The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Taking a IGSE alongside an OU undergraduate degree

Hello
I just wondered if anyone has completed a IGCSE through a course provider alongside a full time degree with the Open University. Is it doable or will it be too much of a workload?. I currently have 2 little toddlers I look after full time too I’m happy to put in the work I just don’t want to sign up for something if it’s going to be too big of a workload to even achieve.
Might be a bit challenging alongside full time study, although potentially doable. I think doing that alongside childcare needs would be quite hard to balance personally though!

Bear in mind though if you have any exams for your OU course that clash with the IGCSE then you wouldn't be able to resolve the clash which is a potential challenge to bear in mind (although if your OU modules are all assessed by coursework then no issue).

What IGCSE subject is it you want to do? Is it possible to do a module at the OU as part of your degree which covers that material? That might be a good option if possible :smile:
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
Might be a bit challenging alongside full time study, although potentially doable. I think doing that alongside childcare needs would be quite hard to balance personally though!
Bear in mind though if you have any exams for your OU course that clash with the IGCSE then you wouldn't be able to resolve the clash which is a potential challenge to bear in mind (although if your OU modules are all assessed by coursework then no issue).
What IGCSE subject is it you want to do? Is it possible to do a module at the OU as part of your degree which covers that material? That might be a good option if possible :smile:

Ohh yeah I didn’t even think about the dates clashing. I only have assignments due but it’s only every 2 months but I end up having to submit 2 around the same week with it being 2 different modules I’m having to complete. I’ll be entering my second year in October so I was just thinking about it all.
It’s science I’ve just realised to apply for the QTS after the education studies degree that you need Maths, English and Science alongside it.
During the summer holidays I’d have all that time to study for the IGCSE but the rest of the year may be difficult. I just don’t fancy taking extra years studying if I can help it.
That’s a really smart idea but I don’t think the OU actually have that option for this I have spoke to the SST and they never advised on it so I’m presuming it’s not.
Thanks for your advice
Original post by Mellyy90
Ohh yeah I didn’t even think about the dates clashing. I only have assignments due but it’s only every 2 months but I end up having to submit 2 around the same week with it being 2 different modules I’m having to complete. I’ll be entering my second year in October so I was just thinking about it all.
It’s science I’ve just realised to apply for the QTS after the education studies degree that you need Maths, English and Science alongside it.
During the summer holidays I’d have all that time to study for the IGCSE but the rest of the year may be difficult. I just don’t fancy taking extra years studying if I can help it.
That’s a really smart idea but I don’t think the OU actually have that option for this I have spoke to the SST and they never advised on it so I’m presuming it’s not.
Thanks for your advice

Yeah that is understandable, I think if your modules are mainly coursework based you can just try and work things around the deadlines :smile: In terms of workload it depends on how much spare time you have to dedicate to it, if you can find the time then no reason not to try it, but you might need to cut back on time spent on other things of course :redface:
Artful_lounger worded it perfectly :smile:
Reply 5
Yeah that is understandable, I think if your modules are mainly coursework based you can just try and work things around the deadlines :smile: In terms of workload it depends on how much spare time you have to dedicate to it, if you can find the time then no reason not to try it, but you might need to cut back on time spent on other things of course :redface:
That’s very true 😊 you’re totally right, I hope I can hear from other people who have managed to do both alongside each other and how they found it. I think it would help me make my mind up as I’ll have to pay for the course and don’t want to be struggling to keep up to have to resit it again in years to come. I’ll also have one little one at nursery soon so that will free up my hands a little bit 😬. Do you know how long they typically take to complete?. I’ve read many different things from 1-2years but then I also read someone had completed the science one within 6 months so I’m totally confused.
Original post by Mellyy90
That’s very true 😊 you’re totally right, I hope I can hear from other people who have managed to do both alongside each other and how they found it. I think it would help me make my mind up as I’ll have to pay for the course and don’t want to be struggling to keep up to have to resit it again in years to come. I’ll also have one little one at nursery soon so that will free up my hands a little bit 😬. Do you know how long they typically take to complete?. I’ve read many different things from 1-2years but then I also read someone had completed the science one within 6 months so I’m totally confused.

Depends on how intensively you are studying for it I guess. Ordinarily GCSEs including IGCSEs are taken over 2 years, but normally students studying full time in school will.be doing 8-12 at the same time. Doing just a single one you could focus more time on it and prepare in a shorter amount of time in theory.

That said the science one may have practicals which need to be scheduled around teaching availability perhaps?
Reply 7
Depends on how intensively you are studying for it I guess. Ordinarily GCSEs including IGCSEs are taken over 2 years, but normally students studying full time in school will.be doing 8-12 at the same time. Doing just a single one you could focus more time on it and prepare in a shorter amount of time in theory.
That said the science one may have practicals which need to be scheduled around teaching availability perhaps?
I guess so, so I could spread it over a longer time and have more time to prepare and go over everything which would be better than cramming it all in a short space 😊. I think that would work better in my situation it just feels like a long time but it will soon fly by.
I’ll have to speak to a course provider and find out all the details.
I appreciate your help Thankyou

Quick Reply