Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4254369.stm

Do you think this is due a rapidly developing economy leding to increased demand?

What are you views on the trade imbalance with China? Something to be concerned about or not?

(Original post by Speciez99)

Do you think this is due a rapidly developing economy leding to increased demand?

What are you views on the trade imbalance with China? Something to be concerned about or not?
    Good question. I'm sure the U.K. has a trade imbalance with China also, though not on the scale of the U.S.
    It's tough to find anything that isn't made in China. Seems like the only thing we can sell is technology.
    I noticed the article had a couple of pro's and con's concerning the imbalance, but it seems to me that you cannot buy more than you sell.

On the other hand, we're over 7 trillion in debt right now, so what's a few billion here and there.

(Original post by Douglas)
    Good question. I'm sure the U.K. has a trade imbalance with China also, though not on the scale of the U.S.
    It's tough to find anything that isn't made in China. Seems like the only thing we can sell is technology.
    I noticed the article had a couple of pro's and con's concerning the imbalance, but it seems to me that you cannot buy more than you sell.

On the other hand, we're over 7 trillion in debt right now, so what's a few billion here and there.
    course you can buy more than you sell. Ever heard of a credit card?

whether its with china or another country makes relatively little difference, the key issue is the trade imbalance itself, and the manipulation of the value of the dollar.
    The pegging of yaun to dollar doesn't help matters for the rest of us either

(Original post by foolfarian)
    whether its with china or another country makes relatively little difference, the key issue is the trade imbalance itself, and the manipulation of the value of the dollar.
    The pegging of yaun to dollar doesn't help matters for the rest of us either
    I thought I heard some rumblings about the Chinese unpegging the Yaun from the USD.

ReputationRep:
    course you can buy more than you sell. Ever heard of a credit card?
    In fact that's what a defecit is; buying more than you sell.

ReputationRep:
    I thought some people may of chosen to comment on the fact the trade inbalance was with the next superpower in waiting....

Hence the fact it was china would be important, but obviously no one has this take.

ReputationRep:
    I thought some people may of chosen to comment on the fact the trade inbalance was with the next superpower in waiting....

Hence the fact it was china would be important, but obviously no one has this take.
    I'm not convinced of that. I remember in the 80's everyone trying to learn Japanese "......if you can't speak Japanese you're dead in the water" was common sentiment. Needless to say Japan didn't become the next superpower; in fact it near as damn went to the wall.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    I'm not convinced of that. I remember in the 80's everyone trying to learn Japanese "......if you can't speak Japanese you're dead in the water" was common sentiment. Needless to say Japan didn't become the next superpower; in fact it near as damn went to the wall.
    I am not suggesting they are, I just thougth their recent rapid progression might of been of interest to some people. Certainly their economy and trade has expanded massive, one will have to wait to see if its bulid on sand or not like the Japanese.

(Original post by Howard)
    In fact that's what a defecit is; buying more than you sell.
    indeed, it just sounded like douglas' remark was based on ye olde 'direct exchange of goods' principle

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.