The Student Room Group

Year 12 mocks

I’m about to start my year 12 mocks tomorrow which will count towards my UCAS grades

I used to be one of those people who didn’t have to study much to get really good grades, but since I started my a-levels I find everything so hard no matter how much I study. I started really early at the beginning of the year slowly building up my studying but the past two months I’ve been really burnt out so I really slacked with my revision. Two weeks ago I really locked in with my revision but it wasn’t enough. I take biology and chemistry and everything was just too much to learn in such a short period of time. I’ve been going to bed late into the night studying and waking up in the early hours to study for days on end but nothing feels like it’s enough. I want to study biomedical science at uni for my undergraduate and all the good universities have really high grade boundaries, If I don’t do well in these exams I don’t know what i’ll do. My first Chem exam is tomorrow i’ve been studying non stop and I feel so anxious, i’m trying to keep studying but I can’t stop crying, i’m so scared that I’ll fail. I’m way less prepared than everyone else and it’s really getting to me. I’ve never been so stressed in my life.

I don’t know how my future will look if these exams don’t go well.
Original post by munalove
I’m about to start my year 12 mocks tomorrow which will count towards my UCAS grades
I used to be one of those people who didn’t have to study much to get really good grades, but since I started my a-levels I find everything so hard no matter how much I study. I started really early at the beginning of the year slowly building up my studying but the past two months I’ve been really burnt out so I really slacked with my revision. Two weeks ago I really locked in with my revision but it wasn’t enough. I take biology and chemistry and everything was just too much to learn in such a short period of time. I’ve been going to bed late into the night studying and waking up in the early hours to study for days on end but nothing feels like it’s enough. I want to study biomedical science at uni for my undergraduate and all the good universities have really high grade boundaries, If I don’t do well in these exams I don’t know what i’ll do. My first Chem exam is tomorrow i’ve been studying non stop and I feel so anxious, i’m trying to keep studying but I can’t stop crying, i’m so scared that I’ll fail. I’m way less prepared than everyone else and it’s really getting to me. I’ve never been so stressed in my life.
I don’t know how my future will look if these exams don’t go well.
First up, just breathe and try to relax. It sounds like you've been working hard so don't be so hard on urself. I'm sure the hard work will pay off. Remember that your mental health and stress levels are also important when it comes to an exam.
Secondly, unless you are applying to a Russel group uni - you still have time to get a good predicated grade. I got Ds in my mocks but my predicated grade came out to to 3 Bs. I know a B isn't exactly high for doing a stem subject in uni but there was a massive jump nonetheless. Ask your school what can be done bc I did that to mine and I just kept asking them to mark work which boosted my grade up - plus I still had topic tests in year 13 that went towards my predicated grades.
I remember panicking about my predicated grades too, the end of year 12 and beginning of year 13 was a stressful time. I applied to a course where it was AAB but I still got an offer even though my predicated grades were BBB. I'm not like from a bad area or low income - they just simply offered it to me. I guess my personal statement was good enough. So remember that you can still get offers even if you're a grade or two below - you just need a good personal statement.
If it makes you feel any better, the last line of what you wrote is what i'm thinking all the time. Now that I have 2 of my actual A-levels left - i've only realized how badly I've done rip. I'm sure life will work out for both of us.
heyaa ik a lot of ppl at my school who didn’t get the predicted grades they wanted so they just asked their teachers to change it when they explained what they wanted to do at uni and literally all of the teachers agreed bc it’s not like they want u to fail 😭 also idk abt all schools but my school allows you to retake your year 12 mocks with different papers after the year 12 summer holidays so you could ask your school abt that if ur exams don’t go as well as expected

but honestly i dont think you will need that you sound like you have been studying hard and trust me its never as bad as u think try to calm down take a short break if u have to and distract urself by doing something that calms/that u enjoy like watching a yt vid idk 😭 then go back to studying prioritise what you don’t know and focus on UNDERSTANDING not on memorising especially for science as it’s so much application this will really get ur grade up I recommend watching a yt vid on the topics u are less strong on and talking to chat gpt about it ask them straight up to help u understand and get them to ask u questions so u can explain it perfectly and understand it well then do some questions to help use the right wording like in bio where mark schemes are very specific

