The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

How often are you in university?

i am starting a Law Degree at southampton uni in september and wondered what my timetable may look like... are university students often in every day for lectures or do you typically only go in a couple times a week?
Original post by avictoriad
i am starting a Law Degree at southampton uni in september and wondered what my timetable may look like... are university students often in every day for lectures or do you typically only go in a couple times a week?

Hi @avictoriad,
It tends to vary dependent on courses and universities. However, typically you may have between 10-15 contact hours per week, but these can fall differently with them being spread out over 5 days or compacted into 3 days it really varies.
Hope this helps!
-Jasmine (Lancaster Student Ambassador)
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Hi @avictoriad

I studied Education Studies, and my timetable in third year looked like this:

Monday 09:00-12:00.
Tuesday 09:00-11:00, break, 12:00-15:00.

If you want to know exactly what days/times you will be on campus, you could email the course lead at Southhampton University. They might not know the timetable for this coming September yet, but they can tell you what the timetable was for this past year.

Have a great summer!

Ana - BCU Student Rep.

Hi @avictoriad 😄

Congrats on getting into Southampton, we're happy to have you here!

It can vary from degree programme to degree programme, as some have different requirements, but most have a standard of 8-10 hours of lectures per week as well as seminars, tutorials, and workshops. Your timetable will depend on the modules, and availability of lecturers, and will be finalised towards to the start of the academic year in September. This past year, my lectures have ended up being on only 3 or 4 days a week with some being only half days and others being full, depending on the semester. The gaps between lectures, and the free time you have (which is considerably more than that which you get at A-level) are up to you to decide what to do. I've found a balance between studying and personal time works, as you will need to use some of that time to revise and complete assignments.

Hope this helps!
Jen (UoS student rep)

Hi there,

To echo what the others have said, this really depends on the course you are studying and how your university typically structures this! Some courses tend to have more time in uni and some have less, depending on the subject and what classes you would have.

For my course we tend to have around 10 contact hours per week but this can be spread across 3/4 days usually so often we can be in uni for just one hour one day, depending on how the timetable works. You may have some days where you have lots of hours in uni and some where you are only there for one lecture or class.

You could email your course leader and ask them how many contact hours the course tends to have and they will be bale to answer this for you. You should be able to find their contact details on Southampton University's website on the Law page and you can email from there.

You could also have a look to see if Southampton is on any other platforms where you can contact them. For example, students at Hallam are on The Ambassador Platform where we can chat to prospective students, so have a look to see if there are any ways you can contact students from Southampton like this and there may be someone on there who studies law who can give you a more specific answer of what their timetable looks like!

I hope this helps,

Lucy -SHU student ambassador.

Hi there

This will vary for each University, and it also depends on what modules you take. For myself, I would have 4 seminars a week and 4 Lectures a week (this was in third year). In second year, since I took different modules, I had 4 seminars a week and 7 lectures a week. On average, I think students only have to be on campus 3 or 4 days a week (though this can definitely vary based on the specific modules and its structure).

I hope this helps. 🙂
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep
Hi there!

Congrats on securing a place at uni! Timetables vary from course to course but speaking from my experience I always had at least a day off and maybe one or two half days a week. Your timetables shouldn’t change too much either in terms of how many hours you are timetabled in second and third year.

Hope this helps and good luck in your first year😊

Best wishes
Jakub - Fashion promotion and marketing student
I was in 3-4 times a week for my BSc. My MSc was hitting 5 days a week by the time I came to do the research project.
Hi @avictoriad,

Great to hear that you will be studying Law at university in September. Timetables are very course specific and you will usually receive more information on your timetable closer to your start date. If you are wanting more guidance on your course structure, you might want to try and reach out to a course tutor at your university.

For many but not all full-time undergraduate courses, students are in classes 3-4 days a week, for me I was in class for 4 days a week. I usually had a couple of breaks between each class during the day and one of the days I would only be in in the morning. As you can see from various student ambassadors responses, timetables are very course dependant.

All the best with starting uni. 😊
Sarah

Hi @avictoriad,

University timetables tend to vary greatly depending on the nature and content of your course - for example, humanities-based courses may have fewer scheduled lectures but place a greater emphasis on self-study and tutorials, whilst STEM-based courses might have mandatory labratory modules which require students on-campus more frequently.

From my experience, most of my friends who study law (and similar subjects) usually have one or two days where they have no scheduled teaching. If you want to find out your exact timetable, however, consider contacting your course leader/faculty supervisor at Southampton. They should be able to provide you with a more detailed breakdown of expected contact hours.

Hope this was helpful!
Eve (Kingston Rep).
(edited 3 weeks ago)

Hiya!

Just to give an idea and echo others I asked my friend to share her timetable with me who studies Law at De Montfort University.

Typically they have 2-3 hours of seminars a week and 2 hour live lecture and asynchronous lectures (however these timings and lectures can depend on the week and what module is currently being taught). In my friend's case, she is typically in university 2 or 3 times a week.

I hope this and the others responses have helped 🙂
-Maddie, Second year Health and Well-being in Society student at De Montfort University

Quick Reply