Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    text messages are stupid.
    who agrees

ReputationRep:
    It depends on the purpose, if you just want to send a short message or instruction to someone without chatting to them its ok, otherwise it can be annoying. Why dont you like them? Plus its cheaper then a phone call.

ReputationRep:
    They're stupid when you sit there for an hour texting eachother constantly. It'd make more sense to ring then.

But for quick messages when you don't want a long conversation, they're useful.

ReputationRep:
    cos they're inferiour to talking on the phone in every possible way.
    there is no confirmation the message is read, so can be miisleading as well.
    also generally never work in clubs, tunnels, my house!

ReputationRep:
    I have a bit of a fear of phones so I like texting

ReputationRep:
    There's no confirmation of receipt with emails or letters, but you don't seem to be knocking them.

If I just want to tell my friend about something silly that made me laugh, I'll text him or her, not ring.

ReputationRep:
    ABSOLUTELY. it is so sucky

i didnt learn how to do predictve text until about a month ago (admitedly, it is quite clever, until you need to write the time, or think you are on predictive but actually are on normal, and write "gda thdiehre eag".

email is superior to texting anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1w)
    cos they're inferiour to talking on the phone in every possible way.
    there is no confirmation the message is read, so can be miisleading as well.
    also generally never work in clubs, tunnels, my house!
    Thats a good point, on so many occasions i have missed important texts when out and about because my phone isnt that loud so i never hear when it when i get a text, although overall they are still beneficial.

ReputationRep:
    If you need a reply, or even just to know that someone's got the message, then use the phone.

If not, just text.

Simple.

ReputationRep:
    Im sure everyon'e gone through the thing with first girlfriend, and you text them and they leave their phone off, or something and you think "maybe she doesnt like me" and get all paranoid and **** just over a tiny message. or maybe just me.. It's stupid!!

not worth the hassle!!!

ReputationRep:
    texting is good lots of people cant use a phonebut can text

ReputationRep:
    i disagree with that. neither of my parents even know what a text message is, but they know how to use a phone (usually when i am in a talk or library)

ReputationRep:
    lol, i think i'm the odd one out - i absolutely LOVE txt messaging - lol - in fact I hardly ever call. Mainly because I'm in India and all my friends relatives and even my fiance are in different parts of the world - txt messaging just works out cheaper and more beneficial. I love it. and i never use predictive txt - i can't stand it! my parents find it easy to communicate with me via txt messaging when I'm in India as it is much cheaper and because I have my UK sim card over here they can txt me for the same price as it would cost if i was in the UK. Also you can set your fone on delivery reports so you know when the person you are txting has got ur message. I'm a txting freak! lol

ReputationRep:
    Cannot agree at all. I love texting people it's so quick and easy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lynseyweth)
    Cannot agree at all. I love texting people it's so quick and easy.
    :dito:

ReputationRep:
    surely phoning someone and speaking is easier and faster than typing a message into a number pad and sending that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1w)
    surely phoning someone and speaking is easier and faster than typing a message into a number pad and sending that?
    but if you're some place really noisy it's better to send a text message...
    that's about the only time I use them actually, when I need to find my friends in a large crowd...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1w)
    text messages are stupid.
    who agrees
    Oi! I am outraged 'que' is my word. Prepare to,to ,to....nah

ReputationRep:
    hmmm i agree for some things; its better to call, but for SHORT MESSAGES, texts are the shiznit!

ReputationRep:
    Considering I get free offpeak minutes I really should phone rather than text, but especially for international friends I text far too much.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.