The Student Room Group

lost on what to do - panic rant

definitely got BDU for my alevels if not then ACU at best and I don't know if I would want to resit for that subject with a U - I deeply despise it and have zero discipline to sit down for an extended time studying something I don't enjoy. Would I still be able to get into a foundation year in uni with those grades (Brighton so not a high tier uni I believe) ? And even if by Gods gracious miracle clearing backs me is it even worth going to uni with how I am now and with these grades...I've already started applying for apprenticeships and looking into higher access education but I'm so lost with what to do with myself. I understand I am the only person at fault for my predicament and that if i want things to get better I need to improve my mindset around studying but its like damn a U after 2 years would a 1 year resit be able to fix that. Let me tell you that me and that subject are like oil and water, simply does not click , in fact exams were so bad that after leaving the exam hall I would look forward to revising the other subject I had left. Anything but a gap year in all honesty. I forgot to mention that a BD is equivalent to 64 ucas points and on UCAS it stated that apparently the course in Brighton I was offered allowed students in with DDE which is also 64 points however it is 3 full alevels in comparison to 2....they asked CCC from me in the conditional offer...and there is another foundation course they have with a 72 point equivalent requirement.....both are stated to be in clearing so it must mean they want to fill space but those foundations are very popular for med students in results day so they would fill up quickly. I've gone into coping territory now 💀
Original post by Xerohero
definitely got BDU for my alevels if not then ACU at best and I don't know if I would want to resit for that subject with a U - I deeply despise it and have zero discipline to sit down for an extended time studying something I don't enjoy. Would I still be able to get into a foundation year in uni with those grades (Brighton so not a high tier uni I believe) ? And even if by Gods gracious miracle clearing backs me is it even worth going to uni with how I am now and with these grades...I've already started applying for apprenticeships and looking into higher access education but I'm so lost with what to do with myself. I understand I am the only person at fault for my predicament and that if i want things to get better I need to improve my mindset around studying but its like damn a U after 2 years would a 1 year resit be able to fix that. Let me tell you that me and that subject are like oil and water, simply does not click , in fact exams were so bad that after leaving the exam hall I would look forward to revising the other subject I had left. Anything but a gap year in all honesty. I forgot to mention that a BD is equivalent to 64 ucas points and on UCAS it stated that apparently the course in Brighton I was offered allowed students in with DDE which is also 64 points however it is 3 full alevels in comparison to 2....they asked CCC from me in the conditional offer...and there is another foundation course they have with a 72 point equivalent requirement.....both are stated to be in clearing so it must mean they want to fill space but those foundations are very popular for med students in results day so they would fill up quickly. I've gone into coping territory now 💀

Trust i’m in a similar boat as you, and this is after 3 years because i resat to do better, I think i’m going to come out with ABU. Redoing a year is no problem at all as many people do it, and many also take gap years so you wouldn’t be alone in joining university ‘a year late’. I even saw fellow classmates from when I initially started college sitting their A Levels presumably as private candidates which was shocking seeing so many in my exams.

It is still worth going to university as it will be in a subject you enjoy, and that will come much easier to you. My possible U is in business which I hate with a passion and have 0 desire for, even with my revision it just was not cutting it because the lack of interest meant any revision I did went in one ear and out the other. What are you wanting to study at university? Do you care where you go too much? Because there are loads of options.

From my POV, I think redoing a year at college would be more beneficial than a foundation year purely due to the financial aspects. You can usually redo another year free of charge up to the age of 19, whereas for a foundation year you’re paying 9k for the course and the accommodation fees on top which could equate from 15-20k in total roughly depending on where you’d go. This is a lot you could save on your loan repayments. Redoing the year could also mean you fast track an easier subject to take instead of your U subject, and also retake the subject you think you’ll get a D in. If not, it would just be a full repeat of second year for all of your current subjects (although I think retaking second year for one subject and fast tracking another would be better).

If you don’t want to redo the year, you could also do an access course. This means you take a year to get enough credits to start at university. As you would have completed A Levels, you can take this for free. You’d have to look into this further but I think if you go to university after the access course the debt of the course is wiped.

Foundation years are still good though as they get you up to a standard ready to start on your desired pathway. It’s just a shame they cost as much as the rest of the degree pathway. Lots of people take these, I truly think you should still go to university for the course of your choice. Having a passion for a subject makes all the difference. My friends at university absolutely loved first year, many were not set on going until second year of their college days began. Even if results don’t go your way, there is always options to get where you want to go.
(edited 3 weeks ago)
Commenting bc I also wanna know about the UCAS points thing, like would they accept 2 grades instead of 3 as long as they add up to a reasonable total? Since UCAS doesn’t give data for less or more than 3 A levels it’s hard to predict how unis would feel about it
Reply 3
Original post by minyoongibiased
Commenting bc I also wanna know about the UCAS points thing, like would they accept 2 grades instead of 3 as long as they add up to a reasonable total? Since UCAS doesn’t give data for less or more than 3 A levels it’s hard to predict how unis would feel about it

UCAS points are so confusing, my brother got DEE which is 56 points last time i checked yet got into economics which requires 104-112 points which must be ABB, granted this was during covid so everything was a bit weird back then. At the end of the day unis are a business so getting as many students as possible to pay 9k+ seems to be the goal.

Hope someone more knowledgeable answers for both our sakes 🤧🙏 also interesting username lol ^^7
Reply 4
Original post by greentiger
Trust i’m in a similar boat as you, and this is after 3 years because i resat to do better, I think i’m going to come out with ABU. Redoing a year is no problem at all as many people do it, and many also take gap years so you wouldn’t be alone in joining university ‘a year late’. I even saw fellow classmates from when I initially started college sitting their A Levels presumably as private candidates which was shocking seeing so many in my exams.
It is still worth going to university as it will be in a subject you enjoy, and that will come much easier to you. My possible U is in business which I hate with a passion and have 0 desire for, even with my revision it just was not cutting it because the lack of interest meant any revision I did went in one ear and out the other. What are you wanting to study at university? Do you care where you go too much? Because there are loads of options.
From my POV, I think redoing a year at college would be more beneficial than a foundation year purely due to the financial aspects. You can usually redo another year free of charge up to the age of 19, whereas for a foundation year you’re paying 9k for the course and the accommodation fees on top which could equate from 15-20k in total roughly depending on where you’d go. This is a lot you could save on your loan repayments. Redoing the year could also mean you fast track an easier subject to take instead of your U subject, and also retake the subject you think you’ll get a D in. If not, it would just be a full repeat of second year for all of your current subjects (although I think retaking second year for one subject and fast tracking another would be better).
If you don’t want to redo the year, you could also do an access course. This means you take a year to get enough credits to start at university. As you would have completed A Levels, you can take this for free. You’d have to look into this further but I think if you go to university after the access course the debt of the course is wiped.
Foundation years are still good though as they get you up to a standard ready to start on your desired pathway. It’s just a shame they cost as much as the rest of the degree pathway. Lots of people take these, I truly think you should still go to university for the course of your choice. Having a passion for a subject makes all the difference. My friends at university absolutely loved first year, many were not set on going until second year of their college days began. Even if results don’t go your way, there is always options to get where you want to go.

thank you so much for taking your time to reply, it honestly means so much to me that someone else is going through something similar when everyone else seems sorted. I wasn't aware you could choose a different subject when retaking year 13, unless im reading your post wrong? I would gladly retake if so but my sixth form has very limited choices and none of them interest me at all. I'll probably ask my sixth form today how it works and another college.

Quick Reply