The Student Room Group

Further mechanics vs decision

Hello,

So am currently doing maths,further maths,physics and econ.
Am in yr 12 and have done my AS in fm so gonna do A2 next year.
My college does decision and further stats for fm modules.
I honestly hate decision and just hate it to the fullest. I remember in the class not able to understand basic dijistras algorithm like I got it afterwards but I was the slowest in the class whereas for pure maths and further stats am one of the fastest.

So, becz I do physics and I love mechanics, I think its a good idea to do further mechanics. So it might sound crazy but do you think I should ask my college that I dont wanna do decision module anymore and self learn fm1?
I hate decision to the moon and I do love mechanics and dont mind spending hours on it.
Please help!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Shubham9548
Hello,
I honestly hate decision and just hate it to the fullest. I remember in the class not able to understand basic dijistras algorithm like I got it afterwards but I was the slowest in the class whereas for pure maths and further stats am one of the fastest.
So, becz I do physics and I love mechanics, I think its a good idea to do further mechanics. So it might sound crazy but do you think I should ask my college that I dont wanna do decision module anymore and self learn fm1?
I hate decision to the moon and I do love mechanics and dont mind spending hours on it.
Please help!

Why don't they teach all the options?

https://www.drfrost.org/courses.php?coid=352
Original post by Muttley79

Because generally the college chooses 2 options for you whereas some colleges give an option to pick out of 3 but mine doesn't plus there are only 2 maths teachers so not possible for my college to teach more than 2?
I believe in myself that I can self learn further mechanics and would love doing it so should I ask my college for that?
Hello,
Please help!

HI I just finished a levels, I did further maths and the modules I did were further mechanics and statistics. Further mechanics shares topics with a level physics, like energy conservation and momentum and impulse, but of course there's a lot of new stuff that u don't learn in physics like coefficient of restitution etc. But the fact that u like physics and mechanics shows u are very likely to enjoy further mechanics. It's definitely possible to self study in a year, but why not teach yourself some of it over the summer to see if u actually enjoy it more than decision. If u feel it is boring or too much content to learn over a year than I would stick to decision but if u really like it and think it's possible to learn over a year then sure u can if u want. But just make sure u do consistently work on it, that's really important. I think u can even learn most of it throughout the summer if u want
Because generally the college chooses 2 options for you whereas some colleges give an option to pick out of 3 but mine doesn't plus there are only 2 maths teachers so not possible for my college to teach more than 2?
I believe in myself that I can self learn further mechanics and would love doing it so should I ask my college for that?

I teach more than one option at a time - it's not difficult. The link I posted has resources for the option you want to do. Why not ask them you have nothing to lose?
I teach more than one option at a time - it's not difficult. The link I posted has resources for the option you want to do. Why not ask them you have nothing to lose?

Yes thanks for sharing that!
Appreciate it!
Original post by ronakkumar700
HI I just finished a levels, I did further maths and the modules I did were further mechanics and statistics. Further mechanics shares topics with a level physics, like energy conservation and momentum and impulse, but of course there's a lot of new stuff that u don't learn in physics like coefficient of restitution etc. But the fact that u like physics and mechanics shows u are very likely to enjoy further mechanics. It's definitely possible to self study in a year, but why not teach yourself some of it over the summer to see if u actually enjoy it more than decision. If u feel it is boring or too much content to learn over a year than I would stick to decision but if u really like it and think it's possible to learn over a year then sure u can if u want. But just make sure u do consistently work on it, that's really important. I think u can even learn most of it throughout the summer if u want

Yes I have actually researched a bit abt coefficient of restitution which is denoted by e and is 0 and 1 depending upon inelastic or elastic collision. So why do I know this? Well simply because I like physics and mechanics is my favourite topic! So I think it looks like a good choice for me to do fm1
Thanks for sharing your experience!
Appreciate it!

Wait your school teaches ALL the options??
Original post by mosaurlodon
Wait your school teaches ALL the options??

Yes - when it was modular we taught all 18 so why not continue? CS students prefer Decision and others want mechanics so it makes sense to us.
Hello,
Please help!

