The Student Room Group

english lit or lang a level

could somebody help me with which a level is better?

my current a level lineup is:
history, psychology & english lit
but i’m not sure if i want to change it to english lang as i’ve heard it’s much easier in comparison to literature (as grade boundaries are lower & the style of questions are nicer: i heard there’s a question similar to creative writing which is my strength)

the lit & lang my school offers is OCR

i know english literature is a more respected a level (i’d like to do law) but history is an essay based subject so would it matter if i did language IF i did do it to russel group unis??

if somebody who does either lit or lang could lmk how they find the course and recommend one please do!!
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by vivvie

but i’m not sure if i want to change it to english lang as i’ve heard it’s much easier in comparison to literature (as grade boundaries are lower & the style of questions are nicer: i heard there’s a question similar to creative writing which is my strength)

i know english literature is a more respected a level (i’d like to do law) but history is an essay based subject so would it matter if i did language IF i did do it to russel group unis??

if somebody who does either lit or lang could lmk how they find the course and recommend one please do!!

For Law there’s no specific A-level subject requirements AFAIK.

Just do the A-level you think that you’ll enjoy more and get better grades in. So it doesn’t matter if you do Literature or Language.

The concept of “respected” vs “not respected” A-levels has effectively been scrapped from what I’ve heard on TSR. Some universities might have “preferred” A-level subjects (I think that LSE have this from what I’ve heard but I might be wrong) or some A-level subjects/combinations are not accepted by some universities but that’s about it. The idea of facilitating vs soft is gone.
(edited 1 month ago)
Hi so I do English lang/lit alongside history and psychology A-level. Personally I find it great because it’s not as challenging as doing literature on its own and you get to study lots of nonfiction texts too not just fiction.
Original post by vivvie

hello! I have recently just completed A-level English Literature (OCR), History (AQA), and Drama (EDUQAS). I will tell you honestly, OCR is a hard exam board. for an A*, you are looking at 95% overall. HOWEVER (this is down to personal opinion) I found it to be the most amazing, exciting subject. whilst my knowledge of other exam boards is limited, the OCR exam board really encourages interest in contextual understanding and how contemporary affairs shaped works and writers (crucial skills for university, even for Law I can imagine). This is reflected in the amount of texts you need to know - three for paper 1 and (arguably) JUST two for paper 2! However, with half of paper 2 being the analysis of an unseen text, your contextual knowledge has to be ON POINT. If studying a topic of your interest for paper 2, this is a blast! I studied American Literature 1880-1940 and, with The Great Gatsby being a favourite of mine, had a BLAST! there are some other, really really exciting modules here, also (Gothic Literature, Women in Literature, etc.). Ok I'm ranting now sorry. To wrap up, I started off my A-levels two years ago studying English Literature, Religious Studies and Spanish, because that is what my teachers and parents thought were the right choices for me. A-levels are HARD WORK and, whereas you can somewhat sneak through GCSE's with little actual interest, there is nowhere to hide in A-levels. PICK THE SUBJECTS THAT YOU WANT TO DO! For me, that happened to be English Literature, History and Drama. If that happens to be English Language for you, then go for it! What an amazing A-level. A boy in my year received an interview from Cambridge for Law, studying History, English Language and.... Politics? I think? The point is, he didn't have two 'facilitating subjects' and he still made it work! I'm not saying you should want to go for Oxbridge (unless you want to!) rather, if you work hard over these next two years on subjects you love, you will make it work. Another example, one of my best friends studied French, Sociology and Music and is about to start his second year of Law at Leeds University. do what you love, do what is right, you got this :smile:.

Quick Reply