The Student Room Group

5 a levels and EPQ

heya i currently take 5 a levels and epq and im not finding it too hard but idk how it will be in year 13

i take maths fm (fp1/fp2) chemistry biology and psychology and im self studying fm and chem

I find maths easy bc of further maths but im scared the other subjects will be really hard to keep up into year 13 especially the ones im self studying

im predicted all A* but its a lot of work and i never have free time at school so does anyone have any advice on what I should do ? im tired of studying sm but ive come a long way with it to stop yk? but ive been hearing so many horror stories abt year 13

all advice is greatly appreciated <3
Reply 1
Original post by annabel whittle
heya i currently take 5 a levels and epq and im not finding it too hard but idk how it will be in year 13
i take maths fm (fp1/fp2) chemistry biology and psychology and im self studying fm and chem
I find maths easy bc of further maths but im scared the other subjects will be really hard to keep up into year 13 especially the ones im self studying
im predicted all A* but its a lot of work and i never have free time at school so does anyone have any advice on what I should do ? im tired of studying sm but ive come a long way with it to stop yk? but ive been hearing so many horror stories abt year 13
all advice is greatly appreciated <3
I’m assuming you’ve finished your EPQ? I mean it depends - it sounds like you’re really doing great with that workload you should be very proud. Im not sure whether you’re doing these for enjoyment (!!) or for university requirements. For universities (oxbridge included), they only really take into account 4 a levels, especially as you’re doing EPQ, so I’m not sure what you will gain and whether other subjects will suffer especially as biology and psychology are SO crazy content heavy - what I mean is that it would be better to get A*A*A*A* than AABBB if you get what I mean. If you can manage the workload then by all means go for it but you will be sacrificing a year socially as you’ve identified of course if it up to you but I do think it will be somewhat brutal and you must have an extremely strong sense of discipline, motivation and very strong mental health. It’s very personal - but if you can do it DO IT !! You can push yourself and have the determination but have a clear goal to keep you on track. It’s good to seriously think it through as to whether it’ll be worth it over summer, as it would of course be better to drop a subject now if you deemed it appropriate rather than doing it in year 13 due to pressure.
Not sure why I’ve written so much!! Think it through but only you know whether you can. Look over next years content and think whether you will be able to learn all subjects back to front. Either way - u got this!!
Original post by jcordy
I’m assuming you’ve finished your EPQ? I mean it depends - it sounds like you’re really doing great with that workload you should be very proud. Im not sure whether you’re doing these for enjoyment (!!) or for university requirements. For universities (oxbridge included), they only really take into account 4 a levels, especially as you’re doing EPQ, so I’m not sure what you will gain and whether other subjects will suffer especially as biology and psychology are SO crazy content heavy - what I mean is that it would be better to get A*A*A*A* than AABBB if you get what I mean. If you can manage the workload then by all means go for it but you will be sacrificing a year socially as you’ve identified of course if it up to you but I do think it will be somewhat brutal and you must have an extremely strong sense of discipline, motivation and very strong mental health. It’s very personal - but if you can do it DO IT !! You can push yourself and have the determination but have a clear goal to keep you on track. It’s good to seriously think it through as to whether it’ll be worth it over summer, as it would of course be better to drop a subject now if you deemed it appropriate rather than doing it in year 13 due to pressure.
Not sure why I’ve written so much!! Think it through but only you know whether you can. Look over next years content and think whether you will be able to learn all subjects back to front. Either way - u got this!!

thank u for the compliments loll ive finished learning maths and fm so im not worried to much abt them and ive made all my resouces for the others but im worried i might burn out but i just feel that i might just forget everything or misunderstand something idk how to explain it i just have anxiety abt it and idk how to address it like getting a question wrong in a maths exam or not understanding something in a paper makes me doubt everything especially in chemistry but i dont want to drop it bc its so useful for uni courses also my teachers dont know abt me self studying chem or fm and i fell really embarrased telling them or potentially asking for help bc i was really bad at gcse (i never studied tho so it was entirely my fault) so it kinda looks stupid if the bottom set maths person is like can u help me with this difficult fm problem like i was embarrased enough doing normal maths let alone telling them abt fm :frown: also im not really worried about my social life bc ive never really had one 😭so i am willing to work but idk if its even worth it since unis only require 3 im just doing subjects i enjoy and subjects i think are useful

thank u for ur advice and encouragement btw !
Reply 3
Original post by annabel whittle
thank u for the compliments loll ive finished learning maths and fm so im not worried to much abt them and ive made all my resouces for the others but im worried i might burn out but i just feel that i might just forget everything or misunderstand something idk how to explain it i just have anxiety abt it and idk how to address it like getting a question wrong in a maths exam or not understanding something in a paper makes me doubt everything especially in chemistry but i dont want to drop it bc its so useful for uni courses also my teachers dont know abt me self studying chem or fm and i fell really embarrased telling them or potentially asking for help bc i was really bad at gcse (i never studied tho so it was entirely my fault) so it kinda looks stupid if the bottom set maths person is like can u help me with this difficult fm problem like i was embarrased enough doing normal maths let alone telling them abt fm :frown: also im not really worried about my social life bc ive never really had one 😭so i am willing to work but idk if its even worth it since unis only require 3 im just doing subjects i enjoy and subjects i think are useful
thank u for ur advice and encouragement btw !

No problem. I’d look over chemistry and weigh up the options. Unless you’re doing a degree specific to chemistry you more than likely don’t need it tbh. Good luck :smile:
Original post by jcordy
No problem. I’d look over chemistry and weigh up the options. Unless you’re doing a degree specific to chemistry you more than likely don’t need it tbh. Good luck :smile:

thank u for ur helpp i really appreciate it !

Quick Reply