The Student Room Group

Revision techniques

Hi I am currently am using the technique where I revise for 20 minutes and then take a break for 5 minutes.

What I am revising is mainly theroy based. So I am going through the questions and answering them.

Afterwards I read the understanding behind the question and make up notes about the understanding.

I then repeat until I get everything right. From on I am using 1 3 7 10 14 day method.

However there are times where let's say there are 60 of my own questions. I forget 10 of them and it always seem to be the same ones

Is there any advice to fix this
Original post by Mufc994
Hi I am currently am using the technique where I revise for 20 minutes and then take a break for 5 minutes.
What I am revising is mainly theroy based. So I am going through the questions and answering them.
Afterwards I read the understanding behind the question and make up notes about the understanding.
I then repeat until I get everything right. From on I am using 1 3 7 10 14 day method.
However there are times where let's say there are 60 of my own questions. I forget 10 of them and it always seem to be the same ones
Is there any advice to fix this

I am currently am using the technique where I revise for 20 minutes and then take a break for 5 minutes.
Pomodoro technique

Active recall

there are times where let's say there are 60 of my own questions. I forget 10 of them and it always seem to be the same onesIs there any advice to fix this
Can I confirm which subject is this for?
Why would you specifically need to memorise all of your own questions for the subject you are studying? A lot of the exam based material is usually testing your application and critical thinking.
Reply 2
Original post by MindMax2000
I am currently am using the technique where I revise for 20 minutes and then take a break for 5 minutes.
Pomodoro technique
Active recall
there are times where let's say there are 60 of my own questions. I forget 10 of them and it always seem to be the same onesIs there any advice to fix this
Can I confirm which subject is this for?
Why would you specifically need to memorise all of your own questions for the subject you are studying? A lot of the exam based material is usually testing your application and critical thinking.

It is for my ba4 which us the foundation level of cima.

So for example let's say off topic.

What flavour of ice cream does Sarah loves the most.

I will memorise the answer has chocolate

However I will make questions on why the answer was chocolate to help my understanding
Original post by Mufc994
It is for my ba4 which us the foundation level of cima.
So for example let's say off topic.
What flavour of ice cream does Sarah loves the most.
I will memorise the answer has chocolate
However I will make questions on why the answer was chocolate to help my understanding

If you are doing BA4 in CIMA, there should be practice questions that you can get from approved learning providers. See:
https://hub.cimaglobal.com/resources/question-practice
https://cimastudy.com/cima-levels/aptitude

Buying the resources you need on the cheap is usually cheaper and quicker than making your own.

However, your approach to the technique does work. I do find it easier to do more practice questions around the particular topics or questions that you have in mind. Straight memorisation of the answers is more difficult than if you apply the knowledge in various contexts. So following your example, there might be an indirect question about her favourite ice cream flavour e.g. During Sarah's exam preparation period, what did she said that she wanted as a reward for passing her exams? or Sarah recently spoke to her friends about what they did for the summer and the topic of ice cream came up, what did they talked about?
The more things you can link to the topic discussed, the easier it is to remember it.

Quick Reply