The Student Room Group

maths replacement

I am required to take math for my alevel but I am confident I did not get a grade 6 in it so I’m retaking math gcse exam again during the winter . So what subject should I take instead of math for now if I want to take dentristry and can I take math again later after the gcse during winter ????
(edited 3 weeks ago)
Original post by Yangkie
I am required to take math for my alevel but I am confident I did not get a grade 6 in it so I’m retaking math gcse again during the winter . So what subject should I take as a replacement for now and can I take math again later ????

I don't think there's a direct substitute. If you want to take Maths A Level, you would need to take the whole thing.

Whilst you can sign up for AS Maths (depending on your college), you ultimately still want to sit the full A Level.

This is something you would need to speak to your college about.

If worse comes to worse, you can always do A Level Maths privately (ideally through an online college course, not self study especially if you have never done the A Level before). I recommend studying under AQA if you are presented with the choice.
Reply 2
Original post by Yangkie
I am required to take math for my alevel but I am confident I did not get a grade 6 in it so I’m retaking math gcse again during the winter . So what subject should I take as a replacement for now and can I take math again later ????

Apologies if it’s for personal reasons ie extenuating circumstances during exam season but why are you taking maths A-Level if you can’t get a 6 at GCSE? You can retake maths GCSE again next exam season in November as you’ve said, but by then you will not be able to switch to maths A level unless you take a year out, as by then you will have missed too much content, unless a separate agreement is made with your college/sixth form. Its worth enquiring, but maybe also look at other options you’re passionate about?
Reply 3
Original post by jcordy
Apologies if it’s for personal reasons ie extenuating circumstances during exam season but why are you taking maths A-Level if you can’t get a 6 at GCSE? You can retake maths GCSE again next exam season in November as you’ve said, but by then you will not be able to switch to maths A level unless you take a year out, as by then you will have missed too much content, unless a separate agreement is made with your college/sixth form. Its worth enquiring, but maybe also look at other options you’re passionate about?

I just arrived to uk 2 months ago so gcse math was tough and I want to pursue dentistry so I need to take math
Reply 4
Original post by Yangkie
I just arrived to uk 2 months ago so gcse math was tough and I want to pursue dentistry so I need to take math

I would say take the year out. Get your maths GSCE, with English GCSE as well which you have I assume and all the others (all science etc) to the best of your ability. Medicine/dentistry is EXTREMELY competitive so 7-9s in GCSEs are favoured. That gives you a good foundation to pursue Maths A Level and gives you the best chance (&chemistry&biology of course) , good luck.
Original post by Yangkie

You don't need A Level Maths to do dentistry. The mandatory A Level subjects are usually Biology and Chemistry (it's usually Chemistry at the very least).
GCSE Maths need to be of an adequate grade though.

On top of that, the dentistry courses tend to ask for your grades in your first sitting (at least for UK universities). I recommend looking at the entry requirements for the dentistry degree courses to be sure. See the following for accredited dentistry degrees: https://www.bda.org/advice/career-hub/career-advice/dental-schools/
https://www.dentalschoolscouncil.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/2023/08/DSC-Entry-Requirements-entry-2024.pdf
(edited 3 weeks ago)

Quick Reply