The Student Room Group

RVC or Bristol?

I had an interview at liv yesterday and it dawned on me that we dont have that long till we have to chose our first and second choices. Ive got offers from bristol and RVC and really cant chose between them! Which one do you think is better. It would be great fun living in london n its only an hour away from my house but bristol is a really nice area 2! HELP!! Bristol's vet school is mixed in with other ppl in the first 2 years but u r in the centre of london with RVC so will get to meet a lot of different ppl there 2! The cost work out about the same because of travelling costs. Any advice please!
Reply 1
Bristol!!! But plz ignore me I just love Bristol soo much! (and my interview came in 2day)...

But there's reasons for goin to Bristol as it would be ALOT cheaper than RVC and its a very nice city as well. granted, it not as big as london, but then again u get less pollution and crime etc.

btw: U said u have lectures with 'other ppl', is that medics??
kat_r
I had an interview at liv yesterday and it dawned on me that we dont have that long till we have to chose our first and second choices. Ive got offers from bristol and RVC and really cant chose between them! Which one do you think is better. It would be great fun living in london n its only an hour away from my house but bristol is a really nice area 2! HELP!! Bristol's vet school is mixed in with other ppl in the first 2 years but u r in the centre of london with RVC so will get to meet a lot of different ppl there 2! The cost work out about the same because of travelling costs. Any advice please!

hey kat. OMG, I know just how u feel, im going thru the same decision with liverpool and RVC!!! Its driving me insane as well!! :eek: :eek: :rolleyes:

least we have a choice tho :smile:

Before i got rejected from bristol (which was aaaaaaages ago), loadsa ppl said RVC because not many ppl see the bristol lot as a 'friendly' bunch. Dont know how true this is, but having seen RVC at interview, i wud defo pick RVC anyway. *plz try not to take offense u bristol lot!* :p:

Btw Kat, how did liverpool go??

laura x x
Reply 3
I definitly would choose RVC over Bristol, RVC just seemed alot more friendly. I think out of all of the Vet Schools RVC has the best facilities, especially since they just got some new grant of £4 million over the next five years :smile:
Although having said that I'm still unsure as whether to choose Glasgow or RVC, they too were very friendly and its alot closer to home.
I'm just going to wait until all decisions are in and then decide, too busy with school work atm.
Reply 4
Definately RVC - it rocks!!!

Although you are one of the selected few who managed to be accepted to Bristol, so you must be pretty good!!

I know u take bristol and give me ur rvc offer Deal??? hee hee :rolleyes:

Well good luck deciding, you'll choose the right one!! :smile:
Reply 5
ProvenAngel
hey kat. OMG, I know just how u feel, im going thru the same decision with liverpool and RVC!!! Its driving me insane as well!! :eek: :eek: :rolleyes:

least we have a choice tho :smile:

Before i got rejected from bristol (which was aaaaaaages ago), loadsa ppl said RVC because not many ppl see the bristol lot as a 'friendly' bunch. Dont know how true this is, but having seen RVC at interview, i wud defo pick RVC anyway. *plz try not to take offense u bristol lot!* :p:

Btw Kat, how did liverpool go??

