Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yossarian)
    The majority of people who fought in the Russian army were Russians and therefore to call them Russians is not a knock on their character or a suggestion of any political/ideological viewpoint they possessed. In the same way the German army should not be referred to as Nazi's. The political hierachy of Germany were Nazi's and the leader of Russia were Communists. Whether the public supported them is open to debate.

Churchill also made a pact with Roosevelt. (Or the devil as you may like to call him if we extend your logic)

As for American involvement in D-Day - This I cannot and would not deny. But the whole situation was aided, if not created, by Red Army strength in the East which had, consequently, crippled the Wehrmacht when Hitler launched Operation Barbarossa. Hitler had his troops fighting a war on two front when there existed no evidence to suggest that Stalin wished to be aggressive towards Germany (see the Nazi-Soviet Pact)

Hitler made a grave tactical error and embroiled Russia in a war they sought to avoid. But I agree that US forces were crucial - however, they were less important than the Russians
    Roosevelt with the devil? My logic is sound actually because Churchill was specifically talking about Communist Russia when making the devil speech? Red Army involvement was a key part, don't get me wrong, but American entrace made sure that the Nazis could not sustain or conquer more territory.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Woodsy)
    Oh, forget to mention - I don't particularly get Canada - I mean, has Canada ever done anything? You never hear about Canada getting involved in world affairs, it has 30 million people and Australia only 19 million but you sort of hear about them. I really don't get Canada - not that I don't like Canadians
    Theyre cool (have lots of canadian friends) they speak like americans, spell like us, are politically neutral, its cities are amazing, snow and sun, although french canadians in quebec seem scary.. French- take it personally

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by m66)
    Theyre cool (have lots of canadian friends) they speak like americans, spell like us, are politically neutral, its cities are amazing, snow and sun, although french canadians in quebec seem scary.. French- take it personally
    Canadas gr8

imagin america, but better and less crime, guns etc etc

I want to live there when im older

ReputationRep:
    Roosevelt with the devil? My logic is sound actually because Churchill was specifically talking about Communist Russia when making the devil speech? Red Army involvement was a key part, don't get me wrong, but American entrace made sure that the Nazis could not sustain or conquer more territory.
    There wasn't much more territory to control. If you look at Britain - operation sealion had been shelved and Hitler thought that Britain would surrender when the Russians were defeated. Britain would, he thought, be left in Europe without a single ally. But Russia did not surrender. Again US involvement was important though. It emphasised to Hitler that Britain was stronger then he had anticipated she would be. But, and crucially, had Russia capitualted (like France) the war would have been over before the US had the decency to open their eyes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BhArJ)
    Canadas gr8

imagin america, but better and less crime, guns etc etc

I want to live there when im older
    I have to say canadas a great place, esp. 4 safety and the canadians are very friendly and their cities like toronto are clean, unlike ours.. i have to say i love america the country too, its so exciting!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by m66)
    I have to say canadas a great place, esp. 4 safety and the canadians are very friendly and their cities like toronto are clean, unlike ours.. i have to say i love america the country too, its so exciting!!!
    Also, loads of them speak a pretty cool language i.e. French without being French. Best of both worlds

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yossarian)
    You are wrong. In 1918 and then to a greater extent following the German invasion conscription was introduced. 15-20 million were drafted in WWII alone. Were all these Soviets/Communist? Could they all possibly be Soviets? I would think not.
    You're getting into a semantic argument. Whether or not they believed in the Soviet cause is beside the point, their country of residence was the Soviet Union, and they were fighting for the Soviet Army. At the time of World War II, Russia didn't exist. If a country doesn't exist, they can't have an army, now can they?

As for Soviet involvement - as you say a significant proportion of Russian casualties were due to poor practices and a willingness to simply throw bodies at bullets. But it did work.
    Well, a lot of your argument that the Soviets were the real heroes of World War II relies on the high body count. Of course, loads of those Soviet soldiers deaths were from officers throwing unequipped soldiers into battle, because they worried more about losing equipment than losing men.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychic_satori)
    You're getting into a semantic argument. Whether or not they believed in the Soviet cause is beside the point, their country of residence was the Soviet Union, and they were fighting for the Soviet Army. At the time of World War II, Russia didn't exist. If a country doesn't exist, they can't have an army, now can they? .
    Interesting you say this when you are the one complaining about whether the word Russian or Soviet is used. Yes, the Soviet Union did include Ukraine and Belarous but it was fundamentaly still dominated by Russia and Russians. But I do acknowledge your point. In actual fact, if we are going to be completely pedantic, it was the 'Red Army' which would suggest it was formed with a Communist ideology and backbone. That this was not, in reality, the case is unambiguous.

