The Student Room Group

What is the difference between relationship status?

What is the difference between, hangout, dating, being in a relationship/BF & GF?
Reply 1
hanging out - friends, js chilling, having fun, maybe w other ppl there?
dating - once you admit you have feelings for the other person (especially admiting this to yourself), u ask the other person if they wanna go out (make sure the understand what u mean)/u dont even need to have feelings, js knowing the reason ur w the other person and its not cos ur hanging out
relationship - the other person has agreed to be ur BF/GF, u genuinely like each other, other people kno about ur relationship (?? this one isnt so key)

idk does that make sense? tbh i feel like sometimes theres a lot of an overlap, especially because nowadays people arent that open abt their feelings, and js because the way society acts and considers things to be normal that wouldnt have been in the past
i guess certain things might be classified and as hanging out to some people, but dating to others
maybe it js depends on the intention and how u feel?
Reply 2
Original post by mm_966
hanging out - friends, js chilling, having fun, maybe w other ppl there?
dating - once you admit you have feelings for the other person (especially admiting this to yourself), u ask the other person if they wanna go out (make sure the understand what u mean)/u dont even need to have feelings, js knowing the reason ur w the other person and its not cos ur hanging out
relationship - the other person has agreed to be ur BF/GF, u genuinely like each other, other people kno about ur relationship (?? this one isnt so key)
idk does that make sense? tbh i feel like sometimes theres a lot of an overlap, especially because nowadays people arent that open abt their feelings, and js because the way society acts and considers things to be normal that wouldnt have been in the past
i guess certain things might be classified and as hanging out to some people, but dating to others
maybe it js depends on the intention and how u feel?

Both know and have said we feel same way about each other. Have gone out to resteraunts and movies together. Been to each other's house and met each other's parents. Were "official" but he said he felt he rushed things and says he still wants things to be the same just without BF/GF title "commitment". TBH, I felt when we were together it was still us doing things as good friends just with a hug goodbye. He says he isn't ready for relationship and doesn't want to ruin what we have and maybe in the future can try again and have it turn into something more. He said he got bad anxiety and was nervous and made his IBS worse. We still text several times a day every day and he still wants to "meet up" and do things together.
Reply 3
Hang out = meeting, flirting, sexual chemistry developing
Dating = first going out together, initial sex
Relationships = feeling comfortable and love struck, regular exclusive sex
gf/bf = similar to relationship and title of your status
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
Both know and have said we feel same way about each other. Have gone out to resteraunts and movies together. Been to each other's house and met each other's parents. Were "official" but he said he felt he rushed things and says he still wants things to be the same just without BF/GF title "commitment". TBH, I felt when we were together it was still us doing things as good friends just with a hug goodbye. He says he isn't ready for relationship and doesn't want to ruin what we have and maybe in the future can try again and have it turn into something more. He said he got bad anxiety and was nervous and made his IBS worse. We still text several times a day every day and he still wants to "meet up" and do things together.

cute
don't rush it if he doesn't want it
it wont be good for the relationship
he didn't shut u down completely - he js said he wants to wait a bit
dont take this as a bad thing, js take it as he wants to kno u more, cos he enjoys ur company
maybe he feels bad pulling out like that, but its a good thing he was honest - if he wasnt happy in the relationship it would've broken down in a worse way
Reply 5
Original post by Zarek
Hang out = meeting, flirting, sexual chemistry developing
Dating = first going out together, initial sex
Relationships = feeling comfortable and love struck, regular exclusive sex
gf/bf = similar to relationship and title of your status

nothing against u but i feel like ur reply implies that a relationship orbits around sex
my point is its a lot about feelings too
Reply 6
Original post by mm_966
nothing against u but i feel like ur reply implies that a relationship orbits around sex
Well I did mention feeling comfortable and love struck. And sex does come with some emotions
Reply 7

He says it feels 'rushed', but how long have you been together? You're official, but he doesn't want commitment, doesn't want a relationship and wants to keep things the same; how long does he expect you to keep hanging on and waiting for him to decide he's your boyfriend?

Are you both over 18, because he sounds quite immature about it all? It's quite unbalanced because you are far more into him than he is into you. I can't see how this will work, because you've got stronger feelings and will take it as he's still interested if you're going out, but I can see him getting annoyed if you ask about being in a relationship and shutting down even more. Ask him when he will be ready to commit; if he hasn't got a solid answer, time to move on.
What is the difference between, hangout, dating, being in a relationship/BF & GF?
hangout = friends. may have other people involved.
dating = confessing feelings and if they are reciprocated back or just seeing where something goes, may not have feelings for them at first. More of an intimate session, more focused on eachother - more personal
Relationship = 2 people who like or love eachother. The relationship is known to each person
Reply 9
Original post by mm_966

