Everybody failed! Watch

This discussion is closed.
Ray Pang
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Today's Differentiation exam was a disaster for everybody who I've spoken to (bar one), and it had
me totally bemused too.

What are the typical actions taken after nearly everybody fails? About half of the room (100 people)
left after about 70 mins.

So what I want to know really is how likely is it that the lecturer will not just say "serves you
all right for not doing the work" which isn't true, and decide to bump all the marks up?

In contrast, the Vector analysis paper was a dream. 80%+.
Pete Bartlett
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
"Ray Pang" <[email protected]> wrote in message

[q1]> Today's Differentiation exam was a disaster for everybody who I've spoken[/q1]
to
[q1]> (bar one), and it had me totally bemused too.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> What are the typical actions taken after nearly everybody fails? About[/q1]
half
[q1]> of the room (100 people) left after about 70 mins.[/q1]

70 exam minutes is probably long enough to say everything there is to be said about differentiation
isn't it? What beasties did they throw in?

[q1]> So what I want to know really is how likely is it that the lecturer will[/q1]
not
[q1]> just say "serves you all right for not doing the work" which isn't true,[/q1]
and
[q1]> decide to bump all the marks up?[/q1]

Stranger things have happened. There were plenty of examples of people at my Uni who got more marks
than were available in total for the questions they answered (and no they weren't over-exaggerating
the poorness of their exam, it happened to me twice).

[q1]> In contrast, the Vector analysis paper was a dream. 80%+.[/q1]

80% wow. That would get you top first in Cambridge.
Ray Pang
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
"Pete Bartlett" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
[q1]> "Ray Pang" <[email protected]> wrote in message[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q2]> > Today's Differentiation exam was a disaster for everybody who I've[/q2]
spoken
[q1]> to[/q1]
[q2]> > (bar one), and it had me totally bemused too.[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> > What are the typical actions taken after nearly everybody fails? About[/q2]
[q1]> half[/q1]
[q2]> > of the room (100 people) left after about 70 mins.[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> 70 exam minutes is probably long enough to say everything there is to be said about[/q1]
[q1]> differentiation isn't it? What beasties did they throw in?[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q2]> > So what I want to know really is how likely is it that the lecturer will[/q2]
[q1]> not[/q1]
[q2]> > just say "serves you all right for not doing the work" which isn't true,[/q2]
[q1]> and[/q1]
[q2]> > decide to bump all the marks up?[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Stranger things have happened. There were plenty of examples of people at[/q1]
my
[q1]> Uni who got more marks than were available in total for the questions they answered (and no they[/q1]
[q1]> weren't over-exaggerating the poorness of their[/q1]
exam,
[q1]> it happened to me twice).[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q2]> > In contrast, the Vector analysis paper was a dream. 80%+.[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> 80% wow. That would get you top first in Cambridge.[/q1]

If I had remembered Stokes' Theorem I would've got near 100%. But it is a fairly easy course, and
the paper was quite similar to most of the example sheet questions, which I did in term 1 and all of
yesterday.

BTW Another problem with the differentiation course was that it had changed lots since the previous
year, and the past papers were not very relevant. A different lecturer too, who has a very different
style of question. I think I got about 30% on it.
Ray Pang
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
[q1]>[/q1]
[q2]> > Today's Differentiation exam was a disaster for everybody who I've[/q2]
spoken
[q1]> to[/q1]
[q2]> > (bar one), and it had me totally bemused too.[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> > What are the typical actions taken after nearly everybody fails? About[/q2]
[q1]> half[/q1]
[q2]> > of the room (100 people) left after about 70 mins.[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> 70 exam minutes is probably long enough to say everything there is to be said about[/q1]
[q1]> differentiation isn't it? What beasties did they throw in?[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]

Well there was a question on norms and linear maps, and boundedness/continuity and the operator
norm. I did OK on that, and it's fair to say I should've done better.

The second question was bizarre. It asked for the Chain Rule, and then asked you to prove two direct
consequences of the chain rule, which were just one step - from the chain rule to the answer. I
don't know what they were after. It also asked about derivatives of maps and directional
derivatives, which was fairly easy I thought, until it asked what the matrix for (d_x0)f was, which
i thought was what (d_x0)f actually was. I amended my answer to fit n with the context, saying
(d_x0)f was the map.

Sequential compactness and contractions was the third question, and then there was a hideous
question of integrating over "suitable arcs" to get f to be a contraction on a nbhd of something or
other. 4 and 5 were about the Inverse and Implicit Function Theorems and submanifolds. I only got
the definitions, as I just couldn't fathom the ideas behind them during the course. Maybe I
should've asked my supervisor, but I've never needed to, and I just assumed if I put my mind to it
I'd understand it. How wrong I was.

