The Student Room Group

Do you have to pay back student finance if you drop out?

Im currently in second year and I'm thinking of dropping out from second year and starting again next september from first year and I was wondering whether you gotta pay it back or pay it all when you earn a certain threshold? im confused

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DannyGTR
Im currently in second year and I'm thinking of dropping out from second year and starting again next september from first year and I was wondering whether you gotta pay it back or pay it all when you earn a certain threshold? im confused

Hi Danny, Is this for undergraduate study? If so yes, you would repay when you are earning above the repayment threshold. Thanks, Angela
Reply 2
Original post by Angela SFE
Hi Danny, Is this for undergraduate study? If so yes, you would repay when you are earning above the repayment threshold. Thanks, Angela

Hi, this is undergraduate study. Someone told me you have to pay it back straight away if you do drop out and start again next year so im just confused on my situation on whether you pay the remaining years back?
Reply 3
What about the first 2 years I have done, do they need to be repaid back and would I get 3 years of funding again if i start again?
Hi, this is undergraduate study. Someone told me you have to pay it back straight away if you do drop out and start again next year so im just confused on my situation on whether you pay the remaining years back?

Hi Danny, We can deduct funding if it is an overpayment from future funding, but only if it is an overpayment. Any funding paid that you were eligible for would be repaid when earning above the threshold. Thanks, Angela
Reply 5
Hi Danny, We can deduct funding if it is an overpayment from future funding, but only if it is an overpayment. Any funding paid that you were eligible for would be repaid when earning above the threshold. Thanks, Angela

What do you mean by overpayment?
What do you mean by overpayment?

Hi Danny, This is funding that is paid for a period you were not attending the course. Thanks, Angela
Reply 7
Hi Danny, This is funding that is paid for a period you were not attending the course. Thanks, Angela

Would I get overpayments which I need to pay for?
(edited 1 month ago)
Would I get overpayments which I need to pay for?

Hi Danny, For us to check on any overpayment amount we would need to access your account. Please contact us direct. You can call us on 0300 100 0607 or via live chat option on your online account. Thanks, Angela
Reply 9
Hi Danny, For us to check on any overpayment amount we would need to access your account. Please contact us direct. You can call us on 0300 100 0607 or via live chat option on your online account. Thanks, Angela

ohh okay so if i start again uni next year would i get 2 years of funding instead of 3 years as my first year has been used up? would i be able to get 3 years again?
ohh okay so if i start again uni next year would i get 2 years of funding instead of 3 years as my first year has been used up? would i be able to get 3 years again?

The way we calculate funding awarded when previous study has taken place is the length of the new course plus 1 additional year, then we minus any years of previous study that has occurred. Thanks, Angela
Reply 11
The way we calculate funding awarded when previous study has taken place is the length of the new course plus 1 additional year, then we minus any years of previous study that has occurred. Thanks, Angela

oh right thanks so repayments for the previous year would only be paid after u earn above the threshold if u do drop out?
Can u still get max loan for the 2 years instead of 3?
oh right thanks so repayments for the previous year would only be paid after u earn above the threshold if u do drop out?
Can u still get max loan for the 2 years instead of 3?

You can receive the Maintenance Loan for all years of the new course. Tuition Fee funding will be applied to the remaining years of study after the calculation. Thanks, Angela
Reply 13
You can receive the Maintenance Loan for all years of the new course. Tuition Fee funding will be applied to the remaining years of study after the calculation. Thanks, Angela

Would you have to pay back the tuiton fee loan as well?
Would you have to pay back the tuiton fee loan as well?

Hi Danny, All Loans has to be repaid from Student Finance. Thanks, Angela
Reply 15
Hi Danny, All Loans has to be repaid from Student Finance. Thanks, Angela

In terms of tuiton fee loan, would that be paid back once u meet threshold too same as the maintenance loan?
In terms of tuiton fee loan, would that be paid back once u meet threshold too same as the maintenance loan?

Hi Danny, Yes, that is correct. Thanks, Angela
Reply 17
Hi Danny, Yes, that is correct. Thanks, Angela

Thanks very much for replying to me. Do you get a letter that tells you what you owe back when you drop out and what do you have to do with it when you receive it?
Thanks very much for replying to me. Do you get a letter that tells you what you owe back when you drop out and what do you have to do with it when you receive it?
Hi Danny, Yes, you will be sent a Notification of Entitlement advising of any overpayments. Thanks, Angela

If you withdraw before the term ends, you might need to repay a portion of the maintenance loan instalment that you received at the start of this term. If you delay your official withdrawal from the course to July/August, then it is unlikely that you would need to repay any of your maintenance loan immediately. The sum of your maintenance loans and tuition fee loans for your two years of study is then only repayable when you reach the earnings threshold.

Quick Reply