No, he wants to wait for the right person with someone he knows we'll as do I.
Original post by Surnia
He says it feels 'rushed', but how long have you been together? You're official, but he doesn't want commitment, doesn't want a relationship and wants to keep things the same; how long does he expect you to keep hanging on and waiting for him to decide he's your boyfriend?
Are you both over 18, because he sounds quite immature about it all? It's quite unbalanced because you are far more into him than he is into you. I can't see how this will work, because you've got stronger feelings and will take it as he's still interested if you're going out, but I can see him getting annoyed if you ask about being in a relationship and shutting down even more. Ask him when he will be ready to commit; if he hasn't got a solid answer, time to move on.
Known each other 14 months, friends doing stuff as friends (a restaurant and a movie me to his house and he to mine since Thanksgiving 2023), BF/GF for 5 months. We both have the same pet(s) he said I should meet them that I would like them, I told him I couldn't think of any places that allow that kind of animal besides a big empty space and someone's house. I said my basement is pretty empty but i couldn't think of of anything else unless he had any ideas. He said that will work then came over as a friend for first time with his pets.
Original post by Surnia

He worded it "would you like trying to be my girlfriend?". I was always starting the conversation. Sometimes he would with "good morning, sleep okay?" or "how did work go?". He said he isn't ready due to "general life stuff" moving out and etc. we went out as friends doing stuff restaurant and movie and he to my house me to his. As friends he seemed more "for it", asking if I was free to do something get to know you texting pushing through even if he didn't feel well with IBS still wanting to meet not cancel. Came over every week as friends and even gave me $50 for Xmas (as friends). Once BF/GF, I started conversations more than he and was the one seeing if he wanted to meet up. Just his wording asking "trying to be my girlfriend?" always had my questioning. He drives and I don't have a car so it's 40 minutes just to come over and/or pick me up. He says he doesn't mind driving. He said in the back of his mind he knew he wasn't ready but wanted to still try, I told him he could've just said he wasn't ready and we could've kept it at friends who know what the other felt, and let time pass to get to know each other and see if it turned into something. He said he feels like he doesn't know me yet and like to let relationships form over time getting to know someone. I told him that he can ask me questions and start the conversation, that's how people get to know each other. IDK if it helps, but if you know about MBTI (Meyers-Briggs Type Indicator) he is an ISTP and I am an INTJ. Gives you an idea of each person. Says he doesn't want to lose what we have and considers it in the future, just not now.
Reply 12
Somewhere in those long replies I think I picked out that he's known you long enough to decide on a relationship or not, pets and personality tests being irrelevant; I met someone, we dated 3 months, now in a relationship and we are very different personalities and didn't need a test to decide what we are or that we get on brilliantly.

What you didn't say is how long he expects you to wait to get back together; you need to ask him when!
Reply 13
He worded it "would you like trying to be my girlfriend?". I was always starting the conversation. Sometimes he would with "good morning, sleep okay?" or "how did work go?". He said he isn't ready due to "general life stuff" moving out and etc. we went out as friends doing stuff restaurant and movie and he to my house me to his. As friends he seemed more "for it", asking if I was free to do something get to know you texting pushing through even if he didn't feel well with IBS still wanting to meet not cancel. Came over every week as friends and even gave me $50 for Xmas (as friends). Once BF/GF, I started conversations more than he and was the one seeing if he wanted to meet up. Just his wording asking "trying to be my girlfriend?" always had my questioning. He drives and I don't have a car so it's 40 minutes just to come over and/or pick me up. He says he doesn't mind driving. He said in the back of his mind he knew he wasn't ready but wanted to still try, I told him he could've just said he wasn't ready and we could've kept it at friends who know what the other felt, and let time pass to get to know each other and see if it turned into something. He said he feels like he doesn't know me yet and like to let relationships form over time getting to know someone. I told him that he can ask me questions and start the conversation, that's how people get to know each other. IDK if it helps, but if you know about MBTI (Meyers-Briggs Type Indicator) he is an ISTP and I am an INTJ. Gives you an idea of each person. Says he doesn't want to lose what we have and considers it in the future, just not now.

5 months is a really long time
i didnt realise how long u'd been together
14 months is plenty time for him to kno u
u can still enjoy his friendship, and vice versa, but u dont want to be wasting ur time on smn who isnt putting in the same amount of effort as you
hope it all works out for you, but keep in mind he is still willing to be your friend.
Reply 14
Original post by Surnia
Somewhere in those long replies I think I picked out that he's known you long enough to decide on a relationship or not, pets and personality tests being irrelevant; I met someone, we dated 3 months, now in a relationship and we are very different personalities and didn't need a test to decide what we are or that we get on brilliantly.
What you didn't say is how long he expects you to wait to get back together; you need to ask him when!

i agree
Original post by mm_966
5 months is a really long time
i didnt realise how long u'd been together
14 months is plenty time for him to kno u
u can still enjoy his friendship, and vice versa, but u dont want to be wasting ur time on smn who isnt putting in the same amount of effort as you
hope it all works out for you, but keep in mind he is still willing to be your friend.

14 months since I first met him knowing him at all even before being regular friends.
He doesn’t really sound like he knows what he wants tbh.

Quick Reply