This discussion is closed.
riotgrrrl
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
I give up!

How on earth do you decide uins?

I would like to do History at a on campus uni with lots of music clubs.
So far I have warwick to look at but that includes learnig Italian or studying wuropian language which I d9ont want to do...

Can anyone help me?
swishmasta
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
hmm warwick for lots of music clubs???? i woudnt think so. ermm you could try checking out league tables on the guardian website, or ask around. are you an international student?
trev
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
You could try looking at un-official guides on the uni's or look at uni's website.
RachelBabyfrog
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
You just have to order one hell of a lot of prospectuses and use them for bedtime reading... make lots of lists, tear them up and apply to completely different places.
nas7232
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
www.ucas.com > course search

20 min job max
john williams
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Have a look at the league tables to narrow down the decent uni's, then research to see if they do your courses..Nottingham is a good campus uni.
Sian01
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by historyhoney)
I give up!

So far I have warwick to look at but that includes learnig Italian or studying wuropian language which I d9ont want to do...

Can anyone help me?
York is a campus uni, and has an amazing history course. Not really sure about the music clubs things, but i remember them saying they had lots of socieities. I would really recommend having a look at it, when I went to visit it I fell in love with it, so could well end up there come October!
riotgrrrl
Rep:
?
Okay - I am from England and I have all the prospectusus that had history and music but currently they are in a box in my wardrobe! They are so confusing cos they all say - we are good universities, etc! Okay I shall take your advice given so far - anyone else have any advice?
Kew
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Are you still considering Royal Holloway at all?
riotgrrrl
Rep:
?
(Original post by kew96158)
Are you still considering Royal Holloway at all?
hey - you remembered! Yeah I am - as it is mostly on campus and it looks good too - Its just a bit confusing about what else I should look for
Kew
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
hey - you remembered! Yeah I am - as it is mostly on campus and it looks good too - Its just a bit confusing about what else I should look for
Oh yes, I remembered! Not sure what you mean at the end though. We could chat on msn if you like - I'm online at the moment.
~Sam~
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
What makes you so sure you want a campus? I thought that too but when I started visiting unis, I decided that I much prefered city ones. You shouldn't rule out all non-campus unis without looking round some first
Kew
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Are you deciding to go with single honours History then, rather than joint honours Music and History?
riotgrrrl
Rep:
?
Oh yes, I remembered! Not sure what you mean at the end though. We could chat on msn if you like - I'm online at the moment.
heya - sorry I just gor that n I'm going to bed ill Deffo would like to chat though soon, thanks
riotgrrrl
Rep:
?
Are you deciding to go with single honours History then, rather than joint honours Music and History?
Dad said joint Music and history would be too much - I'm inclined to agree but would want to do a lor of Orchestras - chamber etc. wherever I went
riotgrrrl
Rep:
?
(Original post by ~Sam~)
What makes you so sure you want a campus? I thought that too but when I started visiting unis, I decided that I much prefered city ones. You shouldn't rule out all non-campus unis without looking round some first
I dont really like big cites - I find them too busy so I will be primarly looking at campus - but am open to non campus suggestions
riotgrrrl
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
when you say music what do you mean? music appreciation, orchestras, rocksocs or local clubs with good music playing?
Orchestra, chamber, choir, etc. I play the viola and sing
Kew
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Dad said joint Music and history would be too much - I'm inclined to agree but would want to do a lor of Orchestras - chamber etc. wherever I went
Well, speaking as someone doing a joint Music and History degree, I wouldn't say it's too much, but maybe that's just me...

Hope you get well soon!
Flicker
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I give up!

Can anyone help me?
ir you're not doing a music degree then maybe have a look at unis that don't have a music degree - such as UCL - because then you can access the ensembles and practise rooms without having to compete with music students who need the credits, etc. that's what i was told and it made sense when i had a look around, as i want to keep my music up but i'm diong a science degree.

i'm going to sussex - it has a good music course so lots of ensembles and practise rooms but ensembles don't count as credits for the music students so there's no preferential treatment. it's also a campus based uni but with brighton nearby for a big city. have a look there?
kellywood_5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Why would doing joint music and history be too much? Joint Honours courses are the same amount of work, you just split your modules between two subjects. You'd be more likely to stay interested and motivated as well- for example, when you got sick of doing work for music, you could switch to history and vice versa.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (31)
25%
No (93)
75%

Watched Threads