Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Well, the British also have to realise Canada, New Zealand, and Australia all have consititutional monarchies that have Queen Elizabeth as head of state, When she dies, most people in these 3 countries dont favour charles, but William. I hope she could live forever, then you wouldnt have these dicks crying to abolish the momarchy over here. They are already making plans for it when she dies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    Breaking news:

Prince Charles is to wed Camilla Parker-Bowles. Not date yet announced but it's expected to be on 6th April! :eek:

Reactions?
    I´m not British so I´m not sure if I have a say on this. But I´m quite shocked, actually. :eek:
    I hope Wills will be the next King.

ReputationRep:
    What if Wills doesn't want to be the next king?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trousers)
    Then we get Harry!!!!

ReputationRep:

He will, who wouldnt want to be king these days.

ReputationRep:

I guess Harry will take his place then.

ReputationRep:
    I only mention it because I thought it was common knowledge that neither William nor Harry want to be king...

They are (allegedly) both still really bitter about what royal life did to their mum and blame the monarchy for the fact that she was never happy (allegedly). Thus, they don't want to do it. They're also (allegedly) not happy with the fact that they have to marry good Christian girls - the first in line to the throne, and therefore the future head of the Church of England, isn't allowed to marry a Muslim, Hindu, etc... or even a Catholic, I think (but don't quote me on that).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by canuck)
    He will, who wouldnt want to be king these days.
    What do you mean by 'these days'? It's possibly the worst time to be a monarch - public opinion is against them in about half the country, they get followed around by papparazzi all the time, they have less influence than they've ever had over the ruling of the nation... Yes, they get a lot of money out of it, but Wills would still have more than enough if he gave up the throne - aside from coming from a very rich family, I believe his mother left him about £8 million.

ReputationRep:
    I only mention it because I thought it was common knowledge that neither William nor Harry want to be king...

They are (allegedly) both still really bitter about what royal life did to their mum and blame the monarchy for the fact that she was never happy (allegedly). Thus, they don't want to do it. They're also (allegedly) not happy with the fact that they have to marry good Christian girls - the first in line to the throne, and therefore the future head of the Church of England, isn't allowed to marry a Muslim, Hindu, etc... or even a Catholic, I think (but don't quote me on that).
    I have to say that I've not heard any of that at all. Considering that they bitter they participate in all their royal duties still says a lot to me. I dont think the royal family acted any differently to Princess Diana in any abhorent manner considering the circumstances.

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean by 'these days'? It's possibly the worst time to be a monarch - public opinion is against them in about half the country, they get followed around by papparazzi all the time, they have less influence than they've ever had over the ruling of the nation... Yes, they get a lot of money out of it, but Wills would still have more than enough if he gave up the throne - aside from coming from a very rich family, I believe his mother left him about £8 million.
    William has a $35 million trust fund. Harry has $40 million trust fund.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frost105)
    I have to say that I've not heard any of that at all. Considering that they bitter they participate in all their royal duties still says a lot to me. I dont think the royal family acted any differently to Princess Diana in any abhorent manner considering the circumstances.
    I don't think so either, but her sons are bound to think differently. When someone dies young, the people closest to the deceased almost always look for someone or something to blame.

Perhaps they participate in royal duties out of loyalty to their father, or fear of their grandmother... who knows?

ReputationRep:
    Why would Harry get more than William?

Either way, they're pretty well set up if they do decide that kingship isn't for them. Not that we have to be concerned about it for a while yet, as it looks like Charlie has still got his place waiting for him.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think so either, but her sons are bound to think differently. When someone dies young, the people closest to the deceased almost always look for someone or something to blame.

Perhaps they participate in royal duties out of loyalty to their father, or fear of their grandmother... who knows?
    They have a very good relationship with their mother. thay have no-one to blame for their mothers crash except the driver of the car, their relationship with their father is supposed ot be very strong.

ReputationRep:
    Why would Harry get more than William?

Either way, they're pretty well set up if they do decide that kingship isn't for them. Not that we have to be concerned about it for a while yet, as it looks like Charlie has still got his place waiting for him.
    Its tradition to set up the younger with more money has the eldest will inherit the lands and houses.

ReputationRep:
    Its tradition to set up the younger with more money has the eldest will inherit the lands and houses.
    Ah, are you talking about a trust fund that comes from the royal family? Surely they would lose that if they gave up the throne?

ReputationRep:
    Ah, are you talking about a trust fund that comes from the royal family? Surely they would lose that if they gave up the throne?
    No, the royal family personally are very rich in their own right. the money comes from god parents, the windsors and the spencer family.

ReputationRep:
    They have a very good relationship with their mother. thay have no-one to blame for their mothers crash except the driver of the car,
    Quite right - that's how I feel too, I'm just saying that the boys themselves probably don't feel that way.

their relationship with their father is supposed ot be very strong.
    I don't know how close they are to their dad, but I imagine they're close enough to want to keep him happy and keep up appearances. It might be different if they had to make a definite decision right now, but as it is they're probably happy to plod along as they are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by canuck)
    Well, the British also have to realise Canada, New Zealand, and Australia all have consititutional monarchies that have Queen Elizabeth as head of state, When she dies, most people in these 3 countries dont favour charles, but William.
    I think the whole point of a monarchy is that you don't get a choice.

ReputationRep:
    Why have you used dollars?

ReputationRep:
    If Wills did become king, I think he would be quite unlike any other we've had yet. He seems like a nice down-to-earth guy, and quite sensible. A bit of an anomaly really.
    He probably is one of the reasons that the monarchy isn't completely out of favour.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 10, 2005
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.