The Student Room Group

post a level depression

i have never struggled mentally as i am now. i had my last A Level on Thursday and unlike most people i spent the last 4 days crying. I don't wanna wake up in the morning and I have nothing to do with myself. sixthform truly shaped who i was as a person and now without the stress of a levels, i don't even know who i am anymore. I know the key is to keep myself busy by getting a job and going out but I just feel so done with life. I am terrified of growing up and i don't wanna leave sixth form, my teachers, the routine, the support. I hate being at home with so much time to think. I am currently sat on my sofa recovering from another mental breakdown. this is so exhausting and knowing results day is over 9 weeks away makes me even worse. I am terrified of fallling into a depression but I took sixth form for granted and now I'm suffering in my own company and I don't know what to do. I've lost my spark
Original post by Anonymous
i have never struggled mentally as i am now. i had my last A Level on Thursday and unlike most people i spent the last 4 days crying. I don't wanna wake up in the morning and I have nothing to do with myself. sixthform truly shaped who i was as a person and now without the stress of a levels, i don't even know who i am anymore. I know the key is to keep myself busy by getting a job and going out but I just feel so done with life. I am terrified of growing up and i don't wanna leave sixth form, my teachers, the routine, the support. I hate being at home with so much time to think. I am currently sat on my sofa recovering from another mental breakdown. this is so exhausting and knowing results day is over 9 weeks away makes me even worse. I am terrified of fallling into a depression but I took sixth form for granted and now I'm suffering in my own company and I don't know what to do. I've lost my spark
I honestly completely relate and I'm also so anxious about results day. I feel like this is the first time I got to stop and actually think and I'm only now realising how uncertain everything in the future is and all of the responsibilities that will come along after summer. You're not alone in this. I just hope things will get better as we get used to it.
Reply 2
I honestly completely relate and I'm also so anxious about results day. I feel like this is the first time I got to stop and actually think and I'm only now realising how uncertain everything in the future is and all of the responsibilities that will come along after summer. You're not alone in this. I just hope things will get better as we get used to it.

So glad it’s not just me! it’s honestly the worst feeling ever when this is supposed to be the “best summer” of our lives. I do have small things that I can look forward to over the next couple weeks but I’m already feeling the academic pressure for results day and uni. Seriously not ready to accept that sixth form is over, really wish I could repeat it. Adulthood scares me.

I know this feeling will pass but I just wish it would faster so I can actually find myself again because rn I’m just in depressive episodes.
So glad it’s not just me! it’s honestly the worst feeling ever when this is supposed to be the “best summer” of our lives. I do have small things that I can look forward to over the next couple weeks but I’m already feeling the academic pressure for results day and uni. Seriously not ready to accept that sixth form is over, really wish I could repeat it. Adulthood scares me.
I know this feeling will pass but I just wish it would faster so I can actually find myself again because rn I’m just in depressive episodes.

This is actually a normal response to a sudden drop in stress hormone. It sucks.
This will probably sound annoying, but the worst thing you can do is stay inside and do nothing, even when you fell low. Make a list of small things you want to do that you enjoy and make sure you do one a day. If you don't, you will start post-18 with a rock in your stomach and with no motivation. Own your time and R&R.
Tell someone you trust about what you are going through so you can call on them when you are down or having a mental breakdown so they can talk to you and pull you up, because staying down may lead to depression.
Don't let sixth form or your Post 18 plans define you as a person. Make time for you time to do things you enjoy. Be aware that you don't have to relinquish your ties to school entirely. Maybe talk to some of your teachers about establishing an alumni network within the school to help other future students. I am going to try to do that as I didn't think I had support form teachers to help me get where I want to be and I figured a student who just jumped all the ridiculous hurdles at school would help would help me more.
Everyone is going to worry about results day and uni. Everything will be okay. Things may not work out but you know you did your best and that is far more important. It isn't fair that the way things are set up expect you to have your life together before you are legally an adult so keep in mind that starting again isn't a fail and it won't be difficult either. For some people, the puzzle pieces fall into place later and that is what is best for them.
You are going to be fine. Say it out loud because your brain will only accept it when your ears hear it.
You will be fine. Change feels unnatural but you have learnt more than just A-Levels from the past 2 years, you'll realise eventually. Everything you've learnt will set you up for success.

I hope you feel better soon. 🙂
Reply 4
this is so helpful and exactly what i needed to hear. thank you for being so reassuring with this advice, i really appreciate it and i will take on your advice. I hope to stay in contact with my teachers to ease the distance and homesickness when im off at uni. hopefully this feeling goes away as time goes on. best of luck to you as well
this is so helpful and exactly what i needed to hear. thank you for being so reassuring with this advice, i really appreciate it and i will take on your advice. I hope to stay in contact with my teachers to ease the distance and homesickness when im off at uni. hopefully this feeling goes away as time goes on. best of luck to you as well

I'm glad. 😁

Quick Reply