The Student Room Group

Extreme Post exam anxieties

I have just finished all my A2 level exams. I re sat A1 so I managed to complete the total of 12 papers. I have an offer at Warwick for law, and I need AAA*. I took all humanities subjects- English lit, Econ and geography. I don’t think I did terribly but I have a very mixed feeling about it. When I did A1, I had switched schools and I only have 3-4 months to catch up with all the concepts, which resulted in poor grades, BCD. Nonetheless I applied for LLB course on UCAS and managed to obtain offers. I am homeschooled and oftentimes my studies depended upon my self discipline and motivation. I did have very good tutors who supported and assured me along the way so that is one thing I am very grateful for. I live in a country where going to universities overseas is not popular, in fact nobody really speaks English and isn’t familiar with the whole concept of UCAS and A levels and even the university starting date is different. So while many of my friends my age have already started their university in April, I was still completing A Levels and now that I am done with it I will have to sit here fighting over my mental health and anxiety, pressure until the results day. I am proud that I managed to complete all and I truly enjoyed learning throughout my exam period. But the more I do my research, I witness people having different opinions about the exams and I get more anxious. I had left all the discord groups I was a part of to reduce the amount of exposure to any information about the exams. I want my mind off of it.

For my literature exam, I enjoyed writing it and I managed to include 7-10 critics along with my analytical insights. Geo I am hoping that I won’t get an U, even tho I am predicted with A* I don’t think I can get to that level. For econ I have mixed feelings about it. I didn’t think I did awful but I also don’t think I did well enough. I tend to think about the worst case scenarios and I am scared to death thinking about what if I get an U. Not meeting my conditions is no longer a major issue because I’ve worked hard and did everything I could almost all on my own, and I am very happy to use clearing to find alternative courses. But the worst thing id like to avoid is failing everything and not finding any places. I know it’s ridiculous of me to say but I can’t help thinking about all the what ifs.

My supervisors and tutors have reassured me that it is just the mind’s natural tendency to spiral when things are no longer within my control. I keep reassuring myself I am capable of anything and I will always find a solution, but I am so stressed and scared of this period of uncertainty. I don’t want to fail and I don’t want to be a failure for my parents. Can someone please reassure me.
Reply 1
u got this g
Original post by jasriverfield
I have just finished all my A2 level exams. I re sat A1 so I managed to complete the total of 12 papers. I have an offer at Warwick for law, and I need AAA*. I took all humanities subjects- English lit, Econ and geography. I don’t think I did terribly but I have a very mixed feeling about it. When I did A1, I had switched schools and I only have 3-4 months to catch up with all the concepts, which resulted in poor grades, BCD. Nonetheless I applied for LLB course on UCAS and managed to obtain offers. I am homeschooled and oftentimes my studies depended upon my self discipline and motivation. I did have very good tutors who supported and assured me along the way so that is one thing I am very grateful for. I live in a country where going to universities overseas is not popular, in fact nobody really speaks English and isn’t familiar with the whole concept of UCAS and A levels and even the university starting date is different. So while many of my friends my age have already started their university in April, I was still completing A Levels and now that I am done with it I will have to sit here fighting over my mental health and anxiety, pressure until the results day. I am proud that I managed to complete all and I truly enjoyed learning throughout my exam period. But the more I do my research, I witness people having different opinions about the exams and I get more anxious. I had left all the discord groups I was a part of to reduce the amount of exposure to any information about the exams. I want my mind off of it.
For my literature exam, I enjoyed writing it and I managed to include 7-10 critics along with my analytical insights. Geo I am hoping that I won’t get an U, even tho I am predicted with A* I don’t think I can get to that level. For econ I have mixed feelings about it. I didn’t think I did awful but I also don’t think I did well enough. I tend to think about the worst case scenarios and I am scared to death thinking about what if I get an U. Not meeting my conditions is no longer a major issue because I’ve worked hard and did everything I could almost all on my own, and I am very happy to use clearing to find alternative courses. But the worst thing id like to avoid is failing everything and not finding any places. I know it’s ridiculous of me to say but I can’t help thinking about all the what ifs.
My supervisors and tutors have reassured me that it is just the mind’s natural tendency to spiral when things are no longer within my control. I keep reassuring myself I am capable of anything and I will always find a solution, but I am so stressed and scared of this period of uncertainty. I don’t want to fail and I don’t want to be a failure for my parents. Can someone please reassure me.

Post-exam anxiety is completely normal, however it does sound like this is very troubling for you. If the anxiety is taking over your day to day life please do take the time to reach out to a trusted friend or adult. There are always options for clearing if you don’t get in to your desired uni, but you should be so proud of everything you have achieved! A Levels are hard! Try to fill your time with reading a book or finding a new hobby and the time will fly by. Results do not define you as a person. Please try to remember that. I’m sure you have exceeded your own expectations 😊

Quick Reply