Help with "plummy" accent !!! Watch

This discussion is closed.
dogtanian
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I don't think you can really learn it. I've got quite a Surrey voice, but I slip into Sahf London without realising all the time..
roff
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by bellacoco)
I certainly mean to offend anyone with my comment. I find it interesting simply because I love to here anyone from the britain speak - quite lovely!
Yes, The Britain is just spiffing
j4mes_bond25
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
(Original post by wiwarin_mir)
Apparently, according to my girlfriend at least, I have much the same speech pattern as hugh grant.
In that case, I would say, why don't you use your knowledge of having such a wonderful accent in TRAINING some non-posh accent speaker like me & few around like me, after all, having such an accent will SURELY suit on "James Bond", u c
roff
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Hayley...)
I don't think you can really learn it. I've got quite a Surrey voice, but I slip into Sahf London without realising all the time..

:eek: How can you do that?

j4ames why don't you download videos off the Internet of people from Surrey speaking and practice? "A..B...C...D..goat..dog.... "
j4mes_bond25
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hayley...)
I quite like accent of your region, AT LEAST, way better than Midlands.
roff
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by j4mes_bond25)
I quite like accent of your region, AT LEAST, way better than Midlands.
I cannot stand the accents of the Midlands, only London and Home Counties accents are tolerable
j4mes_bond25
Rep:
?
(Original post by ramroff)

j4ames why don't you download videos off the Internet of people from Surrey speaking and practice? "A..B...C...D..goat..dog.... "
I thought of doing so once, but it seems not quite easy as it sounds, as I tried it myself using Bristol accent (the only clip I managed to download off the Internet) but then again, elocution would teach me MORE than such audio clips, I reckon.
j4mes_bond25
Rep:
?
I cannot stand the accents of the Midlands, only London and Home Counties accents are tolerable
It's not too hard to get as in Northern Scottish accent, but I suppose it's NOWHERE near to the posh accent, I fancy having.
roff
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I thought of doing so once, but it seems not quite easy as it sounds, as I tried it myself using Bristol accent (the only clip I managed to download off the Internet) but then again, elocution would teach me MORE than such audio clips, I reckon.

OK what accent have you got now, and where will you be going for uni? If you're going near London you're bound to find elocution/accent coaches
dogtanian
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Haha, well, at school I'm fairly well spoken usually, but at home (with my West London born and bred parents) and at work (with my South London dwelling friends), I start sounding like a market trader.
dogtanian
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I thought of doing so once, but it seems not quite easy as it sounds, as I tried it myself using Bristol accent (the only clip I managed to download off the Internet)
A Life Of Grime led to me speaking like a farmer for two days.

j4mes_bond25
Rep:
?
OK what accent have you got now, and where will you be going for uni? If you're going near London you're bound to find elocution/accent coaches
I have rather pathetic Midland accent (just as you would agree with me & am ALREADY in Leicester's DMU university waiting to get my graduation within next 3 months (as this is my last year now).

I'm quite willing to travel as far as London, as well (in fact ANY distance, I would say), as far as I'm guranteed to get what I fancy.

Anyone in London doing/teaching accent training for "plummy" accent to your knowledge, then ???
roff
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I have rather pathetic Midland accent (just as you would agree with me & am ALREADY in Leicester's DMU university waiting to get my graduation within next 3 months (as this is my last year now).

I'm quite willing to travel as far as London, as well (in fact ANY distance, I would say), as far as I'm guranteed to get what I fancy.

Anyone in London doing/teaching accent training for "plummy" accent to your knowledge, then ???
Are you looking for the proper RP accent or a general Estuary accent?
M-J
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
define plummy?!?!
roff
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by M-J)
define plummy?!?!
Sounds like a girl speaking whilst teabagging
grace
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Sounds like a girl speaking whilst teabagging
i would have thought it quite difficult to speak whilst teabagging.
j4mes_bond25
Rep:
?
Are you looking for the proper RP accent or a general Estuary accent?
I guess, RP accent is to do with BBC accent or Queens English while Estuary accent sounds more closer to the "plummy" accent as of Hugh Grant, as far as I'm aware.

IF there's NO chance whatsoever for having Estuary accent then I'm quite willing to compromise & learn RP accent, instead (afterall, it's a compromise that moves us along, as "Maroon 5" once said
roff
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by grace)
i would have thought it quite difficult to speak whilst teabagging.
You can murmur
M-J
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
okay, going to obviously show my inexperience.....teabagging?!?
roff
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I guess, RP accent is to do with BBC accent or Queens English while Estuary accent sounds more closer to the "plummy" accent as of Hugh Grant, as far as I'm aware.

IF there's NO chance whatsoever for having Estuary accent then I'm quite willing to compromise & learn RP accent, instead (afterall, it's a compromise that moves us along, as "Maroon 5" once said
Won't you feel a bit fake though i.e. not letting yourself speak naturally but havin it put on etc
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (68)
23.45%
No (222)
76.55%

Watched Threads