The Student Room Group

Sylvia Plath NEA on self identity and the male gaze (feminist critic view)

Hello everyone!

I have just started my NEA (first 1000 word draft due next week) and I’m struggling to decide what collection of poems to write on, as well as forming a coherent question. So far I have ‘To what extent does Plath reinforce the idea that the male gaze force women into a box???’ Im uncertain of what to say at the end of the question. I wanted to include critics such as Simone de Beauvoir, and write on poems like ‘daddy’, ‘mirror’, ‘lady lazarus’, ‘bee meeting’ etc, however I have to try to stick to one collection
Please help!! >~< tysm
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by ray :3
Hello everyone!
I have just started my NEA (first 1000 word draft due next week) and I’m struggling to decide what collection of poems to write on, as well as forming a coherent question. So far I have ‘To what extent does Plath reinforce the idea that the male gaze force women into a box???’ Im uncertain of what to say at the end of the question. I wanted to include critics such as Simone de Beauvoir, and write on poems like ‘daddy’, ‘mirror’, ‘lady lazarus’, ‘bee meeting’ etc, however I have to try to stick to one collection
Please help!! >~< tysm

Hi, not sure which exam board you’re with but I was AQA and I wrote about The World’s Wife by Carol Ann Duffy which is brilliant for feminist pov. I would stick to one otherwise you may lose marks for lacking coherence and focus. Choose a collection that you know the best and are extremely confident on.
I chose to write about language choices and then linked this to feminism by saying that it undermined the feminist message for example. It was quite difficult to make sure I hit all the AOs as a statement like yours would have been a lot better. Personally, I like your question as seems like it would be coherent and you could add in the alternative argument also.

For the end of the question as I was AQA we had to include using ideas from the critical anthology, to what extent do you agree with this view?” but it may differ from exam board.

Hope this helps 🙂

Quick Reply