The Student Room Group

Computing or Engineering for University?

I'm trying to decide which general area I want to go in for university. Of course, I know that I need to look at and decide on a specific course, but this is my current dilemma.

I can't decide between computing or engineering (more specifically, aerospace).

I love computing so much - the theory itself is quite interesting, although my favourite part would have to be the coding itself. To me, it's like a puzzle, and I enjoy it a lot. Always on my computer too. Also, with how the industry is going, going into something related to the digital world would no doubt be beneficial.

But I also love space as well. As a child, it was my dream to be an astronaut, so to instead be an aerospace engineer is the closest I get to that dream. I know engineering is more hands on, but it also seems really enjoyable because you get to essentially engineer and build things up.

I've visited a few open days and attended some talks and lectures, but I'm still completely torn...
Original post by apalehep
I'm trying to decide which general area I want to go in for university. Of course, I know that I need to look at and decide on a specific course, but this is my current dilemma.
I can't decide between computing or engineering (more specifically, aerospace).
I love computing so much - the theory itself is quite interesting, although my favourite part would have to be the coding itself. To me, it's like a puzzle, and I enjoy it a lot. Always on my computer too. Also, with how the industry is going, going into something related to the digital world would no doubt be beneficial.
But I also love space as well. As a child, it was my dream to be an astronaut, so to instead be an aerospace engineer is the closest I get to that dream. I know engineering is more hands on, but it also seems really enjoyable because you get to essentially engineer and build things up.
I've visited a few open days and attended some talks and lectures, but I'm still completely torn...

Hey,

It sounds like you’re in a bit of a dilemma, but that’s totally normal when you have multiple passions!

Computing and aerospace engineering are both fascinating fields with their own unique rewards. Since you love coding and find it like a puzzle, a degree in computing might be very fulfilling for you. The industry is indeed booming, and skills in programming and computer science are highly sought after across numerous sectors.

On the other hand, your childhood dream of working in aerospace is also incredibly compelling. Aerospace engineering is an exciting field. It’s more hands-on and involves designing and building, which could be incredibly satisfying if you enjoy seeing your work come to life in a very tangible way.

Since you’ve already attended some open days and lectures, maybe consider reaching out to professionals in both fields. See if you can arrange a day to shadow someone or have informational interviews. It might also help to look into the specific courses and see if any offer a combination or flexibility to switch in the first year.

At Salford, we have Offer Holder Days (OHD) where offer holders can come to the Inversity and do taster sessions in their desired courses. This could be the deciding factor as to what course you end up going for. I recommend looking into something similar at the universities you're considering.

Ultimately, think about where you see yourself in the future and what kind of work would make you happiest. Both fields offer great opportunities, so you’re in a good place either way!

Best of luck with your decision!

Cheers,
Arslan University of Salford Student Representative

Quick Reply