge and got a gold! Then I was invited to do the International Intermediate, and got a certificate of participation (which means I suck, doh!). But my teacher is entering the Maths class for the Senior Maths Challenge. I can't wait!
theone
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
How come you took STEP I before? A 2 is a great result by the way!
Never heard of the BMO (or maybe I have but I don't remember the abbreviation), but I have done the Intermediate Maths Challenge and got a gold! Then I was invited to do the International Intermediate, and got a certificate of participation (which means I suck, doh!). But my teacher is entering the Maths class for the Senior Maths Challenge. I can't wait!
I did the BMO (British Maths Olympiad) last year, it's the exam you qualify for if you do well enough in the senior exam. I got 14/50 which was slightly disappointing (you needed 19 to do BMO round 2, only for the top 100).

I also did the International Intermediate in year 11, and was 2 marks off a distinction... i thought it was quite hard at the time.

Good luck with the Senior Challenge as well, we'll have to compare answers
LH
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
I did the BMO (British Maths Olympiad) last year, it's the exam you qualify for if you do well enough in the senior exam. I got 14/50 which was slightly disappointing (you needed 19 to do BMO round 2, only for the top 100).

I also did the International Intermediate in year 11, and was 2 marks off a distinction... i thought it was quite hard at the time.

A 13 year old at my school did the maths Olympiad thing. He did stupidly well in it.
Juwel
Rep:
Report 18 years ago

Huh, by the sounds of it you'll be telling me all the right answers...
theone
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
Huh, by the sounds of it you'll be telling me all the right answers...
I doubt it somehow... although we have a really clever guy in the year below me, so between us we might get all the answers.

Oh, and I just did STEP I to get some practice for when I have my Cambridge interview, plus it looks good as well.
theone
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
BTW, if you want interview type questions, i.e. short problems, there's a good admissions test on the Trinity website to help you prepare...
Juwel
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
I doubt it somehow... although we have a really clever guy in the year below me, so between us we might get all the answers.

Oh, and I just did STEP I to get some practice for when I have my Cambridge interview, plus it looks good as well.
Hope we get good ones come June. Warwick Uni also ask for a good STEP, are they just begging or is Warwick up there for Maths?
theone
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
Hope we get good ones come June. Warwick Uni also ask for a good STEP, are they just begging or is Warwick up there for Maths?
I think it's up there, also Bath i think might ask for STEP. Both ask for a grade 2, so it's hardly unreasonable. However, an A in f. maths means you don't have to take STEP i think, although STEP really does help improve your maths.
Juwel
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
I think it's up there, also Bath i think might ask for STEP. Both ask for a grade 2, so it's hardly unreasonable. However, an A in f. maths means you don't have to take STEP i think, although STEP really does help improve your maths.
The way I think it goes is:
You do STEP I regardless. If you do only Maths at A-Level then you also do STEP II. If you do double Maths (i.e. Further Maths as well), you do STEP III instead.
Something like that.
I'll probably have to do STEP II since I only took up F-Maths this year as an AS.
Thanks for that sample question type thing!
LH
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
That guy who is thirteen is doing AS Maths now, he got one of the top five Maths GCSE results in the country at 13 and came second in an Imperial Maths competiton for under 18 year olds. I don't like using the owrd genius too liberally, but I would say he is a Maths genius.
emmz
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)
On a scale from 0-10+
aww soz i cant choose 1 coz 0 is not on da scale
pikaboo
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 18 years ago
I got 6 - I was expecting about 2 so I was very pleased.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (37)
9.51%
Okay (113)
29.05%
A bit lacking (147)
37.79%
Not good at all (92)
23.65%

Watched Threads