The Student Room Group

Grade 9 Similes, Metaphors, etc....

Hi guys, i really need your help! I am struggling to come up with great language devices for example I want to describe my character but idk how to like is it just 'beautiful like a pearl' or smthing...
If you have any great ones, pleeasseee post
TYSM!
Is this in terms of English language or literature?

For language, I'd recommend researching some unique, original-sounding similes online (emphasis on "sounding" - a simile will never really be unique, truly), creating a list and using them where appropriate in exams. Even just using a simile once (alongside other language techniques) will secure you that mark, so don't worry about using one in every sentence haha.

As for literature, examiners has specifically stated that saying something along the lines of "Dickens employs the adjective "meagre" to suggest that..." is highly disliked - the author did not use that term because it was an adjective, but because of its meaning. Therefore, if the language technique is not relevant to the inference you are making, do not try and merge it into your essay. You can still get a grade 7/8 essay without describing ANY particular technique. For a grade 9, however, it would be better to mention at least 2 or 3 to secure that mark.
Hope this is helpful in some way.
Reply 2
Original post by BibbidyBobbidyBu
Is this in terms of English language or literature?
For language, I'd recommend researching some unique, original-sounding similes online (emphasis on "sounding" - a simile will never really be unique, truly), creating a list and using them where appropriate in exams. Even just using a simile once (alongside other language techniques) will secure you that mark, so don't worry about using one in every sentence haha.
As for literature, examiners has specifically stated that saying something along the lines of "Dickens employs the adjective "meagre" to suggest that..." is highly disliked - the author did not use that term because it was an adjective, but because of its meaning. Therefore, if the language technique is not relevant to the inference you are making, do not try and merge it into your essay. You can still get a grade 7/8 essay without describing ANY particular technique. For a grade 9, however, it would be better to mention at least 2 or 3 to secure that mark.
Hope this is helpful in some way.

Tysm-that was really helpful I appreciate that-I will definitely implement your advice into Eng LIT. However, I was refering to english language in the Creative writing task for Q5 P1-Im sorry I didn't make it clear.
Original post by rani12
Tysm-that was really helpful I appreciate that-I will definitely implement your advice into Eng LIT. However, I was refering to english language in the Creative writing task for Q5 P1-Im sorry I didn't make it clear.

oh ok, in that case you can employ language devices similarly to how you used in your example, but I would suggest only using them when describing more specific details about the character and trying to make it sound natural i.e. "hair like ash" or "the wrinkles on his skin were a labyrinth" - describe particular features as opposed to the wider image (example: general beauty). Again, you can just make a list of prem-made examples on the internet that you like and use them if appropriate in the context of the essay :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by rani12
Hi guys, i really need your help! I am struggling to come up with great language devices for example I want to describe my character but idk how to like is it just 'beautiful like a pearl' or smthing...
If you have any great ones, pleeasseee post
TYSM!

Just describe the literary device used to describe the word/phrase, then describe it's connotations, then explain what these link to/what image they build. E.g.a pearl has connotations of beauty but also value, as pearls are difficult to find, and under the sea or smth like that.
Reply 5
Original post by BibbidyBobbidyBu
oh ok, in that case you can employ language devices similarly to how you used in your example, but I would suggest only using them when describing more specific details about the character and trying to make it sound natural i.e. "hair like ash" or "the wrinkles on his skin were a labyrinth" - describe particular features as opposed to the wider image (example: general beauty). Again, you can just make a list of prem-made examples on the internet that you like and use them if appropriate in the context of the essay :smile:

TYSM! I will be using your feedback🙂
Reply 6
Original post by NotRike
Just describe the literary device used to describe the word/phrase, then describe it's connotations, then explain what these link to/what image they build. E.g.a pearl has connotations of beauty but also value, as pearls are difficult to find, and under the sea or smth like that.

TYSM! That is smart-thanks :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by rani12
TYSM! That is smart-thanks :smile:

No problem, english is largely about (sometimes farfetched) logical links. When you're in the exam, read the text and just try to immerse/imagine yourself in it. Usually works for me.

Quick Reply