I was in a very similar situation to you. My school did Further Pure 1 and Decision 1. I hated Decision and kept making small algebraic errors so I taught myself Further Mechanics 1 from the book. It's definitely doable and I'd assume Physics A-Level helps (I did Chemistry instead). I didn't end up sitting the exams due to COVID but I was due to sit it and, if I remember rightly, they just take the best two of your two optional modules and your core modules. Check with your teachers, though.

That would take a lot of time and not every school has the resources to teach all of them for not a whole lot of benefit.
Original post by melancollege
That would take a lot of time and not every school has the resources to teach all of them for not a whole lot of benefit.

Of course it doesn't take any more time; how do you work that out?. The students chose which ones they want to do and I work out the best way - teaching two at a time is simple! Everyone studies the options they need for uni and so it's a win-win for everyone!
Of course it doesn't take any more time; how do you work that out?. The students chose which ones they want to do and I work out the best way - teaching two at a time is simple! Everyone studies the options they need for uni and so it's a win-win for everyone!

I meant in teaching hours. Not every school has sufficient teachers to teach all modules, my college definitely didn't
I meant in teaching hours. Not every school has sufficient teachers to teach all modules, my college definitely didn't

No, same teaching hours - I teach two modules in the same lesson ... no more staff needed.
No, same teaching hours - I teach two modules in the same lesson ... no more staff needed.

I'm assuming you teach in a particularly high-performing school. Again, this is not an easy option for most schools. Regardless, even if you teach two modules at once, you are still doing four times as many optional modules as required (for Edexcel, correct me if it's different for other exam boards) so you'd still be taking twice or four times as much time.

I'm not disputing that you do it, just pointing out that this isn't an option for most schools.
I'm assuming you teach in a particularly high-performing school. Again, this is not an easy option for most schools. Regardless, even if you teach two modules at once, you are still doing four times as many optional modules as required (for Edexcel, correct me if it's different for other exam boards) so you'd still be taking twice or four times as much time.
I'm not disputing that you do it, just pointing out that this isn't an option for most schools.

It takes no more time - honestly - why do you think it does? If I'm teaching two modules I do input for one and they work on the topic then the other - I alternate which group has their teaching first. I've also done this in a comp where I had higher and foundation in the same group.
It takes no more time - honestly - why do you think it does? If I'm teaching two modules I do input for one and they work on the topic then the other - I alternate which group has their teaching first. I've also done this in a comp where I had higher and foundation in the same group.

At least in Edexcel, there are eight optional modules: Decision 1 and 2, Further Mechanics 1 and 2, Further Statistics 1 and 2 and Further Pure 1 and 2.

The requirement is 2. Even if you're doing them at twice the rate, it would still take twice as long as doing 2 normally.
At least in Edexcel, there are eight optional modules: Decision 1 and 2, Further Mechanics 1 and 2, Further Statistics 1 and 2 and Further Pure 1 and 2.
The requirement is 2. Even if you're doing them at twice the rate, it would still take twice as long as doing 2 normally.

It doesn't - why can't you understand? I get the same amount of lessons and students don't alwys need me to cover all 8. Sometimes I might even teach three different ones at once.
Each student only studies two of the 8 - all the additional work is mine not theirs.

I see you ignore my point about GCSE ... again no more lessons
(edited 3 weeks ago)
It doesn't - why can't you understand? I get the same amount of lessons and students don't alwys need me to cover all 8. Sometimes I might even teach three different ones at once.
Each student only studies two of the 8 - all the additional work is mine not theirs.
I see you ignore my point about GCSE ... again no more lessons

I'm not talking about students' time, I'm talking about teachers' time. I'm not disputing that you can do it, just that it's not an option for every sixth form and college around the country
I'm not talking about students' time, I'm talking about teachers' time. I'm not disputing that you can do it, just that it's not an option for every sixth form and college around the country

It've taught them all so it's no more work - I'm marking the same amount of student assignments. Teachers should support student needs.

Quick Reply