The Student Room Group

Firm and Insurance Choice - Can I choose which I go to?

This may seem like a bit of a silly question, but I have my firm and insurance choice both down for the University of York (obviously different courses) and I think that I prefer my insurance choice over my firm choice.

If I get the grades to get into what is currently my firm choice, would I still be allowed to go to my insurance choice course? If you're wondering why I didn't put my insurance choice as my firm choice originally, it is both because I originally though that I preferred my current firm choice and it is also because I would feel silly putting down my insurance choice as something that has higher grades than my firm.

I've currently got English Literature (AAA) as my firm but I think I'd rather do English Literature / Linguistics (AAB, it will be ABB once I complete my MOOC) which is my current insurance. I did both English Literature and English Language separately at A-Level and it took me actually physically sitting the exams to realise how much I love English Language and I don't think I want to give it up.

If anyone has any advice that would be greatly appreciated!
You cannot switch your Firm and Insurance on Results Day.
If you are accepted for your Firm choice, your Insurance disappears and you cannot get it back.

You can still switch your Firm and Insurance if you want to (ie. literally change your F & I around) - most Unis will allow you to do this even after the 14-day grace period. Phone UCAS to get the process started - but be very certain that this really is what you want to do before you make that call.
Original post by McGinger
You cannot switch your Firm and Insurance on Results Day.
If you are accepted for your Firm choice, your Insurance disappears and you cannot get it back.
You can still switch your Firm and Insurance if you want to (ie. literally change your F & I around) - most Unis will allow you to do this even after the 14-day grace period. Phone UCAS to get the process started - but be very certain that this really is what you want to do before you make that call.

Thank you! I knew you couldn't switch the two on Results Day buy hearing you can still switch the two before then is really reassuring! I just wanted to make sure it was possible before making a fool myself by emailing my university.
Reply 3
Considering they are really similar courses, you would also likely be able to switch anyway in September when you start your firm course
Original post by spoken-recliner
Thank you! I knew you couldn't switch the two on Results Day buy hearing you can still switch the two before then is really reassuring! I just wanted to make sure it was possible before making a fool myself by emailing my university.

You may be able to switch them - it isnt a given, although Unis rarely object - but you call UCAS to do this, not the Uni.

Quick Reply