The Student Room Group

student finance

I need my student finance to be based on household income, but I don't live with either of my parents. I know that it would still be based on their income, but I haven't had contact with my dad in years, and haven't been able to contact my mother since the beginning of this year. I put my mothers details on my application because she is my legal guardian, and I had had contact with her in the last 6 months at the time of applying. They are my legal guardians still, but they literally cannot support my application. I have no idea what to do. I've never lived with either of them and have always been entirely financially dependent on another family member who receives my child benefits. If I don't get the finance approved, I will not be able to go to university.
Original post by arachred
I need my student finance to be based on household income, but I don't live with either of my parents. I know that it would still be based on their income, but I haven't had contact with my dad in years, and haven't been able to contact my mother since the beginning of this year. I put my mothers details on my application because she is my legal guardian, and I had had contact with her in the last 6 months at the time of applying. They are my legal guardians still, but they literally cannot support my application. I have no idea what to do. I've never lived with either of them and have always been entirely financially dependent on another family member who receives my child benefits. If I don't get the finance approved, I will not be able to go to university.

Try and get in contact with them through another family member, or just show up to their house. Think of some sort of way to come into contact with them, and don’t worry either. No need to panic or get anxious, it’s a waste of your energy. There is no time limit for submitting student finance details, you can literally submit them in August if you have to, I had the same problem when doing mine this year and stressed so much and it was for nothing. Relax and think of ways to contact them, you will go to University.
Reply 2
Original post by Albert_burdett
Try and get in contact with them through another family member, or just show up to their house. Think of some sort of way to come into contact with them, and don’t worry either. No need to panic or get anxious, it’s a waste of your energy. There is no time limit for submitting student finance details, you can literally submit them in August if you have to, I had the same problem when doing mine this year and stressed so much and it was for nothing. Relax and think of ways to contact them, you will go to University.
Thank you for the reply!

Unfortunately, when I say contact has been cut with them, I mean by everyone in the family. My parents had me when they were very young so my dad was rarely in the picture to begin with, and my mother isn't on good terms with anyone, really, and even those who are still willing to contact her, she refuses to speak to. I would show up at her house, but I genuinely can't. Even if I could get in contact with her, she would refuse to do it anyways - It's just a lot to be thinking about, considering that without the money granted based on household income, there is no way I will be able to afford to go. I'm trying to not let it get to me, but it's weighing on my mind constantly lmao

Quick Reply