1: Do you Hate us?
hmm no
SamTheMan
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Some other great Canadian actors:

Eugene Levy (he's huge in Canada: Jim's dad in American Pie...)
Martin Short
Donald Sutherland (you can't forget him! He did a series of Barclays adverts with Gary Oldman too)
Kiefer Sutherland, son of the former, born in London. Now famous thanks to 24.
psychic_satori
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by SamTheMan)
Some other great Canadian actors:

Eugene Levy (he's huge in Canada: Jim's dad in American Pie...)
Martin Short
Donald Sutherland (you can't forget him! He did a series of Barclays adverts with Gary Oldman too)
Kiefer Sutherland, son of the former, born in London. Now famous thanks to 24.
Many of them are dual citizens, though. You can't really call someone solely Canadian, if he has multiple passports. Kiefer Sutherland was actually born in London (and not the one in Ontario).
canuck
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by kieshaxxx)
Their Hot Chocolate's rank though!

Ya I havent had that yet.

Their ice capuccinos are pretty good. Did you try the timbits while you were over?
canuck
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Don't worry. The UK have considered joining NAFTA too. It's quite a stupid idea since there would be no true economic benefits but Condoleeza Rice has already said that the US would be likely to accept the UK joining if it wanted to. Most of the people who are pro-NAFTA are just Europhobes who still think that Europe is full of Nazis and extreme-right thinkers. They do have a point a bit: a country doesn't change its culture in just a couple of decades. You have to be careful about unions like this...
OO, i never meant withn 20 years or something. I considered this a major possibility within 50-100 years.

As for the UK joining NAFTA, it seems more of a dream. It would be as unrealistic as Australia joining the EU.
SamTheMan
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by canuck)
OO, i never meant withn 20 years or something. I considered this a major possibility within 50-100 years.

As for the UK joining NAFTA, it seems more of a dream. It would be as unrealistic as Australia joining the EU.
It's not that unrealistic in my opinion but probably not the way forward. People in the UK are very cautious about the EU, whether they be Europhiles or Europhobes. There's the historical context: being dragged into two world wars because of European countries messing around explains certain points of view. The UK might be a European country geographically but despite being European, the UK's cultural neighbours aren't in Europe at all. The UK feels much more close to countries like New Zealand, Australia, Canada and the US than France or Spain. The UK is cautious about European countries but few British people actually dislike a particular country (although France would be a bit of an exception). For a lot of ignorant British people, Europeans are just all "bloody foreigners", whether they be Spanish, Czech or Danish. Anti-European sentiment comes mostly from ignorance and wariness about Europe. However, in so many European countries, there's a true anti-British sentiment. Having travelled and lived in several European countries, it's incredible how people perceive Britain. A lot of people in certain countries are brought up to believe that Britain is the most evil country ever. Some people even think that Britain was the worst colonial power, being the most horrible with slaves (the fact that Britain was first to abolish slavery is forgotten), that mine workers were treated worse than in any other country (the fact that trade unions and workers' rights were born in the UK is forgotten...). In this kind of context, it's very hard to explain to people that the UK isn't and never was the horrible country they're brought up to believe.

Apart from maybe a few Scandinavian and Eastern European countries, the UK has no true allies in Europe.
If the UK ended up leaving the EU, joining the NAFTA has been considered as a true alternative. But only a series of strange events and circumstances could lead to that. As I said previously, Condoleeza Rice has already said that the UK would be welcome.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/m...equestid=62920
The guy who wrote the article is clearly a staunch right-wing conservative who is excessively Europhobe but he makes a few good points.
Semanort
Badges: 0
Report 14 years ago
If the UK ended up leaving the EU, joining the NAFTA has been considered as a true alternative. But only a series of strange events and circumstances could lead to that. As I said previously, Condoleeza Rice has already said that the UK would be welcome.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/m...equestid=62920
The guy who wrote the article is clearly a staunch right-wing conservative who is excessively Europhobe but he makes a few good points.
But how can the UK join NAFTA, if it is the North American Free Trade Agreement? would it be called smth else if the UK joined, b/c it doesn't make sense to me how a european country can join a north american free trade agreement... maybe i've missed smth but can someone explain that to me?
SamTheMan
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Another interesting article on NAFTA and the UK
http://www.expat.telegraph.co.uk/new...lternative.xml

How would Nafta view the UK's membership?

Support amongst the right wing in the United States, the power behind Nafta, is strong. For example, Condoleeza Rice, President Bush's foreign policy adviser, told the Telegraph in July 1999: "Were the British to come and say with a unified voice, 'We'd like to join Nafta,' I don't think there would be any objection."