Well, a lot of your argument that the Soviets were the real heroes of World War II relies on the high body count. Of course, loads of those Soviet soldiers deaths were from officers throwing unequipped soldiers into battle, because they worried more about losing equipment than losing men.
    My argument is based partially on body count - it is estimated over 25millions Soviets were killed. But, as I have said, it did work. Germany did not conquer Russia and the allied powers were victorious. Sacrifices were made for a greater good.

ReputationRep:
    no...but i do dislike the obsession some have with asking all the time

ReputationRep:
    Oh, forget to mention - I don't particularly get Canada - I mean, has Canada ever done anything? You never hear about Canada getting involved in world affairs, it has 30 million people and Australia only 19 million but you sort of hear about them. I really don't get Canada - not that I don't like Canadians

That is by far the most ignorant comment ive heard today. Do us all a favour and pic up a non american news paper.

Are military is currently involved in Haiti, Afganistan, Sir lanca, and Bosnia. 1% of our GDP goes to foreign aid.

So little people know of my country. I had one loser who called me a stick person and others laugh when i said "about."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by canuck)
    That is by far the most ignorant comment ive heard today. Do us all a favour and pic up a non american news paper.

Are military is currently involved in Haiti, Afganistan, Sir lanca, and Bosnia. 1% of our GDP goes to foreign aid.

So little people know of my country. I had one loser who called me a stick person and others laugh when i said "about."
    Actually, I think American newspapers give Canada more attention than newspapers from other countries.

ReputationRep:
    Actually, I think American newspapers give Canada more attention than newspapers from other countries.

Well, the telegraph and daily mail have a bit of attention towards Canada, but of course, we are overshadowed by our neighbour to the south.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I LOVE CANADA!!!!

i learnt the national anthem about 3 years ago all three verses.
    sadly i havent had the chance to go..
    BUT when i went on a school trip to Switzerland, we drove through France on the way back, and visited Vimy, a WW2 memorial in France which was given to Canada in memory of the battle there. SO... technically, I HAVE been to canada... in a way..

Some Canadian stuff I have:
    a 5'x 3' flag (hanging on the window of the 6th form common room )
    a nice maple red hoody
    a canada poster with the national anthem in english and french
    a maple leaf beanie
    about ten canada t-shirts, the type tourists buy
    canadian badges/buttons/pins
    a tub of maple syrup
    a moose (one of those little toys from mcdonalds)
    5c canadian money
    a book about canadian jokes
    er, my computer background is a maple leaf
    i'll put up more when i can think of the rest.

Hell, i even bought walking boots just because they had little maple leaves on the tongue THEY'RE CANADIAN!!!

One thing I don't have which I would love is one of the oars the Canadians use to row - with little maple leaves on the blades so cute! i would row with them all the way to canada....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sleepyeba)
    Hey, I LOVE CANADA!!!!

BUT when i went on a school trip to Switzerland, we drove through France on the way back, and visited Vimy, a WW2 memorial in France which was given to Canada in memory of the battle there. SO... technically, I HAVE been to canada... in a way..

a nice maple red hoody
    a maple leaf beanie
    a tub of maple syrup
    5c canadian money

Hell, i even bought walking boots just because they had little maple leaves on the tongue THEY'RE CANADIAN!!!

One thing I don't have which I would love is one of the oars the Canadians use to row - with little maple leaves on the blades so cute! i would row with them all the way to canada....
    Wow, that's impressive! Maybe you could become the British embassador to Canada!

