The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
My parents got employed when they graduated from an ex-poly university. Basically, in my opinion, they will concerned about the degree classification than what university you go to.
Reply 2
I think generally students are more bothered about the university they go to than employers.
Reply 3
kingslaw
I think generally students are more bothered about the university they go to than employers.

That is because employers are not that bothered about which uni you go to. They just care about you as a whole and the degree classification you got.
Reply 4
what about the grade you get?
Reply 5
ponjavic
what about the grade you get?

Also that too.
Reply 6
trev
That is because employers are not that bothered about which uni you go to. They just care about you as a whole and the degree classification you got.

Well they care to an extent. Standards aren't equal across the board.
Im quite sure the uni you go to does actually matter whether you'de be considered for some jobs, like top investment banks would employ someone from Manchester met or anything, even if they had a 1st. Going to a good uni shows that you have worked hard all the way through and would guess that appealing to employers. Plus at better unis you may have recieved better teaching and experiences.
I suppose it depends on the employer. Obviously it's in your best interests to go to the best uni you can.
Reply 9
john williams
Im quite sure the uni you go to does actually matter whether you'de be considered for some jobs, like top investment banks would employ someone from Manchester met or anything, even if they had a 1st. Going to a good uni shows that you have worked hard all the way through and would guess that appealing to employers. Plus at better unis you may have recieved better teaching and experiences.

Ok can you proove firms like KMPG and investment banking companies have never employed an MMU graduate? It seems like a sweeping statement that you can't backup.
Reply 10
Some City firms tend to be quite snobbish about particular universities...personally I don't think they're worth working for though.
Reply 11
AT82
Ok can you proove firms like KMPG and investment banking companies have never employed an MMU graduate? It seems like a sweeping statement that you can't backup.

Your username is giving me a headache :frown:
Reply 12
Squishy
Some City firms tend to be quite snobbish about particular universities...personally I don't think they're worth working for though.

I agree with you, I would hate to work in that kind of snobbish environment full members of the old boys club.

Time - Why? do you prefer my old name?
Reply 13
AT82
I agree with you, I would hate to work in that kind of snobbish environment full members of the old boys club.

Time - Why? do you prefer my old name?

How are people able to change their usernames? :confused:
AT82

No but i meant in general universities like MMU (or any others ranked lowly) wouldnt be favoured by top firms, when they can get graduates from higher unis...its pretty obvious.
Sarky
How are people able to change their usernames? :confused:

PM a Supermod, iv been meaning to change mine for ages, but havent got round to it.
Reply 16
john williams
No but i meant in general universities like MMU (or any others ranked lowly) wouldnt be favoured by top firms, when they can get graduates from higher unis...its pretty obvious.

But what if its the best department in the country and is renowened then surely a company would be utterly snobbish not to employ somebody? Yes of course you're more Oxbridge types get the top jobs, but then they are likely to better students anyway.

You cannot not employ somebody just becuase of the university they go to. There could be a million reasons why a person may choose MMU over Oxbridge for example.

All this has been discussed else where anyway.
kingslaw

I had that impression long ago. And if there is this bother regarding employers, the students tend to exaggerate it 'til infinity.
Reply 18
AT82
You cannot not employ somebody just becuase of the university they go to.

:biggrin: Hmmm.... You said on another thread:

AT82
I personaly would not want to employ somebody who went to all the best schools universities etc I am sure there are many SMEs that think in the same way.

Which one will you agree with tomorrow? And the day after that? :rolleyes:
Reply 19
d750
:biggrin: Hmmm.... You said on another thread:

Which one will you agree with tomorrow? And the day after that? :rolleyes:

You miss my point, if they went to Oxbridge and had a hard life or had demonstrated they had really worked hard to get in there (harder than average) and they had a very down to earth attitude then yes of course I would employ them, I would love to employ people like Pig and PQ in my company, there are also many down to earth obridge students I would love to employ, I just don't want ot employ those who just went to a good university because they thought they should.

Latest

Trending

Trending