The Student Room Group

UCAT - high score

Is it true that the earlier you start revising for UCAT the better you will do?
I’m in year 11 and I’ve already started preparing kinda , bc I need to make up for my low GCSEs
This sounds ridiculous but I’m aiming for 3200 +
Reply 1
Original post by Jasmine6789
I’m in year 11 and I’ve already started preparing kinda , bc I need to make up for my low GCSEs

Don't do this - you will burn out - UCAT is not a form of test where the 'more' you revise the 'more' you do better - it does help to do a solid 6-9 weeks of revision before, perhaps focus on other areas such as getting work experience first :smile:

this generation is so mislead
Original post by A.2KK
Don't do this - you will burn out - UCAT is not a form of test where the 'more' you revise the 'more' you do better - it does help to do a solid 6-9 weeks of revision before, perhaps focus on other areas such as getting work experience first :smile:

Thank you - i definitely won’t start preparing now then
Original post by lifeoftheparty
this generation is so mislead

Mislead because I want to go to a good uni?
Reply 5

Most colleges will prep year 12 students to start revising for the UCAT around spring (~2-3 months) before it, don't start until then. If anything, you could prepare for starting college over summer by seeing what content you'll learn about, and even then you don't need to do much. Or get some work experience, read relevant books/articles, do some MOOCs etc.
Mislead because I want to go to a good uni?

because you think revising for ur ucat a year earlier will help you🤣🤣🤣 this isn’t an academic exam, the ucat is basically based on keyboard speed and IQ, coming from someone who did the ucat - don’t waste ur time, just focus on getting good predicted. also i applied for dent w relatively low gcses and still came out w offers w a mid ucat so😐
because you think revising for ur ucat a year earlier will help you🤣🤣🤣 this isn’t an academic exam, the ucat is basically based on keyboard speed and IQ, coming from someone who did the ucat - don’t waste ur time, just focus on getting good predicted. also i applied for dent w relatively low gcses and still came out w offers w a mid ucat so😐

What were your predicted grades and where did you apply?
Reply 8

How do you know you have low GCSE grades when the result will only be out in Aug.

Trying to pre-empt the future ain't going to do you well. Your immediate task, if your GCSE is really poor, is bucking up on your incoming yr12 A level. If you think your GCSE is poor, would you be able to do well in Yr12? In the meantime, get some work experience over the summer.

Press on and set your priorities right.
2nd year Medical Student here!

I want to give back to aspiring medical students! I am currently collaborating with Medify and they have agreed to offer 2 students a free 1 month subscription on their Medify platform to help with UCAT preparation!

Absolutely free

Please send me a message if you are interested xx
going into med this year , and would 100% suggest for you to prepare as early as possible for your exam . at this stage as your in y11 10 mins or so regularly would be sufficent but i would ignore people mentioning "your going to burnout " , as the longer you spend prepping for it the higher score you will get :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Jlcobham8
I want to give back to aspiring medical students! I am currently collaborating with Medify and they have agreed to offer 2 students a free 1 month subscription on their Medify platform to help with UCAT preparation!
Absolutely free

Sent you a message!
Absolutely free

Sent you a message!
Original post by Jonjon7
How do you know you have low GCSE grades when the result will only be out in Aug.
Trying to pre-empt the future ain't going to do you well. Your immediate task, if your GCSE is really poor, is bucking up on your incoming yr12 A level. If you think your GCSE is poor, would you be able to do well in Yr12? In the meantime, get some work experience over the summer.
Press on and set your priorities right.

By poor I mean 2 9s, 8s and mostly 7s. But preparing early is less stressful. I’ve already sorted work experience for this summer.
Original post by bostanut
going into med this year , and would 100% suggest for you to prepare as early as possible for your exam . at this stage as your in y11 10 mins or so regularly would be sufficent but i would ignore people mentioning "your going to burnout " , as the longer you spend prepping for it the higher score you will get :smile:

Thank you!! 🙂 That’s what I assumed initially bc I doubt you can burn out by doing 10-15 mins a day

I'm thinking of applying to dentistry? What were Ur gcses

I think it's fair to say the more prepared you are the more likely you are to improve your score, but there'll be diminishing returns for doing much prep more than 3 months before the exam. There is no harm thinking about it though and being prepared, that doesn't make you misguided.

Maybe sign up to a week of Medify and do a mock exam so you have a feel for it and a baseline score, but don't do much prep until a few months before the real thing otherwise you'll likely burnout. Focus on getting some work experience instead.

3200 isn't ridiculous, it's the top 1%. No harm aiming high, but don't be disappointed if you get a few hundred points below that.

If your GCSEs are low make sure you apply strategically and avoid unis that put more weight on GCSEs during shortlisting.
Original post by Mimosns
I'm thinking of applying to dentistry? What were Ur gcses

A*AA (predicted), ucat: 2490 b1, cant remmeber gcses but it was all 6s but 7s and 8s in science nad maths
Absolutely free

hi im in year 12 and preparing for my ucat in august. please could i have a free medify subscription it would mean so much for me. thanks.
Absolutely free

I am!!

Quick Reply