The Student Room Group

Using bachelor's grade instead of masters

Hi,
I did quite well in my bachelor's whereas I did quite a bit worse in master's. To the point where I met the entry requirements with my bachelor's and not with my master's. So I have two questions regarding if I was to do another master's or a PhD:

1) Would I be less likely to get in due to master's grade?
2) Can I get away with having a sufficient bachelor's grade and not master's grade?
Original post by Ventus25
Hi,
I did quite well in my bachelor's whereas I did quite a bit worse in master's. To the point where I met the entry requirements with my bachelor's and not with my master's. So I have two questions regarding if I was to do another master's or a PhD:
2) Can I get away with having a sufficient bachelor's grade and not master's grade?

Definitely talk to the university that u are applying, if u feel u met the requirements then go for it, your bachelors may be enough if u got a good grade (a first) and did well in your dissertation. Furthermore, with that being said, also ask yourself why u did worse in your masters, maybe research is not for u. Take into consideration that u will be spending huge amounts of money if u want to do another master.
Hi,

A PhD is off the cards with that profile. A strong undergrad and direct application to a PhD, in some subject areas is enough. However, if you have shown a struggle with Masters level work, then that's not going to build confidence for a PhD. And you can't chose, an application will ask for all prior degrees.
Reply 3
Thanks both of you for the reply, the thing is what if the reason I did worse was just the exam modules I picked this year? Like the modules that didn’t really have to do with my subject but I still had to pick as many of the others weren’t interesting/also not part of the subject. However, I got a 2.1 in my research dissertation so would that help? Or is phd level normally looking for firsts?
(edited 3 weeks ago)
Reply 4
Hi, joining the convo sorry. I think it depends on the PhD, so for me I have a first in my undergrad. I think I did have an advantage on my undergrad grade. But honestly they’re more likely to look at what you got on your research project in your masters and undergrad. I think it also depends on how well you fit on that PhD program, because unlike when you apply for undergrad and postgrad degrees they’re more likely going to look at you and what you have done, compared to what grade you got. But then again it depends. I would put both your undergrad and masters grade on there though, I think it’ll look sus if you didn’t tell them your masters, also if you took it off and and someone applied to the same project who does have a masters, they may be more inclined to give them the PhD because they technically have more research experience. As long as you passed it, then you should be fine 🙂
Hi,

You will need to declare all qualifications. You probably will find you will qualify for admissions if you meet the minimum entry criteria however you won’t make a competitive application for funding and good supervisors will probably have stronger candidates in their pool of potential researchers looking to join their group.
(edited 3 weeks ago)

Quick Reply