The Student Room Group

Conversions

I don't understand people who want to convert religions....
1. I'd feel that the religion I was born with is part of my heritage and my family tradition and it is disrespectful to turn your back on your heritage
2. By changing religions you're saying one religion is "better" than another... seems a bit dodgy to me.
3. Aren't all religions essentially the same? As long as you do good, and are grateful to God and pray in your way you'll go to paradise. doesnt matter what religion is. so what's the point of conversion?
Reply 1
Religion is all about a system of belief, and if cease to believe in something, for whatever reason, and begin to believe something else, surely that's a just cause for changing religion.
Reply 2
There was a program on c4 about 2 english girls who were attending mosque and knew the prayers in arabic. it was certainly unusual to watch
Reply 3
theone
Religion is all about a system of belief, and if cease to believe in something, for whatever reason, and begin to believe something else, surely that's a just cause for changing religion.

but if religions are all so similar, what possible reason could there be to change? cease to believe in what?
Reply 4
Unregistered
There was a program on c4 about 2 english girls who were attending mosque and knew the prayers in arabic. it was certainly unusual to watch

Programme. It's spelt, programme.
Reply 5
The important parts of the major sensible religions are the same. When I say important parts I mean the values and morals they teach. The differences are in the origins and also acts of worship. And of course different religions have different numbers of deities etc.
I for one have rejected my former Muslim-ness due to having lost faith in a divine being. The change allowed me to eventually realise my own self-worth, and I ain't looking back!
Reply 6

Conversions? Is that not what you do after you have scored a try?
Reply 7
Unregistered
but if religions are all so similar, what possible reason could there be to change? cease to believe in what?

Religion's all differ in some way or form, despite certain similarities, as such if people feel that they do not believe in one religion for whatever reason, they still have an obligation to change, since religion is all about belief. Why carry on with a religion you don't believe in?
Reply 8
Atheism is the only righteous religion :wink:

Anything else is kiddology or endoctrination.
Reply 9
Ralfskini
Atheism is the only righteous religion :wink:

Anything else is kiddology or endoctrination.

:biggrin: my opinion
So is anybody prepared to challenge my view?

Latest

Trending

Trending