The Student Room Group

Can I apply to a different course at the uni i am currrently at through clearing?

Im in first year right now and i want to change my course to a completely different one next year, and so start from year 1 again.

My uni has normally requires you to contact department and fill in a change of course form, however, my grades are slightly below the A-Level requirements so the student support officer of the department said they cannot consider me for a change of course.

However, as my uni is not the most competitive many students get onto the course with 1 or 2 grades below the requirements.

This is shown by the UCAS Hub which shows the average grade held by students is below the requirements which happens to be my grades as well. I also looked at freedom of information data on 'whatdotheyknow' which shows that many people have entered through clearing with my grades. I personally have a few friends on the course with my grades, and all of them are 1 or 2 grades below.

So... does anyone know if it would be possible for me to try apply through clearing, although i am already at the uni? Though if its not possible i may just apply to a lower ranked uni
(edited 1 month ago)
If they wont consider you because of your grades, then Clearing isnt a sneaky way of getting round this.

The 'average grade on acceptance' is totally misleading as it includes those with Contextual offers, mitigating circumstances etc - it doesnt mean that you can get accepted for that course with those grades.
Do you have a 2024 cycle ucas application?

You would be better off pushing for an internal transfer than paying for a new ucas application
Reply 3
Original post by McGinger
If they wont consider you because of your grades, then Clearing isnt a sneaky way of getting round this.
The 'average grade on acceptance' is totally misleading as it includes those with Contextual offers, mitigating circumstances etc - it doesnt mean that you can get accepted for that course with those grades.

Umm, its not about being 'sneaky.'

Since the average grade for the course on UCAS is my grade, and admissions data on whatdotheyknow show that a significant proportion of students enrol with my grades or often even lower, also through clearing, there may be a chance. I have friends with no contextual offers who enrolled this year with 2 grades lower, not even through clearing.

Am I saying I should or would 100% be let in? Not at all. But if its permissible to try apply through clearing (where it seems theres a great chance of acceptance), there would be no harm in trying.
(edited 1 month ago)
The harm would be the wasted time and application fee.

I’d be surprised if they let you swap this way. Even if you got a verbal offer, you’d then have to refer your app to them at which point they’d see that you were a currently enrolled student.

I can’t rule it out entirely, but I think there’s a 99% chance they’d just say “no, you can’t get around the internal swap process this way”.
Reply 5
Do you have a 2024 cycle ucas application?
You would be better off pushing for an internal transfer than paying for a new ucas application

Yes with no offers. Do you know if it possible for me to try apply through clearing although I am currently enrolled at the uni?

I don't think i can push for an internal transfer because like I said the student support officer told me they cannot transfer students who are even just slightly below requirements.

Although through clearing based on data I have seen from 2023, there could be a massive chance
Reply 6
Original post by Admit-One
The harm would be the wasted time and application fee.
I’d be surprised if they let you swap this way. Even if you got a verbal offer, you’d then have to refer your app to them at which point they’d see that you were a currently enrolled student.
I can’t rule it out entirely, but I think there’s a 99% chance they’d just say “no, you can’t get around the internal swap process this way”.

Ah, fair enough.

I guess Ill try apply to a lower uni or stay on my current course.
Yes with no offers. Do you know if it possible for me to try apply through clearing although I am currently enrolled at the uni?

I don't think i can push for an internal transfer because like I said the student support officer told me they cannot transfer students who are even just slightly below requirements.

Although through clearing based on data I have seen from 2023, there could be a massive chance

Did you tell the student support officer that you have a ucas application and were planning on leaving if you can’t transfer?
Reply 8
Did you tell the student support officer that you have a ucas application and were planning on leaving if you can’t transfer?
No I did not, but I feel like telling them that wouldn't have really made a difference.

They seemed quite firm that they wont let anyone internally transfer if requirements are not exactly met.
(edited 1 month ago)
No I did not, but I feel like telling them that wouldn't have really made a difference.

They seemed quite firm that they wont let anyone internally transfer if requirements are not exactly met.

if that's genuinely the case then clearing wouldn't be an option either

If you're confident that the course regularly accepts people with your grades (and is likely to this autumn) then it's worth asking to speak to someone more senior and explaining that you're planning to leave if you're not able to transfer

Are you sure that they weren't talking about transferring into year 2 of the new course and not restarting?
Reply 10
if that's genuinely the case then clearing wouldn't be an option either
If you're confident that the course regularly accepts people with your grades (and is likely to this autumn) then it's worth asking to speak to someone more senior and explaining that you're planning to leave if you're not able to transfer
Are you sure that they weren't talking about transferring into year 2 of the new course and not restarting?

I'm confident due to data of grades of students on whatdotheyknow from 2023 and before, UCAS Hub, and ppl i know who applied and got in just this year (with no contextual offers). Even clearing data showed 38 students entered through clearing, around half with grades slightly under the requirements like mine, despite clearing requirements being the same as normal.

Do you know what title/role the 'more senior' person who I should try speak and explain to would have?

I'm sure they weren't talking about transferring into year 2.
(edited 1 month ago)
I'm confident due to data of grades of students on whatdotheyknow from 2023 and before, UCAS Hub, and ppl i know who applied and got in just this year (with no contextual offers). Even clearing data showed 38 students entered through clearing, around half with grades slightly under the requirements like mine, despite clearing requirements being the same as normal.

Do you know what title/role the 'more senior' person who I should try speak and explain to would have?

I'm sure they weren't talking about transferring into year 2.

I don’t know the job titles for a department office at your university no. You would need to ask that yourself. Your student union might be able to help you with navigating the bureaucracy of your university.

Did you even fill in the form? The form usually gives more information on who is making decisions in a process. That’s who you need to speak to.
Reply 12
I don’t know the job titles for a department office at your university no. You would need to ask that yourself. Your student union might be able to help you with navigating the bureaucracy of your university.
Did you even fill in the form? The form usually gives more information on who is making decisions in a process. That’s who you need to speak to.

Yeah I did fill in the form. The form just states to contact the school/institute and on their page it refers to the student support page to find the contact details.

I asked for the contact details, emailed the person they told me. The person looped me back to the student support officer who said they could only process transfers if exact requirements are met.

I also tried emailing the admissions team, who gave me a department email of the course to contact, which has not even responded to date. I might just accept it as what it is, and plan on leaving for another uni or stay on my current course.
(edited 1 month ago)

Quick Reply