ReputationRep:
    Got no reason to hate you...yet lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sleepyeba)
    Hey, I LOVE CANADA!!!!

a nice maple red hoody
    a maple leaf beanie
    a tub of maple syrup
    5c canadian money

Your more Canadian than i am. lol, i have the old Canadian flag in my bedroom now. I have a really small maple leaf flag too. A little embarrasing

Has anyone seen Canadian Bacon with John Candy and directed by Micheal Moore?

Oo ya, that Vimy ridge site is a WW1 memorial, built in the 20's. My great grandfather died there. He was just one of the many British Immigrants who went overseas to fight for King and Empire.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by m66)
    Why do so many people call French Canadians French? You don't call English-speaking Canadians, English or Scottish now do you?

French Canada is what makes Canada exciting. It's one of the origins of today's Canada in addition to Loyalist Ontario: at the end of the American Revolutionary War, the English colonials who didn't want to fight with the English republicans emigrated to Ontario with the Mohawk tribes and the first emancipated slaves of North America.

I haven't found a North American city yet that's more exciting than Montreal...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamTheMan)
    Why do so many people call French Canadians French? You don't call English-speaking Canadians, English or Scottish now do you?

French Canada is what makes Canada exciting. It's one of the origins of today's Canada in addition to Loyalist Ontario: at the end of the American Revolutionary War, the English colonials who didn't want to fight with the English republicans emigrated to Ontario with the Mohawk tribes and the first emancipated slaves of North America.

I haven't found a North American city yet that's more exciting than Montreal...
    I like Montreal, and I'll agree that it's an exciting city. But, it's also a bit scary, because organized crime has a very strong presence in the city, which you don't really find in many other N.A. cities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by canuck)
    Your more Canadian than i am. lol, i have the old Canadian flag in my bedroom now. I have a really small maple leaf flag too. A little embarrasing

Has anyone seen Canadian Bacon with John Candy and directed by Micheal Moore?

Oo ya, that Vimy ridge site is a WW1 memorial, built in the 20's. My great grandfather died there. He was just one of the many British Immigrants who went overseas to fight for King and Empire.
    You're more than a Canadian. If you have the old Canadian flag, you're like a Canadian Loyalist that they had back in the 18th and 19th century when they created Ontario, with the Mohawks and the first emancipated slaves.
    Canada is more advanced in terms of human rights and democracy than the US is. This is due to the fact that Canadians preferred to maintain links with the UK than self-flagellating opportunistic puritans who stayed in the US, hitting themselves every time they had a naughty thought and counting their pennies.

Canada has brought us (Canuck please tell me if I get some of these wrong):
    Pamela Anderson
    Mike Myers
    John Candy
    Lacrosse
    Basketball (a Canadian created the sport when working at a US uni)
    Smoked Meat
    Bagels
    Poutine
    Maple Syrup
    Leonard Cohen
    Barenaked Ladies (sadly)
    Rufus Wainwright
    Tragically Hip
    Nickleback (sadly)
    Avril Lavigne (sadly)
    Celine Dion (sadly)
    A Simple Plan (sadly)
    Atom Egoyan

To the person who mentioned us hearing more of Australia than Canada, that's the most stupid comment I've heard recently. Have you ever thought why? Australia is populated by a vast majority of people from the British Isles. The country is still very close to the UK.
    Canada has never been able to as close to the UK. French Canada would refuse that. Plus there's US influence that basically hinders strong relationships between Canada and the UK. The same is slowly happening with Australia. Australians talk about emancipating themselves by moving away from the UK but if you actually look at their culture and mentality, they're slowly moving towards the US.

ReputationRep:
    I like Montreal, and I'll agree that it's an exciting city. But, it's also a bit scary, because organized crime has a very strong presence in the city, which you don't really find in many other N.A. cities.
    You're right about it being dangerous but what's scary is more the fact that a lot of what's going on is fully visible: Drug traficking, shootings (when I was there, a nutter was walking down Ste Catherine's shooting his gun in the air. Luckily I was nowhere near when that happened).
    Montreal is very exciting for its music and artistic scene. Many people have compared to the excitement around San Francisco in the 70s. The best thing about the city is that it's a well kept secret. People here have already heard the name "Montreal" once or twice but they haven't got a clue about it. But every Brit I've known who's gone has just loved it.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 27, 2005
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.