The Student Room Group

What to study after undergraduate Psychology

I have just completed my Psychology Bsc and wish to work towards becoming an educational psychologist. What should I do next...a doctorate? Is it possible to do this online?
Original post by emmahstagg75
I have just completed my Psychology Bsc and wish to work towards becoming an educational psychologist. What should I do next...a doctorate? Is it possible to do this online?

Yes you will need a doctorate, but you will need most likely many years of experience working in schools, alongside educational psychologists or in research to get a place. The doctorate requires specific knowledge and skills you wont gain just on your undergraduate. The doctorate is also a mix of practical and theory, so no you cannot do it online.

Greg
I would apply for a masters in educational psychology and try to get some work experience as a teaching assistant/ working with SEN children in schools for example. The doctorate will require a couple years of experience at least and will be quite competitive so by completing these steps first you'll have a higher chance of later getting onto a doctorate :smile:
Original post by emmahstagg75

Yes, a doctorate is required to be an educational psychologist. While some online programs exist, in-person training for practical skills is preferred. Research accredited programs in your area.

Quick Reply