The Student Room Group

Got a 2.2 in law

Hi guys. I got a 2.2 in my law degree. I've read that this can narrow your chances of being accepted by firms as they prefer those with a 2.1. I plan to study LLM with SQE 1 & 2. Could someone tell me if my LLM with SQE 1 & 2 can improve my chances and if anyone else also got a 2.2 and what they ended up doing. Thanks.
Original post by Beastslayer_47
Hi guys. I got a 2.2 in my law degree. I've read that this can narrow your chances of being accepted by firms as they prefer those with a 2.1. I plan to study LLM with SQE 1 & 2. Could someone tell me if my LLM with SQE 1 & 2 can improve my chances and if anyone else also got a 2.2 and what they ended up doing. Thanks.

I have to be frank: the 2.2 is likely to limit your prospects in the commercial legal sector. You may be able to obtain a place with a more generalist firm. If you do well there you might be able to move to a bigger and more commercial firm once you have a few years of experience in practice. Good luck!
Original post by Stiffy Byng
I have to be frank: the 2.2 is likely to limit your prospects in the commercial legal sector. You may be able to obtain a place with a more generalist firm. If you do well there you might be able to move to a bigger and more commercial firm once you have a few years of experience in practice. Good luck!

Is LLM useful if I want to work abroad? Let’s say somewhere like the Middle East. Because LLMs are internationally recognised right
An LLM may help but the 2.2 may still be a problem.
2:2 will be a problem. Sorry to say that leading firms are unlikely to consider you.
Original post by Beastslayer_47

Hi there

Many firms' requirements for applicants will be a 2:1, so it may limit/ reduce your choices and prospects of entering into the larger/ more reputable firms. However, that is not to say you cannot get a good law career. 🙂 I have heard of students going on to do work experience, or complete the SQE exams and getting into a good job.

Work experience is really important to law firms, as it shows your interest and transferrable skills in the legal field. Passing the SQE with good grades may also improve your employability, as it will give you the requisite knowledge needed to conduct practical work in the field.

Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep
Original post by University of Kent
Hi there
Many firms' requirements for applicants will be a 2:1, so it may limit/ reduce your choices and prospects of entering into the larger/ more reputable firms. However, that is not to say you cannot get a good law career. 🙂 I have heard of students going on to do work experience, or complete the SQE exams and getting into a good job.
Work experience is really important to law firms, as it shows your interest and transferrable skills in the legal field. Passing the SQE with good grades may also improve your employability, as it will give you the requisite knowledge needed to conduct practical work in the field.
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep

Is it better I get work experience first considering I do not have any legal experience, let's say as a paralegal, before I study LLM with SQE1&2? Or could I study the course first and then get legal experience?

Quick Reply