This discussion is closed.
AllergicToFairydust
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Have you ever gone througth a period in your life when you just think Why am I bothering? What is the point? and you get with depressed without having a reason to be. However, you don't feel like "ending it" but you don't see any reason to go on etc etc.

If so, how on earth do you get rid of it?
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
You have to discover whats at the route of the problem and change that, if you don't you can never get rid of it. Of course with some people depression is caused by a hormonal inbalance and not much can change that other than drugs.

If it persists you should see a doctor.
mc_watson87
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by a_musical_gal)
Have you ever gone througth a period in your life when you just think Why am I bothering? What is the point? and you get with depressed without having a reason to be. However, you don't feel like "ending it" but you don't see any reason to go on etc etc.

I do some exercise.
Harv616
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
lol yeah im there

i just dont see the point in doing anything anymore, im never really going to achive anything
Muse
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

are you not looking forward to going to university then?
F1 fanatic
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

Come on It cant be that bad. Try and think of all the wonderful things you have. Think of all the mates you have and how lucky you are to live the life you lead. You'll feel better soon.

Think positive!
Muse
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
Of course with some people depression is caused by a hormonal inbalance and not much can change that other than drugs.
ah but is it the depression that causes the hormonal imbalance or the imbalance that causes the depression?
Davie_Moyes
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Tiredness probably causes it.
Mean Mr. Mustard
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
nope, not me, never...I'm extremely happy at the moment!

*is aware of the uselessness of this post*
need_money
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Yes, many times. I try not to think about things too much when i get like that and just go out and have fun with my mates to take my mind of things. Once i'm cheered up a bit i realise that life is worth sticking around for.
DaveManUK
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
yeh i get this feeling most of the time...
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by timeofyourlife)
ah but is it the depression that causes the hormonal imbalance or the imbalance that causes the depression?
Good question, I know times when things are quite good I can get depressed, I can get depressed over very silly things like a canceled night out or if a day at university didn't go well.

I find lately though I don't get as depressed, maybe its because I am getting older.

My dad used to suffer very badly with depression, this was mainly caused because he resented the management at work because none of them knew what they were doing and my dad was managerial grade anyway but was treated like a slave, it really got to him, he ended up throwing a £25k job out the window because his depression got so bad.

Now works for himself he has been a lot happier (most of the time).

In musicgirls case though its not quite so easy to change things and not knowing any of the person details its very difficult to know what to suggest.

Also the word depression gets missed used a lot, people tend to say they're depressed when actually they are just feeling down for a few hours. I had depression once in 1997 and believe me its a very very horrible experience, I felt a bit like what Musicgirl described, I didn't want to kill myself and had to intention of doing so, but everytime I would walk past a bridge the though crossed my mind.

Musicgirl it does get better and you can escape it, I think environmetnal factors got rid of mine, i.e leaving school.
danmint
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Ok, don't mean to offend anyone here but i've heard depression stories about a million times, here's your solution. Even though i dont do psychology it's very basic. You start off mildly depressed, the more you think about it however the worse it gets, this goes into a vicious cycle. Your solution? Do something you enjoy doing, something that will NOT remind you of your depression (e.g. poetry). If you don't see a point in living then you have no life goals, which is pretty ironic for someone that is a student. My advice is to hope for the best and remember, there is always someone worse off than you.
ProvenAngel
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Whenever i feel down, i put on music, turn it right up and think of all the good things in life, and wot i can try and do to change the bad.

Life can throw a challenge or two at times, it's just knowing how to approach them.

Chin up!
Muse
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
maybe The Smiths isn't the best band to be listening to, AT Girlfriend in a coma is enough to make most people feel down!
Davie_Moyes
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Could just go out and get steaming.
F1 fanatic
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Davie_Moyes)
Could just go out and get steaming.
Is alcohol not a depressent?? :rolleyes:
Davie_Moyes
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Or you could end up really drunk, happy and with a bird ;-)
F1 fanatic
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Davie_Moyes)
Or you could end up really drunk, happy and with a bird ;-)
Is this not a girl we are talking about? Im confused :confused:
Mad Vlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Yes. Go to a therapist or a counsellor. I'm seeing one at the minute and its helping to some degree...
Give it a go, see whether it works for you
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (95)
24.42%
No (294)
75.58%

Watched Threads