The Student Room Group

Help about a level options anyone do these too

So edexcel business ocr law aqa econ aqa psych aqa sociology lmk which of these is not just memorisation but also applying heard soc isn’t Ik psych and law defo is how about business and economics lmk guys
Original post by Brianstudy01
So edexcel business ocr law aqa econ aqa psych aqa sociology lmk which of these is not just memorisation but also applying heard soc isn’t Ik psych and law defo is how about business and economics lmk guys

This sounds like it's all over the place.

First things first:

What career are you going for?

What degree are you going for?

Have you looked at the entry requirements for the degrees? If you have, what do they say?

Why those specific A Levels?

Can you also write in full sentences? It's somewhat difficult to make out what you wrote.

To answer what I think are your questions:
lmk which of these is not just memorisation but also applying
Business is about 80% application and 20% random regurgitation of material
Economics is about memorisation, but it's also about applying the theory in a number of different talking points as well as applying critical thinking. Again, about 80% application and 20% memorisation, which is why it's said that they are both similar subjects.
Psychology is more about research methods more than actual psychological theory. I would put it down as 40% memorisation and 60% application.
I don't have exposure to law (mostly because I detest the subject), but from what I have heard it involves a lot of memorisation, but you are also applying case laws to specific hypothetical scenarios.
Sociology is somewhat like psychology in than you have to memorise quite a bit, but a lot of it is application. Again, I didn't do this subject, but I have read some of the books.

Do note, none of the subjects you have mentioned are required subjects, and you typically don't need them to do most of the degrees in those subjects e.g. you don't need specific subjects to study business, law, or sociology. You will need A Level Maths to do economics at degree level and you borderline need biology/psychology for a handful of psychology degrees (otherwise you don't need specific subjects at A Level). I would be wary of your choices if you have specific degree courses in mind.

Quick Reply