The Student Room Group

Do grades improve in third year?

I am currently a student at the University of Liverpool. At my uni the overall classification awarded is based on 30% second year and 70% third year. I’ve had a really difficult second year due to a major injury and surgery which impacted me greatly both physically and mentally. I missed an exam worth 40% of one of my modules as it was on the same day as my surgery. I have been granted extenuating circumstances for this and another assignment and will be ‘sitting to improve’ this summer. I suspect after these re-sits I will have a borderline 2.1 for the year. I’m hoping I can do well in third year and solidify this 2.1. I’ve picked modules more suited to me and was wondering if grades generally improve for students between second and third year? What do the statistics and your own personal experience suggest? Thanks
Original post by Georgebuckley47
I am currently a student at the University of Liverpool. At my uni the overall classification awarded is based on 30% second year and 70% third year. I’ve had a really difficult second year due to a major injury and surgery which impacted me greatly both physically and mentally. I missed an exam worth 40% of one of my modules as it was on the same day as my surgery. I have been granted extenuating circumstances for this and another assignment and will be ‘sitting to improve’ this summer. I suspect after these re-sits I will have a borderline 2.1 for the year. I’m hoping I can do well in third year and solidify this 2.1. I’ve picked modules more suited to me and was wondering if grades generally improve for students between second and third year? What do the statistics and your own personal experience suggest? Thanks

Hey,

Sorry to hear about your tough second year, but it's great that you've been granted extenuating circumstances and have the opportunity to improve this summer.

From what I’ve seen and heard, many students do tend to improve their grades between the second and third year. There are a few reasons for this. First, by the third year, you’ll likely have a better understanding of your subject and more experience with university-level exams and assignments. Plus, you’ve had the chance to pick modules that suit your strengths and interests, which can make a big difference.

At Salford, we also have support services to help students succeed, like academic advisors and study skills workshops. It might be worth looking into similar resources at Liverpool to give you that extra boost. Additionally, the fact that 70% of your final grade comes from third-year means you have a significant opportunity to improve your overall classification.

By the third year, students become more adept at managing their workload and understanding what is required to achieve higher marks. I found that starting work early, focusing on modules I disliked and seeking help when needed made a huge difference (granted this is during my 2nd year).

Keep pushing through and make the most of the resources available to you. Best of luck with your resits and your third year!

Cheers,
Arslan University of Salford Student Representative
Original post by Georgebuckley47

Hi @Georgebuckley47,

First off, I'm sorry to hear about the difficulties you've been facing throughout your second year. It's only natural that a major injury/surgery would throw your grades a bit off, so I wouldn't say your current cirumstances are a true reflection of your overall potential.

On the whole (and from my experience), grades generally do intend to improve in the third year, as students become more focused on their final degree outcome, have a better understanding of their assignments and spend longer periods of time studying. If you've specifically chosen modules that work for you, this should also help - you'll likely be more motivated to learn the material, which should ultimately lead to higher marks.

Echoing what Arslan said above - check out what academic support services are available through your university, and have a chat with your tutors about ways you could improve your marks. Your final degree classification is down to you, however, so try and put in as much effort as you can to solidify that 2.1.! 🙂

Best of luck,
Eve (Kingston Rep).

Quick Reply