The Student Room Group

WJEC Religious Studies

hii i’m doing this in sept and just want to know what to expect and if i should read anything or do anything over summer that will help
Original post by Han.oth
hii i’m doing this in sept and just want to know what to expect and if i should read anything or do anything over summer that will help

Hi!!! Im in year 13 and just finished my a levels. I did Eduqas/wjec Religious studies for one of my subjects. I have got to warn you, expect to be lured in to begin with. My teachers presented the nice easy stuff first and then it quickly ramped up. DO NOT underestimate this topic at all. It requires so much planning and revision. Make sure to keep ALL OF YOUR NOTES SAFE. And improve them along the way.

If you do want to do extra reading, that is actually relevant to the course, there's a website called A-Level philosophy and ethics revision. On it theres summaries of the topics you will study. So if you want to get ahead in getting your head around the topics - which I strongly recommend - this might be a good place to start. It's also great for later revision.

Also the Would you Kill A Fat Man and the Trolley Problem are good things to research as well. I think there's a book for both, definitely. Peter Vardy's The Puzzle Of Ethics (I think that's the title) was also a recommended read for us.

If you know what your religious component is, like for example our school did Judaism, see if there are any video summaries to introduce you to the religion, so you have some context before you start. Especially if you're doing a more uncommon religion or one you're not familiar with. Knowing the history and roots of the religion is very helpful.

Anyways, hope you enjoy the course! It is interesting but do not underestimate it or you will regret it. It is the sort of a level you might not think much of to begin with but then realise it actually requires far more effort than you first thought. This was the case for my entire r. e class and others on here from what I've read. It is interesting, the ethical theories we study are particularly interesting and the use of religious language is a cool concept in philosophy, I liked that side of it most (once I understood it. )

ALSO. If, like me, you end up having a flaky teacher, do not have mercy. Speak up when they don't show up. We didn't, because we underestimated exactly how many lessons he would eventually miss and this just made revision extremely stressful, because we were half revising, half learning content. If your teacher starts to not show up - which I really hope isn't an issue in your case, I would not wish this upon my worst enemy - speak up. Tell your head of year or someone above them. A levels are not a joke and some teachers - because they teach the content every year - sometimes think it's not that serious.

OK. Well. I hope that was helpful! Good luck with everything! I hope I didn't scare you with all this. It really is a very good a level, it just requires a lot of focus. 🙂
Reply 2
Original post by Ioana2006
Hi!!! Im in year 13 and just finished my a levels. I did Eduqas/wjec Religious studies for one of my subjects. I have got to warn you, expect to be lured in to begin with. My teachers presented the nice easy stuff first and then it quickly ramped up. DO NOT underestimate this topic at all. It requires so much planning and revision. Make sure to keep ALL OF YOUR NOTES SAFE. And improve them along the way.
If you do want to do extra reading, that is actually relevant to the course, there's a website called A-Level philosophy and ethics revision. On it theres summaries of the topics you will study. So if you want to get ahead in getting your head around the topics - which I strongly recommend - this might be a good place to start. It's also great for later revision.
Also the Would you Kill A Fat Man and the Trolley Problem are good things to research as well. I think there's a book for both, definitely. Peter Vardy's The Puzzle Of Ethics (I think that's the title) was also a recommended read for us.
If you know what your religious component is, like for example our school did Judaism, see if there are any video summaries to introduce you to the religion, so you have some context before you start. Especially if you're doing a more uncommon religion or one you're not familiar with. Knowing the history and roots of the religion is very helpful.
Anyways, hope you enjoy the course! It is interesting but do not underestimate it or you will regret it. It is the sort of a level you might not think much of to begin with but then realise it actually requires far more effort than you first thought. This was the case for my entire r. e class and others on here from what I've read. It is interesting, the ethical theories we study are particularly interesting and the use of religious language is a cool concept in philosophy, I liked that side of it most (once I understood it. )
ALSO. If, like me, you end up having a flaky teacher, do not have mercy. Speak up when they don't show up. We didn't, because we underestimated exactly how many lessons he would eventually miss and this just made revision extremely stressful, because we were half revising, half learning content. If your teacher starts to not show up - which I really hope isn't an issue in your case, I would not wish this upon my worst enemy - speak up. Tell your head of year or someone above them. A levels are not a joke and some teachers - because they teach the content every year - sometimes think it's not that serious.
OK. Well. I hope that was helpful! Good luck with everything! I hope I didn't scare you with all this. It really is a very good a level, it just requires a lot of focus. 🙂

thank you so so much this was super helpful!!

Quick Reply