The Student Room Group

Is it unusual that I can't stand the people on internet dating apps??

I must be weirdly out of step with modern culture but the general pomposity, pretentiousness and insincerity on these apps makes me sick. I rarely find profiles attractive because it's about something unique in the eyes and few have it.
And they seem to be single because they are pompous and grandiose and picky and choosy.
The competitive and gamified environment will always bring out the loudest worst in some people.
Trying to pick a partner - or select someone who you'd potentially like to be your partner - via a dating app profile, which essentially consists of a few photos, some basic info (education level, height, religion, etc.) and some (hopefully!) witty lines of text is an incredibly unnatural way to do it. I think very few people actually like dating apps, though swiping absolutely can be addictive.
Its that awful inauthentic, plastic, soulless feeling to it all. I was born in '81 so experienced quite a lot of the world before it became like this, thus rendering the contrast more painful.
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 5
It’s not a shock.

Apps like Tinder have contributed to the degredation of modern society by reducing dating to shallow, surface based preference. Couple that with men being desperate for sex and feminism teaching women they should expect perfection and you get a perfect storm of tediousness.

Of course the reality is that the larger pool advantages women in sexual selection but has led to greater unhapiness, falling marriage rates and having children later. Basically, more childless spinsters.

Contrast this to the 70’s and before when the dating pool was ten blokes at work and ten in the local pub, half of which you could rule out various reasons. This meant that women (especially less desirable) had to give a guy a chance and couldn’t just go on one date, judge the guy and go for the next. Thus a connection was made because of knowing each other in greater depth.

I say this ironically as somebody who met dozens of women via dating apps until about a d3cade ago.
If you can't stand people on dating apps, why are you going on dating apps?
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Gazpacho.

Societal pressure for some, social ineptness for others I’d guess.
Original post by Gazpacho.

I tried for a while on the bumble app because unfortunately my real life connections, vastly superior and more valuable obviously, sadly, fell through, right people, wrong time and circumstances.
Original post by SaucissonSecCy
I must be weirdly out of step with modern culture but the general pomposity, pretentiousness and insincerity on these apps makes me sick. I rarely find profiles attractive because it's about something unique in the eyes and few have it.

As you're over 40, I would suggest finding a woman abroad, ideally in the east where a decent man is not likely to be set aside by a women.
Original post by hairyswordsman
As you're over 40, I would suggest finding a woman abroad, ideally in the east where a decent man is not likely to be set aside by a women.

I dont really relate to orientals. Indians possibly
Reply 11
I like online dating and the girls on them
It's not unusual.

The online dating world is like a circus, jungle, zoo, matchmaking agency and aquarium all blended together.
Filled with weird attention seekers, social media stepford singles clones, obvious problem daters and fake looking creatures that mostly give the impression of being plastic dolls made wrong.

Quick Reply