This discussion is closed.
peacenik
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Are people snobby about which uni you go to? does it on the whole matter to employers is you go to a met? I realise that there are some uni's that have particularly good reputations but are the ones that have bad reputations?
trev
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
My parents got employed when they graduated from an ex-poly university. Basically, in my opinion, they will concerned about the degree classification than what university you go to.
kingslaw
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I think generally students are more bothered about the university they go to than employers.
trev
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by kingslaw)
I think generally students are more bothered about the university they go to than employers.
That is because employers are not that bothered about which uni you go to. They just care about you as a whole and the degree classification you got.
ponjavic
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
what about the grade you get?
trev
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ponjavic)
what about the grade you get?
Also that too.
kingslaw
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by trev)
That is because employers are not that bothered about which uni you go to. They just care about you as a whole and the degree classification you got.
Well they care to an extent. Standards aren't equal across the board.
john williams
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Im quite sure the uni you go to does actually matter whether you'de be considered for some jobs, like top investment banks would employ someone from Manchester met or anything, even if they had a 1st. Going to a good uni shows that you have worked hard all the way through and would guess that appealing to employers. Plus at better unis you may have recieved better teaching and experiences.
kellywood_5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I suppose it depends on the employer. Obviously it's in your best interests to go to the best uni you can.
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by john williams)
Im quite sure the uni you go to does actually matter whether you'de be considered for some jobs, like top investment banks would employ someone from Manchester met or anything, even if they had a 1st. Going to a good uni shows that you have worked hard all the way through and would guess that appealing to employers. Plus at better unis you may have recieved better teaching and experiences.
Ok can you proove firms like KMPG and investment banking companies have never employed an MMU graduate? It seems like a sweeping statement that you can't backup.
Squishy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Some City firms tend to be quite snobbish about particular universities...personally I don't think they're worth working for though.
Muse
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by AT82)
Ok can you proove firms like KMPG and investment banking companies have never employed an MMU graduate? It seems like a sweeping statement that you can't backup.
Your username is giving me a headache
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Squishy)
Some City firms tend to be quite snobbish about particular universities...personally I don't think they're worth working for though.
I agree with you, I would hate to work in that kind of snobbish environment full members of the old boys club.

Time - Why? do you prefer my old name?
Sarky
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by AT82)
I agree with you, I would hate to work in that kind of snobbish environment full members of the old boys club.

Time - Why? do you prefer my old name?
How are people able to change their usernames? :confused:
john williams
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by AT82)
No but i meant in general universities like MMU (or any others ranked lowly) wouldnt be favoured by top firms, when they can get graduates from higher unis...its pretty obvious.
john williams
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Sarky)
How are people able to change their usernames? :confused:
PM a Supermod, iv been meaning to change mine for ages, but havent got round to it.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by john williams)
No but i meant in general universities like MMU (or any others ranked lowly) wouldnt be favoured by top firms, when they can get graduates from higher unis...its pretty obvious.
But what if its the best department in the country and is renowened then surely a company would be utterly snobbish not to employ somebody? Yes of course you're more Oxbridge types get the top jobs, but then they are likely to better students anyway.

You cannot not employ somebody just becuase of the university they go to. There could be a million reasons why a person may choose MMU over Oxbridge for example.

All this has been discussed else where anyway.
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by kingslaw)
I had that impression long ago. And if there is this bother regarding employers, the students tend to exaggerate it 'til infinity.
d750
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by AT82)
You cannot not employ somebody just becuase of the university they go to.
Hmmm.... You said on another thread:

(Original post by AT82)
I personaly would not want to employ somebody who went to all the best schools universities etc I am sure there are many SMEs that think in the same way.
Which one will you agree with tomorrow? And the day after that? :rolleyes:
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by d750)
Hmmm.... You said on another thread:

Which one will you agree with tomorrow? And the day after that? :rolleyes:
You miss my point, if they went to Oxbridge and had a hard life or had demonstrated they had really worked hard to get in there (harder than average) and they had a very down to earth attitude then yes of course I would employ them, I would love to employ people like Pig and PQ in my company, there are also many down to earth obridge students I would love to employ, I just don't want ot employ those who just went to a good university because they thought they should.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (142)
17.95%
It's just nice to be back! (213)
26.93%
Not great so far... (283)
35.78%
I want to drop out! (153)
19.34%

Watched Threads