I wish you good luck u will do amazing and trust me if the absolute worst happens and u don’t do as well as you hope there are other options like I said earlier u will be fine 💕
Reply 3
Original post by cherrycosmos
First up, just breathe and try to relax. It sounds like you've been working hard so don't be so hard on urself. I'm sure the hard work will pay off. Remember that your mental health and stress levels are also important when it comes to an exam.
Secondly, unless you are applying to a Russel group uni - you still have time to get a good predicated grade. I got Ds in my mocks but my predicated grade came out to to 3 Bs. I know a B isn't exactly high for doing a stem subject in uni but there was a massive jump nonetheless. Ask your school what can be done bc I did that to mine and I just kept asking them to mark work which boosted my grade up - plus I still had topic tests in year 13 that went towards my predicated grades.
I remember panicking about my predicated grades too, the end of year 12 and beginning of year 13 was a stressful time. I applied to a course where it was AAB but I still got an offer even though my predicated grades were BBB. I'm not like from a bad area or low income - they just simply offered it to me. I guess my personal statement was good enough. So remember that you can still get offers even if you're a grade or two below - you just need a good personal statement.
If it makes you feel any better, the last line of what you wrote is what i'm thinking all the time. Now that I have 2 of my actual A-levels left - i've only realized how badly I've done rip. I'm sure life will work out for both of us.

Thank you so much for the advice, and I hope it works out for us too:smile:
Reply 4
Original post by annabel whittle
heyaa ik a lot of ppl at my school who didn’t get the predicted grades they wanted so they just asked their teachers to change it when they explained what they wanted to do at uni and literally all of the teachers agreed bc it’s not like they want u to fail 😭 also idk abt all schools but my school allows you to retake your year 12 mocks with different papers after the year 12 summer holidays so you could ask your school abt that if ur exams don’t go as well as expected
but honestly i dont think you will need that you sound like you have been studying hard and trust me its never as bad as u think try to calm down take a short break if u have to and distract urself by doing something that calms/that u enjoy like watching a yt vid idk 😭 then go back to studying prioritise what you don’t know and focus on UNDERSTANDING not on memorising especially for science as it’s so much application this will really get ur grade up I recommend watching a yt vid on the topics u are less strong on and talking to chat gpt about it ask them straight up to help u understand and get them to ask u questions so u can explain it perfectly and understand it well then do some questions to help use the right wording like in bio where mark schemes are very specific
I wish you good luck u will do amazing and trust me if the absolute worst happens and u don’t do as well as you hope there are other options like I said earlier u will be fine 💕

Okay, thank you so much, I was having a bit of a mental breakdown there.
Okay, thank you so much, I was having a bit of a mental breakdown there.

it’s alr dw u will be fine come back and let us know how it goes ! 💕
Reply 6
Original post by annabel whittle
it’s alr dw u will be fine come back and let us know how it goes ! 💕

update, I've done my paper 1 for chemistry and biology. Both went TERRIBLE, but I'm hoping paper two will be better. If those also turn out badly then I'll just plead with my teachers to let me take another paper in September and spend the summer studying for it.
update, I've done my paper 1 for chemistry and biology. Both went TERRIBLE, but I'm hoping paper two will be better. If those also turn out badly then I'll just plead with my teachers to let me take another paper in September and spend the summer studying for it.

its ok dww remember these are mocks not the actual thing if u dont get the grades u want there are definitely other options but tbh i swear at least for me the exams i think i do terrible in are the ones i do the best in so they might have gone better than u think just study hard for paper 2 and u will be fine !! good luckk

Quick Reply