This discussion is closed.
Kate101
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Hey People

I'm thinking of cycling alot around the uni campus and surrounding area. How many other people plan on taking their bicycles to uni? Just curious!
sleepyeba
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
ME ME! me me me me!
I love cycling, when its not raining and i can be bothered, I cycle the 9 mi to rowing every week, and when i dont have many books, to school.
It is actually quicker to cycle than drive the 3 miles to my school (20 mins cycling - uphill most of the way, and 20-30 morning rush hour driving if the traffic lights are being mean)

Though i may just buy a bike when i get there - too much hassle bring it to and from london when you have to ship all the rest of your stuff around too. Plus my current bike is a rather bulky y-frame hybrid.
sleepyeba
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Oh, and talking of cycling in London, are you planning on buying one of those scary looking anti-pollutoin masks?
They look quite expensive, some of them don't even last longer than 6 weeks (disposable i suppose), and i've read quite a lot of articles that say some of them are ineffective at the proper dirty pollutants.

A bit scared of drivers in London too... Leeds is bad enough (esp. taxi drivers who turn in front of you and tickle you with their wing mirrors) but having sat in coaches/buses through central london, i'm a bit wary of having to ease through a sea of irate commuters.
Ariel4
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by sleepyeba)
Oh, and talking of cycling in London, are you planning on buying one of those scary looking anti-pollutoin masks?
They look quite expensive, some of them don't even last longer than 6 weeks (disposable i suppose), and i've read quite a lot of articles that say some of them are ineffective at the proper dirty pollutants.

A bit scared of drivers in London too... Leeds is bad enough (esp. taxi drivers who turn in front of you and tickle you with their wing mirrors) but having sat in coaches/buses through central london, i'm a bit wary of having to ease through a sea of irate commuters.
but you get to laugh at them all being irate! theyll be stuck in traffic and you wont be!
pghstochaj
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I cycle to uni every day - about 2 miles, so 10 minutes. Hundreds do - there's lots of bike racks at UMIST and even secure places with swipe cards but I don't use that as it's annoyingly positioned.

Buy a good lock if you don't have one (pref have a shackle with barrel lock and a chain lock with standard key, barrels can be picked in seconds with a bic pen in some instances, most thiefs wouldn't carry bolt cutters aswell as a tool for a shackle). Buy a good set of lights (LED for rear, I made my own rechargable set for the front, 15w and 5w halogen lights with 2.2amphr SLA battery - important for the winter when you leave lectures later on). Buy a good helmet, well, in Manchester I am scared to be without to be honest, may look uncool but I have already had two near misses in 6 months and the helmet would have helped). Make sure you either take some spares with you or find a local bike shop. Most important; 5mm allen key, 2 x brake, 2 x gear cables, adjustable spanner (unless you want to take a few spanners) I have a leatherman, assuming you don't, a few screw drivers (one phillps, one flathead) and anything I have forgotten including puncture repair kit.

Fit mudguards front and back, don't buy one for the rear which attaches to your seat, they tend to be useless, buy an old fashioned set. Otherwise you will get to uni drenched and covered in mud, sadly I pass a building site into uni and got covered in crap every day for months, my bike is still brown

If you have the money, buy semi-slick/slick tyres med-high pressure tyres - meant for commuting, it means you save a lot of time and effort.

Be prepared to go on the bus if you have to sometimes, on average I probably do 1-2 times a fortnight (max) when it's simply too horrible to even consider it due to rain.

I know it sounds like a lot to think about but honestly it's worth it to save the bus costs plus it's also quicker (mates leave at 8:25am, I leave at 8:45 or so, I get back say at 5:15, them at 5:40).

hope that helps?
sleepyeba
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Thanks pghstochaj for the info!

Well Ariel, they do happen to have a powerful metal box to bash amused cyclists with... :eek:

:driver: + :bike: = :motz: + :stickyman
pghstochaj
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Welcome I miss my car to be honest but for the journey I do to uni, a bike is 10x better. Also free parking everywhere.

For anybody's interest, I use these slick tyres, 1.5" wide, £23/pair inc. 1.5" inner tubes:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/v2_product_d...dID=5300003751

They are excellent for the road, useless of it though of course but, well, it depends what you want them for.

Any other questions ask, i don't know a lot about bikes but I do now about cycling (if that makes sense) and what you should want to know for uni.

f--- motorists, if they want to be stupid they deserve your looks, your abuse and your 1cm distance from their wing mirrors. Being a driver for 18 months before getting back on my bike I know both points of view and know the best thing possible is for both parties to give as much room as possible. Just be reasonable, apologise if you do something wrong and make sure that they know when they have done something wrong
Clodagh
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
It looks quite dangerous in Oxford...bus drivers have no regard for cyclists, they drive *so* close to them, and drive up right behind them etc etc. It looks lethal....last year a cycling student got killed by said rogue buses up on Cowley Road!
pghstochaj
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
It's not easy at all.....
Clodagh
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I mostly walk to the English faculy which is about 10mins....I would be easier with a bike but its too much hassle!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (55)
67.9%
No I haven't decided yet (17)
20.99%
Yes but I might change my mind (9)
11.11%

Watched Threads