laura x x

Liverpool went well, dont no if it will b good enough to get an offer tho! My interviewers were really nice and we had an easier essay question than every1 else seemed to have had. Ours was basically about our opions on animal testing.
Reply 6
RVC definitely!! (although personally the dick vet is the best but thats not under discussion here!) I had interviews and offers from both RVC and Bristol - i loved the atmosphere when i went to the RVC but Bristol were just so hostile and unfriendly. Before i went for my interview i so thought bristol was going to be my first choice but i just hated it when i went there. Plus the degree that you qualify with from RVC is better than bristol as you get a BVetmed instead of a BVSc. The Bvetmed allows you to practice in the US if you want.
I had a friend who went to bristol who said that although he enjoyed his time there if he had had the choice he would not choose to go there again.
Ultimately though it is down to your gut feelings when you went on interview there - i knew from my interviews and stuff where i wanted to be although i was very torn between the RVC and the RDVC but in the end i chose the RDVC as i didnt want to live in london - i so feel that i made the right choice.
Just remember that you have to spend at least the next six years of your life wherever you choose and i found that one of the most useful ways to make up my mind was to talk to current vet students and also vets who had qualifed in the last year or so from the unis of interest. Dont be afraid to ask questions as it is the only way to find out.
Good luck and if you want to ask me any more questions etc feel free to post them in here or PM me.
Last year I had interviews for both RVC and Bristol within one day of each other. Before going to those interviews I had it in my head that I'd much rather go to Bristol than RVC, well I soon changed my mind after the interview. I didn't like the atmosphere, I didn't like the two men who interviewed me, it was all about technical questions, they might as well have given me a written exam to do instead of an interview and they were really patronising. Bristol would also have been pretty difficult for me to get to - multiple trains or a long car journey. The vet school just didn't seem very friendly.
RVC on the other hand, really surprised me, the atmosphere seemed much nicer, however for the first few years you're in Camden (not exactly the nicest part of London). I also didn't want to be that close to home. I had lovely interviewers there too, made me feel at such ease. There is also the issue of how many students they are taking in now - 200 isn't it? Almost double the no. that the other vet schools take in. There are good and bad points to that. The vet school in Potters Bar is stunning though.
I think you have to think about how you felt after your interviews. I found that a really good guide. (I actually enjoyed my Glasgow interview, they made me laugh and it was all about getting to know me as a person - hence that had a big influence on my decision to come here).
Your best bet is to see if you can chat to students at both - they will be biased towards 'their' vet school but it would give you a better idea what your life would be like at both.
kat_r
Liverpool went well, dont no if it will b good enough to get an offer tho! My interviewers were really nice and we had an easier essay question than every1 else seemed to have had. Ours was basically about our opions on animal testing.

Well done! Im sure u did well, oooo, and just think, no more interviews!! :wink: Such a fab feeling!

Neways, glad it went well, i'll keep my fingers crossed for u :biggrin: Where does liverpool come in ur order of preferences if u get an offer? Good luck with the RVC v Bristol dilemma! :eek:
Reply 9
SlipperyWhenWet
Last year I had interviews for both RVC and Bristol within one day of each other. Before going to those interviews I had it in my head that I'd much rather go to Bristol than RVC, well I soon changed my mind after the interview. I didn't like the atmosphere, I didn't like the two men who interviewed me, it was all about technical questions, they might as well have given me a written exam to do instead of an interview and they were really patronising. Bristol would also have been pretty difficult for me to get to - multiple trains or a long car journey. The vet school just didn't seem very friendly.
RVC on the other hand, really surprised me, the atmosphere seemed much nicer, however for the first few years you're in Camden (not exactly the nicest part of London). I also didn't want to be that close to home. I had lovely interviewers there too, made me feel at such ease. There is also the issue of how many students they are taking in now - 200 isn't it? Almost double the no. that the other vet schools take in. There are good and bad points to that. The vet school in Potters Bar is stunning though.
I think you have to think about how you felt after your interviews. I found that a really good guide. (I actually enjoyed my Glasgow interview, they made me laugh and it was all about getting to know me as a person - hence that had a big influence on my decision to come here).
Your best bet is to see if you can chat to students at both - they will be biased towards 'their' vet school but it would give you a better idea what your life would be like at both.

I totally agree with what you have said there - i think i was trying to say exactly that but in a rather waffly kind of way! :biggrin:
Loads of people i have spoken to have said that they found bristol to be very overbearing and patronising - me included. It was almost as though they didnt want you to go there - yet they gave me an offer!
AEISH! My god! is Bristol really that bad- its my only offer for vet med and I was looking forward to going but now I'm a bit put off! Is it really that awful or does it just happen that you guys have had bad experiences????!!!

Please help! I'm worried now!!!! :confused: :frown:
Reply 11
GoldenBumblebee
AEISH! My god! is Bristol really that bad- its my only offer for vet med and I was looking forward to going but now I'm a bit put off! Is it really that awful or does it just happen that you guys have had bad experiences????!!!

Please help! I'm worried now!!!! :confused: :frown:

Don't worry, I know 2 people who are in bristol doing vetmed, and they are REALLY nice, and they think their vet school rocks!!!

Loadsa ppl got rejected from bristol this year- so big up urself for getting an offer!!!!

At the end of the day, you've got a wicked offer and dont let anyone else put u off- ur gona be a vet - WHOOP (yes i do realise grades have got be got!!)

Latest