The Student Room Group

What jobs to apply for? I feel like I've tried everything

I have 1 year experience in retail, 4 months teaching placement experience, and 3 months warehouse experience.

I live in London. I am struggling to find a single job. Anything I show an interest in I almost immediately get a rejection. I've applied for kitchen porter jobs, popular food chains like KFC, McD. Nando's, Costa, Pret, etc. and constantly receive a rejection. I've tried grad schemes, civil service roles, and more.

I feel so deflated. Can anyone suggest some places I may have forgotten about?

In terms of education, I have a BSc, 3 a-levels and 10 GCSEs.
Original post by Eutony
I have 1 year experience in retail, 4 months teaching placement experience, and 3 months warehouse experience.
I live in London. I am struggling to find a single job. Anything I show an interest in I almost immediately get a rejection. I've applied for kitchen porter jobs, popular food chains like KFC, McD. Nando's, Costa, Pret, etc. and constantly receive a rejection. I've tried grad schemes, civil service roles, and more.
I feel so deflated. Can anyone suggest some places I may have forgotten about?
In terms of education, I have a BSc, 3 a-levels and 10 GCSEs.

Have you tried networking? If it's somewhere like London, you usually have cycles as short as 3 months or a few weeks (depending on how bureaucratic the organisation is). You would need to move quickly and have your CV always at the ready.
Also, if you get career advice from people who work in the roles that you want, you are more likely to get something that would help you as opposed to using a generalised approach to all jobs.

On the other hand, have you tried applying to recruitment agencies? There's usually a ton of them in London, and they can usually get you temp work pretty quickly.

What specific job do you want?
If you apply with a BSc for roles that require minimal qualifications, you are likely going to be seen as overqualified (biased and unfair, I know). In which case, you're better off applying for more demanding roles.
Reply 2
Original post by MindMax2000
Have you tried networking? If it's somewhere like London, you usually have cycles as short as 3 months or a few weeks (depending on how bureaucratic the organisation is). You would need to move quickly and have your CV always at the ready.
Also, if you get career advice from people who work in the roles that you want, you are more likely to get something that would help you as opposed to using a generalised approach to all jobs.
On the other hand, have you tried applying to recruitment agencies? There's usually a ton of them in London, and they can usually get you temp work pretty quickly.
What specific job do you want?
If you apply with a BSc for roles that require minimal qualifications, you are likely going to be seen as overqualified (biased and unfair, I know). In which case, you're better off applying for more demanding roles.

Are you able to suggest a few recruitment agencies?
Original post by Eutony
Are you able to suggest a few recruitment agencies?

I think there's Top Star that's based in London for catering temp work. I have only seen them work in specific events near the City though.

Having said that, there are plenty of them in London. I would apply for say 5, and they should get back to you pretty quick. Since you have experience in low level jobs, I very much doubt that you would have problems getting work from agencies.
Reply 4
Original post by MindMax2000
I think there's Top Star that's based in London for catering temp work. I have only seen them work in specific events near the City though.
Having said that, there are plenty of them in London. I would apply for say 5, and they should get back to you pretty quick. Since you have experience in low level jobs, I very much doubt that you would have problems getting work from agencies.

What else could I possibly get into besides hospitality? Any other type of recruitment agencies I might benefit from?
Original post by Eutony
What else could I possibly get into besides hospitality? Any other type of recruitment agencies I might benefit from?

You have warehousing experience and retail experience. Whilst I haven't seen many recruitment agencies in the retail space, there is often quite a bit for warehousing.

What else?
It depends on what you are looking for.
It's a very open ended question, since you can go into 600+ different careers with just A Levels and GCSEs. I am not going to go through all 600+ with you; you would need to be specific.
I don't know enough about your circumstances to comment.

Again, networking tends to work better in London than via application.

Quick Reply