Senator Phil Gramm, ranking member and former chairman of the senate banking committee, is a also keen advocate of British membership of Nafta. He is part of a Republican group, which includes Henry Kissinger, calling for closer ties with the UK. Some Democrats also support British entry to Nafta.
SamTheMan
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Semanort)
But how can the UK join NAFTA, if it is the North American Free Trade Agreement? would it be called smth else if the UK joined, b/c it doesn't make sense to me how a european country can join a north american free trade agreement... maybe i've missed smth but can someone explain that to me?
The UK would join because of its relatively strong cultural ties with the USA and Canada.
It's not very publicised but there are many organisations developed around the anglo-saxon culture shared by these countries.
Echelon which is a network which shares intelligence between Australia, NZ, UK, USA and Canada is the most famous.

You could look at Turkey. It only has a small territory inside Europe and historically, that territory is Greek. The matter of Turkey joining the EU isn't really about it belonging to Europe. It's not an Arab country so it doesn't have strong ties with Middle Eastern countries. It's muslim but it's a very liberal form of Islam and it's pro-US... The EU is it's best chance to establish ties with other countries.
Semanort
Report 14 years ago
The UK would join because of its relatively strong cultural ties with the USA and Canada.
It's not very publicised but there are many organisations developed around the anglo-saxon culture shared by these countries.
Echelon which is a network which shares intelligence between Australia, NZ, UK, USA and Canada is the most famous.

You could look at Turkey. It only has a small territory inside Europe and historically, that territory is Greek. The matter of Turkey joining the EU isn't really about it belonging to Europe. It's not an Arab country so it doesn't have strong ties with Middle Eastern countries. It's muslim but it's a very liberal form of Islam and it's pro-US... The EU is it's best chance to establish ties with other countries.
But Turkey is physically in Europe, at least partially... but the UK joining just seemed illogical to me from a geographical perspective, I can't say it wouldn't make sense economically... I'm just picking at things too much I guess. thanks for the explanation
SamTheMan
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Semanort)
But Turkey is physically in Europe, at least partially... but the UK joining just seemed illogical to me from a geographical perspective, I can't say it wouldn't make sense economically... I'm just picking at things too much I guess. thanks for the explanation
The Canary Islands are in Africa, Guyane is in South America, Guadeloupe is in Central America. Yet they're part of the EU. Despite the countries they depend on being in Europe, it's just as strange.
chocmonster
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
no, i dont hate americans (they are generally pretty nice people) although i must say the ones who voted george bush back in may have some serious intelligence issues...
canuck
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
The Canary Islands are in Africa, Guyane is in South America, Guadeloupe is in Central America. Yet they're part of the EU. Despite the countries they depend on being in Europe, it's just as strange.
Well, French Guaina is still part of France (french colony) and the Canary Islands are part of Spain. Imagine if Greenland joined NAFTA, lol
naivesincerity
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Yossarian)
America didn't save our assess. The Russians did.
Its Arses in Britain,not Asses!!! The Russians did save our arses, ironically, because they were just as anti-semitic as Germany...The USA played some part, but i reckon if you look at the books(and i'm sticking my neck out here) thats because they only came in against Germany after the Japanese bombed pearl harbour, and the Germans and Japanese were Allies...they are not exactly going to lie down and take that!!, so you could argue if it wasnt for pearl harbour, and Japan going crazy trying to take over Asia, and more, then the USA wouldnt have given a toss for "saving" us....+ I hate Starbucks and Macdonalds soooo much...and i hate their sports......and i hate Bush...and Condoleeza Rice...and their politicians trying to tell everybody to emulate them in a patronising way......
But i liked Clinton and Bruce Springsteen.......and the films of Martin Scorcese......
and Robert De Niro.......errrr .................bye
someone036
Report 14 years ago
Yankees is actually something that means northerners. If anything, it's the southerners that you should hate; they're the ones who voted for Bush (but don't assume ALL southerners voted for Bush)
jessica_h
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I'm american and I really hate all american politicans at the mo.. at least I have a british passport too so I can pretend I'm not american!
Zurich
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
No.

I lived in America for a year, and the average yank is a wonderful person. Actually a lot nicer than most of the scum inhabiting English cities.
naivesincerity
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Zurich)
No.

I lived in America for a year, and the average yank is a wonderful person. Actually a lot nicer than most of the scum inhabiting English cities.
I think thats a silly generalisation...theres a big wealth divide in America, and a lot of diversity, idon't think there is an "average" american...there will be tossers and ok people anywhere,the differences are cultural
Zurich
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by naivesincerity)
I think thats a silly generalisation...theres a big wealth divide in America, and a lot of diversity, idon't think there is an "average" american...there will be tossers and ok people anywhere, the differences are cultural
Very true. I suppose what I mean is the people where I was (Iowa State University, Ames) were wonderful. It wasn't so much the average person either, as pretty much everyone I met was geniunely nice.

I also found the typical stereotypes entirely vacant. There really were no stupid or obese people. The general atmosphere was a lot of people from a lot of backgrounds just living like sensible adults, which is something you'll rarely find in British universities. Also, the streets are a hell of a lot safer than pretty much everywhere in England.
Kew
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Zurich)
No.

There really is no need to be racist...
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (144)
60.25%
No I haven't decided yet (54)
22.59%
Yes but I might change my mind (41)
17.15%

Watched Threads