The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I have the form for this, was speaking to a youth worker at college and they suggested it!

I was going to apply anyway, but it's good to hear it recommended by someone- I don't know if they'd consider me to qualify though, because my parents aren't on benefits, but I figure I'll try.

My boyfriend is applying though, and pretty sure he'll get onto it- how much choice do you get in what you want to do at the place you are sent?
Reply 21
Hi, sorry i havnt replied, i completely forgot about this thread, so ill reply to you all now!

Butterfly Icing
thanks sooooo much, just looked at this thread by chance!!!!!
I've been looking for something like this for about a year!!!!!!!!
could you explain what it means by 'who wouldn’t otherwise be able to afford to volunteer in a developing country' because, although I can't, I might be able to if I started working for 6 months (or so) - after school of course!
Could you also tell me, if money hadn't been a problem, would you have wanted to/think it would be better to volunteer with another gap year provider such as 'real gap' or 'bunac'?

Thanks so much!!!!!:woo:

Hi, I am not form a disadvantaged background really, i got 20 quid ema at school, as my parents are retired, but other than that Im not particularly disadvantaged. If your a student im sure you would get in. They are undersubscribed at the moment, as the publicity isnt that good like i said before, so there is a big chance you'll get in. Try!
Money wasnt a problem for me if im honest, i could have gone with bunac, but as this was free, i thought it'd be better to spend the money on something else (im about to go backpacking for 6 months). But im sure this is just as good as anything bunac could, its run by the government, and is just as reputable as bunac or real gap, posibly more becuase it has to be really as it is the government and not a private company.

Toasted marshmellows
hmm definitely interesting! thank-you, not sure if i will stand a chance tho as not sure i can really class myself as someone who 'would otherwise be unable to volunteer in a developing country' or from a 'less advantaged background'..so may not eligible...

Like i said above, id give it a try anyway, i wouldnt class myself as those either, there are a lot of free spaces that need to be filled!

collegedropout
Sounds great! What is daily life like - ie - accomodation, food & drink etc?

For me, in India, the accomodation was good, a big house with a tv and internet, although in other countries there were homestays, which also sounded nice, I have met people who went to South Africa and Ghana too, so I know about those countries as well as India.
Food was indian food, rice, dahl, naan etc. it was pretty nice, got a bit boring but they tried as hard as they could and it was different every day (apart form a pretty standard lunch). I really liked it, but it depends what you like I guess. You can learn some good recipes too when your there.
Drink is just water really, although you can go into town and buy practically everyhting you could buy in a town in Enlgand. The water is cleaned so no worries about that. Also there are no mosquitos at all which was good. The house was in an amazing location, with beautiful views. You work 6 days a week, form 9 til usually about 3, but the work is easy and they give you lots of 'relax time'. You get two weekends free to travel, and yiou can travel most sundays. Work on saturday is just a meeting, so not really work. Theres loads of stuff to do, paragliding, zorbing, hiking....loads!

Roxy2
I have the form for this, was speaking to a youth worker at college and they suggested it!

I was going to apply anyway, but it's good to hear it recommended by someone- I don't know if they'd consider me to qualify though, because my parents aren't on benefits, but I figure I'll try.

My boyfriend is applying though, and pretty sure he'll get onto it- how much choice do you get in what you want to do at the place you are sent?

You should still apply!
I was sent to my first choice country, but some people who went with me had put down other choices, they were all really glad they had been sent to india in the end though, tbh whereever you go you'll enjoy it, both south africa and ghana sounded good, and theres also peru, which looks really good.
If you tell me what kind of place you'd like i can prob help you with where would be best for you to go?

Hope that helps, any more questions just ask!
Reply 22
and again, sorry for the late replies!
I'm really interested in this and I think I might apply. At the moment I'm thinking about South Africa mostly, but maybe Ghana or Peru? Have you information about these places? Thanks :smile: x
Ooh thats strange, about a week ago i got an email about this from a volunteer centre thing! :smile:
Reply 25
Peru looked nice, apparently they were all learning the language, didnt meet anyone from there though
I met the guys from south africa and ghana, if you want i could maybe put you i touch with them
i think in ghana you stay in a home stay for one of the projects (there are two there), i south africa your in a house on a nature reserve, both ghana and south africa seemed to be a little more dangerous due to wildlife, so if yoiu wanna travel lots then id say go to india
obviously i think indias the best cos thats where i went
everyone who i spoke to sed they'd had an amazing time, i dont think it matters where you get sent to be honest, the experiences we had seemd pretty similar
!Katy
Peru looked nice, apparently they were all learning the language, didnt meet anyone from there though
I met the guys from south africa and ghana, if you want i could maybe put you i touch with them
i think in ghana you stay in a home stay for one of the projects (there are two there), i south africa your in a house on a nature reserve, both ghana and south africa seemed to be a little more dangerous due to wildlife, so if yoiu wanna travel lots then id say go to india
obviously i think indias the best cos thats where i went
everyone who i spoke to sed they'd had an amazing time, i dont think it matters where you get sent to be honest, the experiences we had seemd pretty similar

yeah any info i could get would be great so if you put me in touch , thanks :smile:!
Reply 27
This sounds quality, going to look into it, thanks for sharing.

What kind of people did you give as references? Do you ask for it not to be relations etc.?
This sounds amazing!

Latest