mothers forced to give fathers name on birth certificate

Watch
tom//
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
i dont really see why these childrens charities object really, is this a step in the right direction?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...rtificate.html
Hobnobs Galore
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
No, in my opinion a father isn't the same as a biological father
tom//
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hobnobs Galore)
No, in my opinion a father isn't the same as a biological father
"Once established as the father, using DNA tests if necessary"???
Smack
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I don't see why single mothers object. If the state knows who the father is, they know who to track down for child support. Many single mothers are struggling - especially now with the credit crunch and winter fuel bills - so they could be better off financially.
No Longer_Active
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
and if they don't remember who the father was? :P
tom//
Rep:
?
(Original post by Shelly from London)
and if they don't remember who the father was? :P
then they dont get child support
tashhh
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Surely it would be more important for a child if, for example, put into the adoption system etc, to have the names of both biological parents? Not only should children have the right to know their names but equally ought to be given access to the regularly updated medical records of their biological parents, in case of genetic diseases occuring in later life.
fire2burn
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
What happens to people who've had multiple partners and aren't sure which one is most likely to be the father? It's impractical, time consuming and costly to drag everyone in and DNA test the lot of them.
UniOfLife
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Anyone thinking about the child here? Doesn't the child have a right to know who their father is?
Psyk
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Sounds reasonable to me as long as they take adequate steps to prove the father really is the father. Which it seems is the case.

Of course this should also mean the father should automatically get visitation rights unless there is a good reason they shouldn't (history of violence, the child was conceived through rape, on the sex offenders register, etc).
Psyk
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Another thing. Maybe this is already possible but I think it should be made simple enough to switch the roles of the father and mother if they are all in agreement. I.e. if they want to the father takes care of the child and the mother pays maintenance.
fire2burn
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by UniOfLife)
Anyone thinking about the child here? Doesn't the child have a right to know who their father is?
There are sometimes cases though when people literally do not know who the father could possibly be. There's a girl at university whom I know and last year she had close to 40 sexual partners, mostly one night stands and stuff. She admitted that most of the time it was unprotected, so what happens if she was to get pregnant? Would they have to track down all 40 of them and DNA test the lot of them?

It would be a costly waste of NHS resources.
PLCE
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
The child should have the human right to know who their father is. The social problems that could prevail would be extremely damaging for all parties.
SpiritedAway
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i think it is important that the biological father's name goes on the birth certificate. sure, some fathers may not want to take part in their child's life, but who says that 15 years down the line the child won't want to track their dad down -- even if they have a dad that has been more of a dad. or even those men who would like to be a good dad, but the mothers don't tell them/don't know who is the dad.

so i agree, you don't state the name of the fathen, then you shouldn't get child support. if the mother can't support the kids otherwise, then she should learn to keep her legs crossed
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I agree with the entire article. If anything it isn't harsh enough. If somebody comes in for their 3rd baby and a different fathers name goes down on the birth certificate and they're not working then they should have their tubes tied that instant.
SpiritedAway
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Elipsis)
I agree with the entire article. If anything it isn't harsh enough. If somebody comes in for their 3rd baby and a different fathers name goes down on the birth certificate and they're not working then they should have their tubes tied that instant.
no, i don't agree with this, but i do agree that they need to be more harsh.
i think in this case the woman should be given support until the baby is 2/3 years old, and then forced into work, if she rejects or quits the job in less than a year, then the amount that the state has paid out for her should be paid back by the woman. sort of like a probationary period, and then if she gets pregnant again during this period, then she shouldn't be allowed maternity pay.
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by SpiritedAway)
no, i don't agree with this, but i do agree that they need to be more harsh.
i think in this case the woman should be given support until the baby is 2/3 years old, and then forced into work, if she rejects or quits the job in less than a year, then the amount that the state has paid out for her should be paid back by the woman. sort of like a probationary period, and then if she gets pregnant again during this period, then she shouldn't be allowed maternity pay.
This will only worsen the problem. She'll just keep having a baby just before the time runs out. Not only that but she'll use her children has human shields, "you cant stop my money, what about the children". Nevermind all they get is an iceland ready meal for tea.
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Rinsed)
In my opinion a mother isn't the same as a biological mother.

Therefore for some unexplained reason we should stop mother's names going on the birth certificate? Or is that not what you're implying for fathers?

I think fathers and mothers should be treated equally, and this obviously requires both their names to be on the birth certificate.
But, Mothers and Fathers are not equal.
Howard
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
What if the father is a thoroughly bad egg and both mother and child would be better off with him completely out of their lives?

As soon as the father's name is on that birth certificate he may have to fork out child maintenance each month (if he's actually got a job that is) but it would also help him drag the mother through the courts to insist on all sorts of rights over the child - visitation, holidays, prevention of mother/child moving away from the area, and christ knows what else. So the mother gets some maintenance money but mother and child may get to have their lives ruined for the next 18 years as a result.

I speak from experience here btw.
Annie72
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Elipsis)
This will only worsen the problem. She'll just keep having a baby just before the time runs out. Not only that but she'll use her children has human shields, "you cant stop my money, what about the children". Nevermind all they get is an iceland ready meal for tea.
This situation is in almost epidemic proportions where I live and I do not agree with it.:mad: . Back on topic however, I think a child has the right to know who their father is.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (93)
64.58%
I don't have everything I need (51)
35.42%

Watched Threads