The Student Room Group

Further maths as a 4th A-level.

I am in year 10 and deciding what A-levels to take. I want to do architecture so my ideal topics are Maths, DT and Physics.
I was talking with my maths teacher and he suggested I do further maths A-Level as a 4th option. I am taking it for GCSE.

I'm not sure what to do. Is Taking further maths a good idea? Or will it be too much work (especially with DT coursework)?
(edited 3 weeks ago)
Its useful, and it may give you more degree options.
This is the most common '4 A levels' situation, and its the only one that is worth doing.
Reply 2
Original post by McGinger
Its useful, and it may give you more degree options.
This is the most common '4 A levels' situation, and its the only one that is worth doing.

Thanks. Do you know how much extra work it is on top of regular maths and other subjects?
Further maths isn't a required subject for any architecture course, and maths and/or physics is only required by five out of the 55 architecture courses available. Have a look at the following thread:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7361710
Reply 4
It’s ‘droppable’. Reviews are mixed on how much extra work it is. Best person to discuss it with would be your current maths teacher in more depth. I suppose you could run it for the first year and see how you go.
Original post by Purslane
I am in year 10 and deciding what A-levels to take. I want to do architecture so my ideal topics are Maths, DT and Physics.
I was talking with my maths teacher and he suggested I do further maths A-Level as a 4th option. I am taking it for GCSE.
I'm not sure what to do. Is Taking further maths a good idea? Or will it be too much work (especially with DT coursework)?

Universities only require 3 a levels and doing 4 isn’t always advisable. FM is sometimes wanted for Maths, Physics, Computing and Engineering degrees at top unis, not for Architecture for my knowledge. I think you’ll be fine with 3, especially with the DT workload which I’ve heard is extensive! You could do 4 if you want a competitive edge but tbh i dont think unis care that much for what you wanna do, maybe do an EPQ instead? Good luck with your choices!
FM is the one time doing a fourth A-level is actually a good idea. Definitely do it; nothing is stopping you from dropping it in Y12 if it’s too much work
Reply 7
Original post by normaw
Further maths isn't a required subject for any architecture course, and maths and/or physics is only required by five out of the 55 architecture courses available. Have a look at the following thread:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7361710

Thank you :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by AnonOxE
It’s ‘droppable’. Reviews are mixed on how much extra work it is. Best person to discuss it with would be your current maths teacher in more depth. I suppose you could run it for the first year and see how you go.

That's a good idea thanks :smile:

Quick Reply