Are men and women really as equal as society likes to think? Watch

This discussion is closed.
shootingstar
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Are men and women really as equal as people like to say they are?

I know legally, they should be. But look at abuse and harassment, and the views taken when we come to that subject.

It is always unacceptable for a man to hit a woman, and if it's observed, people tend to step in. However, if someone sees a woman hit a man, its rare for people to step in.

There still seems to be a view that if a man gets abused by a female, he's weak.

What do you think? Do we still have a long way to go before we get to equal rights? Or are women now more equal than men?
sleepyeba
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Quote:
There still seems to be a view that if a man gets abused by a female, he's weak.

This happens a lot to me when I'm playing footy with guys I don't know well, it really annoys me. Whenever I win the ball off a guy, the ones who jeer to that effect I make a mental note to target next, whether or not they are on my team.

One thing i don't understand is women who push for equal rights in relationships etc, (e.g. moaning about how men can play around and are called players, but women who do the same are sluts) and then five minutes later will be arguing that all proper girls shop for shoes and use make up and shouldn't do sports or activity other than gym/aerobics.

I'm a girl and I hate makeup, to the extent i have never never worn it, and shopping for clothes: stand me in Miss Selfirdges for longer than 3 minutes and I will set fire to the nearest frill, and my whole wardobe is trousers and t shirts.

Sometimes i think inequality is brought on by women and their views of how women "should be" just as much as men.
Sam2k
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by shootingstar)
No, not even close.
djchak
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Here's another question to add:

Do men and women really want to be, in every single way, as equal as society wants them to be?

And it's too hard to answer this, as each individual woman is different.

Also, the radicalization of feminism played a certain part in the "backlash" against it.
renarr
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by sleepyeba)

One thing i don't understand is women who push for equal rights in relationships etc, (e.g. moaning about how men can play around and are called players, but women who do the same are sluts) and then five minutes later will be arguing that all proper girls shop for shoes and use make up and shouldn't do sports or activity other than gym/aerobics.

I'm a girl and I hate makeup, to the extent i have never never worn it, and shopping for clothes: stand me in Miss Selfirdges for longer than 3 minutes and I will set fire to the nearest frill, and my whole wardobe is trousers and t shirts.

Sometimes i think inequality is brought on by women and their views of how women "should be" just as much as men.

Does this mean that all feminists have to renounce make-up, and not shop for the rest of their lives??? :eek:

just because girls like shoes, make-up or fashion, doesn't mean that they're doing it to attract men. Most women dress to please themselves first before anything else. IF women are really going to push for equal rights, they should start by respecting themselves...and we all do it in different ways, be it in sports or by other means.
sleepyeba
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by LadyNamibia)
Does this mean that all feminists have to renounce make-up, and not shop for the rest of their lives??? :eek:

just because girls like shoes, make-up or fashion, doesn't mean that they're doing it to attract men. Most women dress to please themselves first before anything else. IF women are really going to push for equal rights, they should start by respecting themselves...and we all do it in different ways, be it in sports or by other means.
Point taken. My disintrest in make up is mostly attributed to laziness
Weejimmie
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by djchak)

And it's too hard to answer this, as each individual woman is different.
Do you suppose each individual man isn't different?

Also the radicalization of feminism played a certain part in the "backlash" against it.
It was the radicalism that meant feminism achieved what it did achieve- most importantly the recognition that people have rights as individuals, not as men or women.
yawn
Badges: 13
Report 14 years ago
Men and women can never be equal whilst they are different biologically.

Women have inherent skills that men can never hope to have.

Men have greater muscle strength although not neccessarily greater endurance.

Long may the difference reign! I enjoy my femininity and use it to get what I need from a man.
Angel_Cake
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by yawn)
Men and women can never be equal whilst they are different biologically.

Women have inherent skills that men can never hope to have.

Men have greater muscle strength although not neccessarily greater endurance.

Long may the difference reign! I enjoy my femininity and use it to get what I need from a man.
Hear hear! I think women and men are as equal as they need to be - it's quite rare to hear of sexual discrimination cases these days, we've come on a long way from times when a young married woman wouldn't get a job in case she got pregnant soon! It's good to have some differences, strengths and weaknesses etc., otherwise it would get pretty boring!
NTG_
Report 14 years ago

I know legally, they should be. But look at abuse and harassment, and the views taken when we come to that subject.

It is always unacceptable for a man to hit a woman, and if it's observed, people tend to step in. However, if someone sees a woman hit a man, its rare for people to step in.

What do you think? Do we still have a long way to go before we get to equal rights? Or are women now more equal than men?
Women are indeed now quite possibly more equal than men. Some companies are indeed hiring employees via a quota-based system (new staff must include X women, and Y minority groups) which is as bad as "traditional" sexism, IMO.
Lil' Miss Smiley
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I believe there ever can be an equality between men and women. I wouldn't want there to be either. I am the first to admit there are just somethings that a man can do better than I ever could. By the same token women are better at somethings that men are not, there again it all depends on the individual. So shall it be for eternity.
sleepyeba
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by lessthanthree)
I have no patience for those who think it's sexism when a man opens a door for them.
i've never seen a woman open a door for a man :confused:
does anyone else find that men in london open doors more often than in the north?
Lil' Miss Smiley
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by sleepyeba)
i've never seen a woman open a door for a man :confused:
does anyone else find that men in london open doors more often than in the north?
Oh yes I have noticed that. 'Tis true.
spin
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

I don't think you can get "more equal" :p:

Personally I think that things are pretty good on the equality front..

Opening doors for people shouldn't be down to their sex anyway.. I'd hold a door open for a man or a woman! I might go out of my way to do it more for an elderly man/woman or someone carrying a lot or a pregnant woman.. but it's not a decision I'd make based on gender.

*grin* most of the men I know quite enjoy it when I hit them.. They're not troubled by it anyway.. I think they find it amusing.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (69)
23.71%
No (222)
76.29%

Watched Threads