unlimited. Anybody care to affirm my belief in the IB? It seems
    like its hell for the sake of putting teens through hell and
    depriving them of their social lives.

Cam (New to the newsgroup)

I am wondering the same thing. I am in grade 10 right now and have to
    decide whether or not I am going to take IB. Can you guys post your
    opinons on the advantages/disadvantages and if it is overall worth it? I
    wouldn't mind finishing my first year university in highschool if it
    sacrifices a little bit of my social life.

Damon

"Bitrock" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected] ews3.rdc1.on.home.com>...
    [q1]> Hi , I'm in IB2 up here in Canada and I don't know one person who[/q1]
    [q1]> actually likes[/q1]
    [q1]> it. The benefits seem minimal and the extra work is practically[/q1]
    [q1]> unlimited. Anybody care to affirm my belief in the IB? It seems[/q1]
    [q1]> like its hell for the sake of putting teens through hell and[/q1]
    [q1]> depriving them of their social lives.[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> Cam (New to the newsgroup)[/q1]

bah!, My newsreader has been lying to me (temporary ISP) so I havent
    been seeing any messages for the past 2 weeks until I got onto google.

Yes, I like IB but i am too tired to say why exactly right now, do a
    google search and you should get a indication of why.

"Hang Hang Zhang" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    [q1]> bah!, My newsreader has been lying to me (temporary ISP) so I havent[/q1]
    [q1]> been seeing any messages for the past 2 weeks until I got onto google.[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> Yes, I like IB but i am too tired to say why exactly right now, do a[/q1]
    [q1]> google search and you should get a indication of why.[/q1]

I kinda like IB, too. I like the challenge, I like the other students, I
    like the college credit it will earn me. Yeah, it's an assload of work.
    But most days, I can deal with that and still manage to have a happy
    life. Of course, it's only five months until I see the light at the end
    of the tunnel and finish my exams. That's what keeps me going: the
    countdown.

Katie

One thing I don't like hearing said about IB is that it deprives people of their social lives. It
    does not. At least, not for me and the rest of my friends. We hang out daily and do stuff, but we
    usually are home at like 6 or 7 so we can start homework, and we all are in the top ten people in
    our class (one is valedictorian). All you don't want to do is procrastinate on stuff too much. I
    do, but I don't too much. Get your stuff done on time, and the stress won't be too unbarable. And
    keep motivated (this was a problem for me not too long ago). It's worth it overall. I'm in 11th
    grade, so I cannot speak from experience, but I have countless senior friends and now-college
    friends that have benefited very nicely from IB. Not necessarily for credit reasons(one actually
    had to release all of his to get to the college he wanted), but it also prepares you for that kind
    of setting and that kind of workload. College tests, I've heard, can be monsters. I.E. a physics
    test that covered 8 chapters. Though we keep them to the 1-2 chapter limit, the workload can equal
    it out. As for that Canadian person, he probably only asked his friends if they liked it, people
    who normally share the same mindset, and think just like him. I am sure that not 100% of people in
    IB dislike it, or there wouldn't be IB, would there? I won't dare say that I haven't said I hate
    IB. I have, usually in stressful times like now. I have the Group 4 to get started on, and my
    Spanish Oral, and I have a history outline to finish(that's many hours of work alone). What I would
    give as a guideline for staying with or not staying with IB is this: If you found freshmen or
    sophomore year (pre-IB) hard, and were getting poor grades or were overstressed, I would consider
    dropping it, because Junior year is notorious. But me, I found sophomore year the easiest of all,
    and freshmen easy too, so I stayed with it. Doing so has brought me to number 9 in my class (519
    people,128 IB). And I would say this: if I were not in IB, I would not be making the grades I make
    or have the motivation I do. Normal classes are just too....easy. I have friends in non-IB classes
    that haven't had homework for weeks. Dont even bring books home or have a backpack. While the
    typical IB'er has and hour to 2 hours a night, and has pretty heavy backpacks. But I don't let it
    sway me because of what the difference will be with my and their future. Anyways, I get quite bored
    at their rate of progression. I remember middle school, not gifted classes, booooooooring, not
    straight A's like now. Satisfactory reply?

bret _.-._

----- Original Message ----- From: "Damon Ramsey" <[email protected]> Newsgroups:
    alt.education.ib Sent: Saturday, December 15, 2001 7:31 PM Subject: Re: Does anybody actually like
    the infernal IB?

[q1]> I am wondering the same thing. I am in grade 10 right now and have to decide whether or not I am[/q1]
    [q1]> going to take IB. Can you guys post your opinons on the advantages/disadvantages and if it is[/q1]
    [q1]> overall worth it? I wouldn't mind finishing my first year university in highschool if it[/q1]
    [q1]> sacrifices a little bit of my social life.[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> Damon[/q1]

Hi,

I currently go to college with people who all went to normal schools and did their standard national
    education system and I cannot say that I am in anyway smarter or more advantaged than them. The IB
    is useful mainly for students living abroad where the national education system is conducted in a
    language that you cannot speak. Similarily, students that move around a lot may appreciate the IB in
    that it allows you to continue despite moving country.

As far as IB students turining out somehow more advantaged and smarter, that's really a load of
    fiction in my opinion. Almost all education systems are the same kettle of fish, it's really up to
    the person themselves if they want to do well, not the education system they take part in...

Thanks, Bryan

Thanks for all the in-depth replies everyone. I'm 95% sure I'm going to take IB now.

Damon,
    Glad you decided to take IB.
    It is a workload, but it provides a challange.
    Anyways, just wanted to get my 2 cents in,

Sweet

ReputationRep:
    IB sounds a good choice, but im the uk

I'll add my good old english pence

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.