The Student Room Group

A level Edexcel Chemistry 2024 predictions paper 3

Seeing as we've just done paper 2 does anyone have any predictions on what could come up on Friday, kinda banking on this paper to bring my grade up.

Scroll to see replies

Deffo benzene cause I didn’t see any benzene on that paper and probably more c and proton nmr and ir spec probably?
Based on what I’ve seen on the main thread (note I’m no longer an A level student - I sat my exams two years ago now), organic synthesis is probably one of the main areas to cover, along with aromatic chemistry and NMR/IR, as above.

I would also make sure to go back over transition metals, energetics and acids/bases as these can be big topics on paper 3.

I would have a look at the main thread for paper 2 as I have gone over some harder organic type questions there: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7489167&p=99599523&page=1#post99599523
Reply 3
i think redox 2 E cell calculations will come up and tables to do with E cell values, and probably a lot on Kp and Kc as well.
Potentially for kinetics half lives, and graphs to do with orders of reaction, and possibly an iodine clock reaction, maybe also heterogeneous and homogenous catalysts
organic probably a lot of benzene, could include kekulé and also electrophilic substitution, and noticed not much came up on aldehydes and ketones so potentially a nucleophilic addition mechanism
probably some organic practical procedure and there was pretty much no organic practicals on paper 2, so like recrystallisation, separation and solvent extraction, determining melting and boiling temperatures, distillation and reflux apparatus
Reply 4
Hey guys, apparently there has been a leak of the paper so the exam board is making do a backup paper. Is anyone else the same?
If there has been a leak of the paper, don’t go looking into it (e.g by looking up the leaked paper on the internet) - it would give the exam board reasonable grounds to nullify your results.

I doubt they will have leaked Edexcel Chemistry Paper 3, since Edexcel Chemistry is so damn unpopular that there isn’t much to be gained from selling the papers online and leaks of papers aren’t that frequent iirc.
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 6
Original post by UtterlyUseless69
If there has been a leak of the paper, don’t go looking into it (e.g by looking up the leaked paper on the internet) - it would give the exam board reasonable grounds to nullify your results.
I doubt they will have leaked Edexcel Chemistry Paper 3, since Edexcel Chemistry is so damn unpopular that there isn’t much to be gained from selling the papers online and leaks of papers aren’t that frequent iirc.

yeah I just wanted to know if this was just my school or a universal thing. Kinda frustrated becaus before we could try and wittle down what topic will come up but now topics could be anything including things from papers 1 and 2
Original post by ewarman
Hey guys, apparently there has been a leak of the paper so the exam board is making do a backup paper. Is anyone else the same?

Where did you hear that?
Original post by ewarman

where did you hear that?
the paper could have a 5 marker on a practical method like last year with calorimetry, I'm guessing it will be how you'd set up an electrochemical cell because I've never seen that come up before
Anyone have any tips on chemistry paper 3/how to revise for it with the little time we have?
Need this paper to be good so I can get the grades
Any advice is much appreciated
Original post by 1237tjdgvhja
Anyone have any tips on chemistry paper 3/how to revise for it with the little time we have?
Need this paper to be good so I can get the grades
Any advice is much appreciated

look through past papers and pick out the practical specific questions, paper 3 very often has organic synthesis practicals involving recrystallisation, heating under reflux, distillation, filtration under reduced pressure, separating funnels etc. and make sure you know how they’re used
other common practicals in paper 3 are acid-base titrations and pH curves, waters of crystallisation, calorimetry
other common topics that come up often in paper 3 are infrared spectroscopy and NMR which often require you to use the data booklet, and there also tends to be lots of Kc, Kp, Ka, and E cell calculations
what are we thinking the grade boundaries will be for an A* and A, tryna know how much to aim for (ofc ill aim full marks but yk)
Original post by ewarman

When did they say we are doing a backup paper
Original post by g1gls
Hi guys, I can confirm that we have just heard from our teacher (who is an examiner), that paper 3 has been leaked, meaning edexcel is switching to a "backup paper" - apparently this is often the paper they are preparing for next years set of A-levels.

barely anyone does edexcel so I don't believe this
(edited 1 month ago)
Where is the leaked paper?
Original post by g1gls
Hi guys, I can confirm that we have just heard from our teacher (who is an examiner), that paper 3 has been leaked, meaning edexcel is switching to a "backup paper" - apparently this is often the paper they are preparing for next years set of A-levels.

Really?
Thats what we have been told today
Original post by Vickieeer
Where is the leaked paper?

Don't know and don't want to know - my advice is that if you don't want to be disqualified don't go looking for it.
guys do we have any estimates for grade boundaries 😣 a/a*?

Quick Reply