The Student Room Group

how important is year 12 work experience

Morning,

How important is work experience over year 12 summer if I plan to apply for accounting and finance/corporate banking apprenticeships in year 13?

Thankyou
Original post by lindseywalsh
Morning,
How important is work experience over year 12 summer if I plan to apply for accounting and finance/corporate banking apprenticeships in year 13?
Thankyou

Important for you to check out the world of work and see how you fit and what interests you. Not very important at all for applications.
Morning,
Thankyou

Work experience is only really important for Medicine or Dentistry applicants but getting some work experience would help you understand whether or not you'll enjoy the degree and career. It would also be cool to mention in your 'personal statement' or at interview (not all courses have interviews but the number of degrees interviewing now is increasing). I would recommend making an account on Zero Gravity they have so many online work experiences they introduce students to and other cool opportunities!!!
Morning,
Thankyou

it's really useful because it's *more* ... that is, you'll undoubtedly do work experience in future, but the more you have, the better, especially if you're competing for additional work placements/experience or graduate positions.
Original post by highlander928
it's really useful because it's *more* ... that is, you'll undoubtedly do work experience in future, but the more you have, the better, especially if you're competing for additional work placements/experience or graduate positions.
Hi

Thanks for the reply. This was my opinion too - especially as I plan to apply for degree apprenticeships at the start of year 13. I’ll have something tangible to discuss in interviews 🙏
Hi
Thanks for the reply. This was my opinion too - especially as I plan to apply for degree apprenticeships at the start of year 13. I’ll have something tangible to discuss in interviews 🙏

Yes, I see many going through the process who wish they'd taken the opportunity to some extra work experience earlier. Good luck!
(edited 4 weeks ago)

Quick Reply