Oh well, live and learn. I shall know my fate in a few weeks.
Pete Bartlett
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
"Ray Pang" <[email protected]> wrote in message

[q1]> Well there was a question on norms and linear maps, and boundedness/continuity and the operator[/q1]
[q1]> norm. I did OK on that, and it's fair to say I should've done better.[/q1]

Ah, ok I understand now. Seems like you call a lot of Analysis differentiation.

[q1]> The second question was bizarre. It asked for the Chain Rule, and then[/q1]
asked
[q1]> you to prove two direct consequences of the chain rule, which were just[/q1]
one
[q1]> step - from the chain rule to the answer. I don't know what they were[/q1]
after.
[q1]> It also asked about derivatives of maps and directional derivatives, which was fairly easy I[/q1]
[q1]> thought, until it asked what the matrix for (d_x0)f was, which i thought was what (d_x0)f actually[/q1]
[q1]> was. I amended my answer to fit[/q1]
n
[q1]> with the context, saying (d_x0)f was the map.[/q1]

Don't read on if you hate post-mortems... I haven't done any pure for aaagggess so miss it a
little bit

Well the derivative of a function at a point is a linear map e.g. the derivative of x^2 at x= x_0 is
the linear map y |-> 2 x_0 y. Now by choosing co-ordinates we can rep. this by a (1*1) matrix [ 2x_0
] (to my mind this is actually easier to understand if we practice on e.g. functions |R^3 -> |R^2
rather than |R -> |R. ) I guess that is what they wanted. Also fits in very easily with directional
derivatives

[q1]> Oh well, live and learn. I shall know my fate in a few weeks.[/q1]

Indeed. Best of luck with the results.
Ray Pang
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
[q1]>[/q1]
[q2]> > Well there was a question on norms and linear maps, and boundedness/continuity and the operator[/q2]
[q2]> > norm. I did OK on that, and it's fair to say I should've done better.[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Ah, ok I understand now. Seems like you call a lot of Analysis differentiation.[/q1]

Well yeah, it is more of an Analysisy topic, or maybe Metric Spaces.

[q1]>[/q1]
[q2]> > The second question was bizarre. It asked for the Chain Rule, and then[/q2]
[q1]> asked[/q1]
[q2]> > you to prove two direct consequences of the chain rule, which were just[/q2]
[q1]> one[/q1]
[q2]> > step - from the chain rule to the answer. I don't know what they were[/q2]
[q1]> after.[/q1]
[q2]> > It also asked about derivatives of maps and directional derivatives,[/q2]
which
[q2]> > was fairly easy I thought, until it asked what the matrix for (d_x0)f[/q2]
was,
[q2]> > which i thought was what (d_x0)f actually was. I amended my answer to[/q2]
fit
[q1]> n[/q1]
[q2]> > with the context, saying (d_x0)f was the map.[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Don't read on if you hate post-mortems... I haven't done any pure for aaagggess so miss it a[/q1]
[q1]> little bit[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Well the derivative of a function at a point is a linear map e.g. the derivative of x^2 at x= x_0[/q1]
[q1]> is the linear map y |-> 2 x_0 y. Now by[/q1]
choosing
[q1]> co-ordinates we can rep. this by a (1*1) matrix [ 2x_0 ] (to my mind this[/q1]
is
[q1]> actually easier to understand if we practice on e.g. functions |R^3 ->[/q1]
[q1]|R^2[/q1]
[q1]> rather than |R -> |R. ) I guess that is what they wanted. Also fits in[/q1]
very
[q1]> easily with directional derivatives[/q1]

Yes, that's what I put. I think I should've got some marks for it. I got the link with directional
derivatives - fairly easy that.

[q2]> > Oh well, live and learn. I shall know my fate in a few weeks.[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Indeed. Best of luck with the results.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]

Thanks. I'll need it. Stil got 6 exams left, which means I miss the England vs Brazil game as
well. Argh.
Cynical Chris
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
"Ray Pang" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
[q1]> Today's Differentiation exam was a disaster for everybody who I've spoken[/q1]
to
[q1]> (bar one), and it had me totally bemused too.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> What are the typical actions taken after nearly everybody fails? About[/q1]
half
[q1]> of the room (100 people) left after about 70 mins.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> So what I want to know really is how likely is it that the lecturer will[/q1]
not
[q1]> just say "serves you all right for not doing the work" which isn't true,[/q1]
and
[q1]> decide to bump all the marks up?[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> In contrast, the Vector analysis paper was a dream. 80%+.[/q1]

Ditto for one of our papers which was more due to a ****e lecturer than anything else (although it
was the hardest module). I'm guessing (hoping!) they'll scale the marks up then sack the lecturer...

Chris.
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (214)
12.65%
Excited (154)
9.1%
Worried (304)
17.97%
Terrified (376)
22.22%
Meh (162)
9.57%
Confused (37)
2.19%
Putting on a brave face (232)
13.71%
Impatient (213)
12.59%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise