The Student Room Group

A level English Language coursework

Hi, I’m writing a short story for my English language coursework- a fantasy theme for young children inspired by books like Narnia, Alice in wonderland and the labyrinth but im not quite sure on what my plot should be since it can only be 1000 words and i am really struggling to think of any ideas. I want to introduce creatures and this fantasy world but im just not sure how to make a story in such a short piece of writing. Please help!! Thank you
Reply 1
Outline:
1. Introduction (150 words)

Setting: A modern-day city, focusing on a large, old library.

Protagonist: Clara, a curious and imaginative 12-year-old girl who loves reading fantasy books.

Inciting Incident: Clara discovers an ancient, hidden door in the back of the library.

2. Entering the Fantasy World (200 words)

Discovery: Clara opens the door and is transported to an enchanting forest.

Initial Exploration: She encounters bizarre flora and fauna, including talking flowers and a river of liquid light.

First Companion: Clara meets a whimsical, talking fox named Fern, who offers to guide her.

3. The Quest (300 words)

The Problem: Fern reveals that the Enchanted Forest is in danger because the Heartstone, a magical gem that maintains the balance of the world, has been stolen.

The Villain: Introduce the antagonist, Malachi, a dark sorcerer with a menagerie of corrupted creatures.

Allies and Challenges: Clara and Fern journey to find the Heartstone, meeting allies like a proud gryphon named Galen and a mischievous sprite named Lila. They face challenges like navigating the Whispering Woods, where trees tell confusing tales, and outsmarting a riddling Sphinx.

4. Climax (200 words)

Confrontation: Clara and her companions reach Malachi's lair, a twisted tower of dark magic.

Battle: A tense battle ensues with Clara using her wits and newly found courage to outmaneuver Malachi.

Resolution: Clara retrieves the Heartstone and restores it to its place in the forest, banishing Malachi.

5. Conclusion (150 words)

Farewells: Clara says goodbye to her new friends, promising to return someday.

Return Home: She steps back through the hidden door, finding herself in the library again.

Reflection: Clara realizes she has grown braver and more confident, and the library holds more wonder than she ever imagined.

Outline:
1. Introduction (150 words)

Setting: A modern-day city, focusing on a large, old library.

Protagonist: Clara, a curious and imaginative 12-year-old girl who loves reading fantasy books.

Inciting Incident: Clara discovers an ancient, hidden door in the back of the library.

2. Entering the Fantasy World (200 words)

Discovery: Clara opens the door and is transported to an enchanting forest.

Initial Exploration: She encounters bizarre flora and fauna, including talking flowers and a river of liquid light.

First Companion: Clara meets a whimsical, talking fox named Fern, who offers to guide her.

3. The Quest (300 words)

The Problem: Fern reveals that the Enchanted Forest is in danger because the Heartstone, a magical gem that maintains the balance of the world, has been stolen.

The Villain: Introduce the antagonist, Malachi, a dark sorcerer with a menagerie of corrupted creatures.

Allies and Challenges: Clara and Fern journey to find the Heartstone, meeting allies like a proud gryphon named Galen and a mischievous sprite named Lila. They face challenges like navigating the Whispering Woods, where trees tell confusing tales, and outsmarting a riddling Sphinx.

4. Climax (200 words)

Confrontation: Clara and her companions reach Malachi's lair, a twisted tower of dark magic.

Battle: A tense battle ensues with Clara using her wits and newly found courage to outmaneuver Malachi.

Resolution: Clara retrieves the Heartstone and restores it to its place in the forest, banishing Malachi.

5. Conclusion (150 words)

Farewells: Clara says goodbye to her new friends, promising to return someday.

Return Home: She steps back through the hidden door, finding herself in the library again.

Reflection: Clara realizes she has grown braver and more confident, and the library holds more wonder than she ever imagined.

Hiya, I am doing the same one so thank you for the plan

Quick Reply